TCP/ IP, USB stacks and ThreadX

Started by vivek November 27, 2007
Iam using Freescale's COLDFIRE processor MCF 5485.

I have downloaded TCP/IP and USB stack which is freely available.(for
coldfire processor).

I plan to go for ThreadX RTOS. ThreadX has TCP/IP stack and USB stack
which is NOT FREE.

Are these stacks RTOS dependent ? so that i can buy only the core OR
should i buy these stacks that come with ThreadX.

Thanks,
VIVEK
Le Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:04:29 -0800, vivek a écrit:

> Iam using Freescale's COLDFIRE processor MCF 5485. > > I have downloaded TCP/IP and USB stack which is freely available.(for > coldfire processor). > > I plan to go for ThreadX RTOS. ThreadX has TCP/IP stack and USB stack > which is NOT FREE. > > Are these stacks RTOS dependent ? so that i can buy only the core OR > should i buy these stacks that come with ThreadX.
Ask ThreadX vendors !
> > Thanks, > VIVEK
-- HBV
"vivek" <gvivek2004@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Iam using Freescale's COLDFIRE processor MCF 5485. > > I have downloaded TCP/IP and USB stack which is freely available.(for > coldfire processor).
<snip>
How are people supposed to know which stacks you are talking about? -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org 14 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
In message <c%Q2j.53871$c_1.42511@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
FreeRTOS.org <noemail@address.com> writes
Stop being pedantic.... the answer is obviously: Yes. (But no if you use the other one) -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:04:29 -0800 (PST), vivek <gvivek2004@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Iam using Freescale's COLDFIRE processor MCF 5485. > >I have downloaded TCP/IP and USB stack which is freely available.(for >coldfire processor). > >I plan to go for ThreadX RTOS. ThreadX has TCP/IP stack and USB stack >which is NOT FREE. > >Are these stacks RTOS dependent ? so that i can buy only the core OR >should i buy these stacks that come with ThreadX.
No, but limited in functionality. -- 42Bastian Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use <same-name>@monlynx.de instead !
In message
<93a9c1c7-a053-459f-9bd3-ec511476b279@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
vivek <gvivek2004@gmail.com> writes
>Iam using Freescale's COLDFIRE processor MCF 5485. > >I have downloaded TCP/IP and USB stack which is freely available.(for >coldfire processor). > >I plan to go for ThreadX RTOS. ThreadX has TCP/IP stack and USB stack >which is NOT FREE. > >Are these stacks RTOS dependent ? so that i can buy only the core OR >should i buy these stacks that come with ThreadX. > >Thanks, >VIVEK
It makes more sense to use the stacks that are part of the RTOS. You will get support and you have some guarantee that they will work as expected. NOTHING in life is free. Go and ask your company accountant how much you cost the company per hour... this is usually a lot more than what they pay you. (Salary + taxes + desk+ lighting+ space+ heat etc etc ) Now divide the cost of the ThreadX stacks by the cost of your time (to the company) per hour. Can you produce those stacks for that number of hours? Likewise... how long will it take you to get the "free" stacks to work with ThreadX? Multiply that time by the cost per hour... The other minor point is usually "free" software from silicon vendors is "sold as seen" and unsupported. If you have a problem you are on your own. Usually at this point "free" works out as "expensive". By the time you have decided the "free" software from silicon is not as good value as the commercial stuff you have already bought the tools and committed to the MCU so they job of the free SW is done. Another sale of the silicon. -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Chris Hills wrote:
> vivek <gvivek2004@gmail.com> writes >
... snip ...
> >> Are these stacks RTOS dependent ? so that i can buy only the core >> OR should i buy these stacks that come with ThreadX. > > It makes more sense to use the stacks that are part of the RTOS. > You will get support and you have some guarantee that they will > work as expected. > > NOTHING in life is free. Go and ask your company accountant how > much you cost the company per hour... this is usually a lot more > than what they pay you. (Salary + taxes + desk+ lighting+ space+ > heat etc etc ) > > Now divide the cost of the ThreadX stacks by the cost of your time > (to the company) per hour. Can you produce those stacks for that > number of hours? > > Likewise... how long will it take you to get the "free" stacks to > work with ThreadX? Multiply that time by the cost per hour... > > The other minor point is usually "free" software from silicon > vendors is "sold as seen" and unsupported. If you have a problem > you are on your own. > > Usually at this point "free" works out as "expensive". > > By the time you have decided the "free" software from silicon is > not as good value as the commercial stuff you have already bought > the tools and committed to the MCU so they job of the free SW is > done. Another sale of the silicon.
Now this makes much more sense than your usual anti-opensource drivel. At least here you are picking on the 'free' software that accompanies hardware, without source. Of course you must realize that, in general, opensource software is better supported, more user responsive, and better performing than the expensive paid-for suites with anti-copying gyrations etc. Congratulations. Keep it up. -- Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net) <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> Try the download section. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
In message <474D8531.F0BD8E6@yahoo.com>, CBFalconer
<cbfalconer@yahoo.com> writes
>Chris Hills wrote: >> vivek <gvivek2004@gmail.com> writes >> >... snip ... >> >>> Are these stacks RTOS dependent ? so that i can buy only the core >>> OR should i buy these stacks that come with ThreadX. >> >> It makes more sense to use the stacks that are part of the RTOS. >> You will get support and you have some guarantee that they will >> work as expected. >> >> NOTHING in life is free. Go and ask your company accountant how >> much you cost the company per hour... this is usually a lot more >> than what they pay you. (Salary + taxes + desk+ lighting+ space+ >> heat etc etc ) >> >> Now divide the cost of the ThreadX stacks by the cost of your time >> (to the company) per hour. Can you produce those stacks for that >> number of hours? >> >> Likewise... how long will it take you to get the "free" stacks to >> work with ThreadX? Multiply that time by the cost per hour... >> >> The other minor point is usually "free" software from silicon >> vendors is "sold as seen" and unsupported. If you have a problem >> you are on your own. >> >> Usually at this point "free" works out as "expensive". >> >> By the time you have decided the "free" software from silicon is >> not as good value as the commercial stuff you have already bought >> the tools and committed to the MCU so they job of the free SW is >> done. Another sale of the silicon. > >Now this makes much more sense than your usual anti-opensource >drivel. At least here you are picking on the 'free' software that >accompanies hardware, without source.
Who said without source?
> Of course you must realize >that, in general, opensource software is better supported, more >user responsive, and better performing than the expensive paid-for
Absolutely not.
>suites with anti-copying gyrations etc.
. BTW the TCP/IP and USB stacks I do are in source form without copy protection.... -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Le Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:28:41 +0000, Chris Hills a &eacute;crit:

