I2C off board distances

Started by Colin MacDougall September 16, 2004
Hi Neil, I think the link you meant was: http://www.synthcom.com/~nb/controller3.jpg (lower case "c") The Fry's receipt makes it look so much more real ;-) PS: several of your stinky pics don't show up... is the images directory in the right place? Bob
No! I meant: http://www.synthcom.com/~nb/controller3.JPG
> PS: several of your stinky pics don't show up... is the images directory > in > the right place?
That whole directory is a cobwebsite .... -->Neil
Colin MacDougall <colin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
: Has anyone any experience of running an I2C bus from
: a PCB to a remote I2C device ? I am thinking of
: connecting a remote Dallas Semiconductor I2C temperature
: sensor IC to a micro over a length of 4 or 5 metres of
: wire. The temp sensor would be fixed to the ceiling to
: measure room temperature and the micro would be in a
: monitoring / control box on the wall.

: Could I run this at the typical 400 KHz clock speed with
: a decent bit of screened cable ?

The Dallas/Maxium 1 wire interface is more suited for this. You can use a i2c
to 1wire interface that Maxium just released and use a 18S20 1 wire temp
sensor. They make a RS232 to 1 wire interface also.

1 wire info: http://www.1wire.org/ and http://www.maxim-ic.com/

I have a 60' or so cable run to several of my weather sensors at home that
uses the 1 wire interface.

See:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/greghol/wx/weather.html

--
Greg Holdren
greg (dot) holdren (at) <initials of company> (dot) com

Colin MacDougall wrote:

> Has anyone any experience of running an I2C bus from > a PCB to a remote I2C device ? I am thinking of > connecting a remote Dallas Semiconductor I2C temperature > sensor IC to a micro over a length of 4 or 5 metres of > wire. The temp sensor would be fixed to the ceiling to > measure room temperature and the micro would be in a > monitoring / control box on the wall. > > Could I run this at the typical 400 KHz clock speed with > a decent bit of screened cable ? > > Colin
Look at the USB specs (USB.org) the USB protocol is built on top of I2C. By the way SM Bus is too, but I don not think that is designed to go off board very far.
Neil Kurzman <nsk@mail.asb.com> wrote:
> Colin MacDougall wrote:
[...]
> > sensor IC to a micro over a length of 4 or 5 metres of
[...]
> Look at the USB specs (USB.org) the USB protocol is built on top of > I2C.
... and has a maximum allowed cable length of 5 meters between active components. Which likely means that it's unsuitable for the case at hand. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
USB is not based on I2C. USB has unique electrical and protocol
characteristics invented for USB.