Looking for an expert opinion

Started by James Yin September 11, 2004
I've been wanting to create a low-cost router powered by freebsd, i
can't seem to decide on what embedded hardware to use. Does anyone
have any suggestions? i am on a very tight budget. I've been searching
around but cant find anything under $150 that runs optimal on freebsd

Thanks for your advice,

James Yin

Yin Computer Corp
On 2004-09-12, Brian C. Lane <bcl@brianlane.com> wrote:

>| I've been wanting to create a low-cost router powered by freebsd, i >| can't seem to decide on what embedded hardware to use. Does anyone >| have any suggestions? i am on a very tight budget. I've been searching >| around but cant find anything under $150 that runs optimal on freebsd >| >| Thanks for your advice, >| >| James Yin >| >| Yin Computer Corp > > Is this just for a 1-off project or for mass production? You might take > a look at the Linksys WRT54G, it runs Linux, has a 4 port switch and > 802.11 and has been extensivly hacked.
Does it run freebsd? -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Yow! I want my nose at in lights! visi.com
Hi, James,

James Yin <jamesyin1980@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been wanting to create a low-cost router powered by freebsd, i > can't seem to decide on what embedded hardware to use. Does anyone > have any suggestions? i am on a very tight budget. I've been searching > around but cant find anything under $150 that runs optimal on freebsd
Are you married to FreeBSD? You might consider NetBSD, instead. Very similar stack, etc. but supported on far more targets. HTH, --don
"Don" <none@given> wrote in message news:<10kbl3e1gh6d2df@corp.supernews.com>...
> Hi, James, > > James Yin <jamesyin1980@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:80ec63cd.0409110842.1e978c65@posting.google.com... > > I've been wanting to create a low-cost router powered by freebsd, i > > can't seem to decide on what embedded hardware to use. Does anyone > > have any suggestions? i am on a very tight budget. I've been searching > > around but cant find anything under $150 that runs optimal on freebsd > > Are you married to FreeBSD? You might consider NetBSD, instead. > Very similar stack, etc. but supported on far more targets. > > HTH, > --don
Don, No I am not married to FreeBSD but i do prefer it :) NetBSD would be fine also so would linux cost is the most important factor, if it can run either one of the 3 it would be perfect we are looking for a board that will cost around $20 something similar to what LinkSys uses for their residential routers