> In message <474D8531.F0BD8E6@yahoo.com>, CBFalconer > <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> writes >>Chris Hills wrote: >>> vivek <gvivek2004@gmail.com> writes >>> >>... snip ... >>> >>>> Are these stacks RTOS dependent ? so that i can buy only the core >>>> OR should i buy these stacks that come with ThreadX. >>> >>> It makes more sense to use the stacks that are part of the RTOS. >>> You will get support and you have some guarantee that they will >>> work as expected. >>> >>> NOTHING in life is free. Go and ask your company accountant how >>> much you cost the company per hour... this is usually a lot more >>> than what they pay you. (Salary + taxes + desk+ lighting+ space+ >>> heat etc etc ) >>> >>> Now divide the cost of the ThreadX stacks by the cost of your time >>> (to the company) per hour. Can you produce those stacks for that >>> number of hours? >>> >>> Likewise... how long will it take you to get the "free" stacks to >>> work with ThreadX? Multiply that time by the cost per hour... >>> >>> The other minor point is usually "free" software from silicon >>> vendors is "sold as seen" and unsupported. If you have a problem >>> you are on your own. >>> >>> Usually at this point "free" works out as "expensive". >>> >>> By the time you have decided the "free" software from silicon is >>> not as good value as the commercial stuff you have already bought >>> the tools and committed to the MCU so they job of the free SW is >>> done. Another sale of the silicon. >> >>Now this makes much more sense than your usual anti-opensource >>drivel. At least here you are picking on the 'free' software that >>accompanies hardware, without source. > > Who said without source? > >> Of course you must realize >>that, in general, opensource software is better supported, more >>user responsive, and better performing than the expensive paid-for > > Absolutely not. > >>suites with anti-copying gyrations etc. > . > BTW the TCP/IP and USB stacks I do are in source form without copy > protection....
Hi Chris, So you release these stacks under GPL ? And may be therefore suggest to your clients to subscribe for paid (and efficent) assistance provided by you ? Congratulation ! You are an advocate of the free software without knowing it. Selling Free Software is OK! Cf. http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Habib. -- HBV
> So you release these stacks under GPL ?
That is not remotely what he said. OT: Why do news group posters place a space before punctuation marks? -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org 14 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference