[OT] -- Wireless Access Points with Signal Strength Indication?

Started by Tim Wescott December 9, 2007
I recently replaced my wireless router with another of the same make and
model (Linksys WRT54G).  In spite of the fact that it's 'the same', it
seems to put out less power than the last one.

The current one works fine in the house, but I run my business out of a
detached garage, and the access point out there can't quite see the
router.  I've solved this problem before with clever antenna placement,
and for a while by using an external antenna.

But the access point I have (a Linksys WET11), aside from being 802.11b,
also doesn't sport a signal strength indicator, which I need to really
assess what's going on with the antenna setup.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an access point that has a signal
strength indicator?  It doesn't have to be external -- if the thing has a
means of getting to it via Ethernet to query the signal strength that
would be fine.  I just need a way of checking to see what good any
antenna shenanigans I'm playing may be doing.

Your suggestions are welcome, thanks.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

> I recently replaced my wireless router with another of the same make and > model (Linksys WRT54G). In spite of the fact that it's 'the same', it > seems to put out less power than the last one. > > The current one works fine in the house, but I run my business out of a > detached garage, and the access point out there can't quite see the > router. I've solved this problem before with clever antenna placement, > and for a while by using an external antenna. > > But the access point I have (a Linksys WET11), aside from being 802.11b, > also doesn't sport a signal strength indicator, which I need to really > assess what's going on with the antenna setup. > > Does anyone have any suggestions for an access point that has a signal > strength indicator? It doesn't have to be external -- if the thing has a > means of getting to it via Ethernet to query the signal strength that > would be fine. I just need a way of checking to see what good any > antenna shenanigans I'm playing may be doing. > > Your suggestions are welcome, thanks.
I made the basic indicator of the field strength (diode + peak detector + meter) and discovered that the actual transmit power is very different for the different WiFi devices. No wonder that the devices with the higher power are working better. In short: dLink sucks, 2Wire rules, Belkin and LinkSys mediocre. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
On 2007-12-10, Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote:

> But the access point I have (a Linksys WET11), aside from being 802.11b, > also doesn't sport a signal strength indicator, which I need to really > assess what's going on with the antenna setup.
Are you sure? I've used a couple WET11 bridges and they always displayed signal quality number on the status page. -- Grant
Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> hath wroth:

Do you have a WET11 v1 or v2? They're quite different including different software. V1 <http://www.linksys.com/ui/files/WET11/v1/1.4.2/> The v1 version does NOT have a signal level or quality indicator. V2 <http://www.linksys.com/ui/files/WET11/v2/> The signal quality is on the Status page at: <http://www.linksys.com/ui/files/WET11/v2/status.html> You can extract the signal strengths from the management packets flying back and forth using Netstumbler (Windows) or Kismet (Linux) using a seperate computer. If you are stuck with Vista, see: <http://www.techidiots.net/project-pages/vistumbler/view> -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 18:49:33 -0600, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

> Tim Wescott wrote: > >> I recently replaced my wireless router with another of the same make >> and model (Linksys WRT54G). In spite of the fact that it's 'the same', >> it seems to put out less power than the last one. >> >> The current one works fine in the house, but I run my business out of a >> detached garage, and the access point out there can't quite see the >> router. I've solved this problem before with clever antenna placement, >> and for a while by using an external antenna. >> >> But the access point I have (a Linksys WET11), aside from being >> 802.11b, also doesn't sport a signal strength indicator, which I need >> to really assess what's going on with the antenna setup. >> >> Does anyone have any suggestions for an access point that has a signal >> strength indicator? It doesn't have to be external -- if the thing has >> a means of getting to it via Ethernet to query the signal strength that >> would be fine. I just need a way of checking to see what good any >> antenna shenanigans I'm playing may be doing. >> >> Your suggestions are welcome, thanks. > > > I made the basic indicator of the field strength (diode + peak detector > + meter) and discovered that the actual transmit power is very different > for the different WiFi devices. No wonder that the devices with the > higher power are working better. > > In short: dLink sucks, 2Wire rules, Belkin and LinkSys mediocre. > > > Vladimir Vassilevsky > DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
I considered that, but unless the receivers suck big time that's not going to help me on the receive end, which is where I really need it -- the underlying technical problem is that the RF has to get through a 8 inch thick concrete wall, then to an access point that's inside a metal building with some inconveniently located windows. I had used a Cantenna before, which was great until it corroded, but even then pointing it was b'guess and b'gosh. -- Tim Wescott Control systems and communications consulting http://www.wescottdesign.com Need to learn how to apply control theory in your embedded system? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" by Tim Wescott Elsevier/Newnes, http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 18:19:59 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> hath wroth: > >>But the access point I have (a Linksys WET11), aside from being 802.11b, >>also doesn't sport a signal strength indicator, which I need to really >>assess what's going on with the antenna setup. > > Do you have a WET11 v1 or v2? They're quite different including > different software. > > V1 > <http://www.linksys.com/ui/files/WET11/v1/1.4.2/> The v1 version does > NOT have a signal level or quality indicator.
V nothing, which I assume means V1.
I'll try one or the other. Thankfully I'm _not_ stuck with Vista. -- Tim Wescott Control systems and communications consulting http://www.wescottdesign.com Need to learn how to apply control theory in your embedded system? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" by Tim Wescott Elsevier/Newnes, http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C83AB3.3B3B05E0

"Tim Wescott" <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote in message =
>I recently replaced my wireless router with another of the same make =
and=20
> model (Linksys WRT54G). In spite of the fact that it's 'the same', it =
> seems to put out less power than the last one. >=20 > The current one works fine in the house, but I run my business out of =
a=20
> detached garage, and the access point out there can't quite see the=20 > router. I've solved this problem before with clever antenna =
placement,=20
> and for a while by using an external antenna. >=20 > But the access point I have (a Linksys WET11), aside from being =
802.11b,=20
> also doesn't sport a signal strength indicator, which I need to really =
> assess what's going on with the antenna setup. >=20 > Does anyone have any suggestions for an access point that has a signal =
> strength indicator? It doesn't have to be external -- if the thing =
has a=20
> means of getting to it via Ethernet to query the signal strength that=20 > would be fine. I just need a way of checking to see what good any=20 > antenna shenanigans I'm playing may be doing. >=20 > Your suggestions are welcome, thanks. >=20
Sounds like you could use the dd-wrt firmware in the AP. It does allow = you to increase tx power. And the stats page is good. You can also set it as a wireless bridge, which can solve the problems = with small antennas in the adaptor cards. For the 54G, you need the micro version of RC4. Cheers ------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C83AB3.3B3B05E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable =EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16544" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>"Tim Wescott" &lt;<A=20 href=3D"mailto:tim@seemywebsite.com">tim@seemywebsite.com</A>&gt; wrote = in message=20 <A=20 href=3D"news:UPCdnTuc64RUFcHanZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@web-ster.com">news:UPCdnTuc= 64RUFcHanZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@web-ster.com</A>...</DIV> <DIV>&gt;I recently replaced my wireless router with another of the same = make=20 and <BR>&gt; model (Linksys WRT54G).&nbsp; In spite of the fact that = it's 'the=20 same', it <BR>&gt; seems to put out less power than the last = one.<BR>&gt;=20 <BR>&gt; The current one works fine in the house, but I run my business = out of a=20 <BR>&gt; detached garage, and the access point out there can't quite see = the=20 <BR>&gt; router.&nbsp; I've solved this problem before with clever = antenna=20 placement, <BR>&gt; and for a while by using an external = antenna.<BR>&gt;=20 <BR>&gt; But the access point I have (a Linksys WET11), aside from being = 802.11b, <BR>&gt; also doesn't sport a signal strength indicator, which = I need=20 to really <BR>&gt; assess what's going on with the antenna = setup.<BR>&gt;=20 <BR>&gt; Does anyone have any suggestions for an access point that has a = signal=20 <BR>&gt; strength indicator?&nbsp; It doesn't have to be external -- if = the=20 thing has a <BR>&gt; means of getting to it via Ethernet to query the = signal=20 strength that <BR>&gt; would be fine.&nbsp; I just need a way of = checking to see=20 what good any <BR>&gt; antenna shenanigans I'm playing may be = doing.<BR>&gt;=20 <BR>&gt; Your suggestions are welcome, thanks.<BR>&gt; <BR></DIV> <DIV>Sounds like you could use the dd-wrt firmware in the AP. &nbsp;It = does=20 allow you to increase tx power. And the stats page is good.</DIV> <DIV>You can also set it as a wireless bridge, which can solve the = problems with=20 small antennas in the adaptor cards.</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For the 54G, you need the micro version = of=20 RC4.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cheers</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C83AB3.3B3B05E0--

Yep. No signal indication. Perhaps it's time to retire this 802.11b only device? You might find this hack of interest: <http://forums.star-os.com/showthread.php?t=430 > Kinda drastic just to get a signal strength indication, but might be worth trying.
>I'll try one or the other. Thankfully I'm _not_ stuck with Vista.
So far, I've done 6 downgrades from Vista to XP for customers that fail to appreciate the alleged benifits of Vista. I've got one more scheduled this week. However, there are some nifty built in wireless diagnostics in Vista: <http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/3ed3d027-5ae8-4cb0-ade5-0a7c446cd4f71033.mspx> The command: netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid will show all the SSID's it can hear including the corresponding signal strengths. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Can't you use netstumbler? http://www.netstumbler.com/ . I havent used it in years, but ISTR it does s/n ratios etc this may be of interest http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/ martin
On Dec 9, 7:31=EF=BF=BDpm, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> I recently replaced my wireless router with another of the same make and > model (Linksys WRT54G). =EF=BF=BDIn spite of the fact that it's 'the same'=
, it
> seems to put out less power than the last one. > > The current one works fine in the house, but I run my business out of a > detached garage, and the access point out there can't quite see the > router. =EF=BF=BDI've solved this problem before with clever antenna place=
ment,
> and for a while by using an external antenna. > > But the access point I have (a Linksys WET11), aside from being 802.11b, > also doesn't sport a signal strength indicator, which I need to really > assess what's going on with the antenna setup. > > Does anyone have any suggestions for an access point that has a signal > strength indicator? =EF=BF=BDIt doesn't have to be external -- if the thin=
g has a
> means of getting to it via Ethernet to query the signal strength that > would be fine. =EF=BF=BDI just need a way of checking to see what good any=
> antenna shenanigans I'm playing may be doing. > > Your suggestions are welcome, thanks. > > -- > Tim Wescott > Control systems and communications consultinghttp://www.wescottdesign.com > > Need to learn how to apply control theory in your embedded system? > "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" by Tim Wescott > Elsevier/Newnes,http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
The problem might not be signal strength, but signal interference. For 802.11b, the more 2.4 GHz wireless stuff you have around (cordless phones, wireless audio systems, even some microwave ovens), the more "cluttered" the environment gets. And obviously, this same situation manifests if your neighbors are close enough and also congest the 802.11b spectrum. As for antenna swaps, I assume you're aware that changing out the antennas would violate the low power Part-15 rules for field strength, so I won't harp any more on that. One of my networks is also 802.11(b) only. Works fine and has pretty good range. However, the laptop card (Linksys something...) "hates" to work un-elevated off the desktop. I assume there is metal or ?? in the desktop? Propping up the laptop about a half inch makes a MAJOR difference. (It's an HP with side-mounted PCMCIA slots). Anyway, just a thought to check out potential near-field obstructions. Good luck. -mpm

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference