Embedded Systems Class Question

Started by Richard January 8, 2008
On Jan 8, 6:06=A0pm, Richard <richardvan...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> In March, I'll be teaching a class called Embedded Systems. > The text (which I don't have yet) will use the PIC18???? chip and a > free windows IDE that uses the C language. > I'd like my students to be required to subscribe to and participate in > related groups. > Besided here, what other groups would be appropriate?
In my experience, your students will find their way to sources of information on the WWW without any help from you. Where I come from (UK), we use (internal) systems - based on tools like Blackboard - to support discussions about the modules we teach (questions answered by staff and qualified demonstrators). If you insist on directing your students to the WWW *and* this isn't an introductory course *and* you are willing to consider a different chip, I'd suggest you consider use of an LPC2xxx device (ARM core) and direct your students to the LPC2xxx list (more focused than comp.arch.embedded, with greater tolerance of student-level questions - plus it has less spam ...). Michael Pont (who teaches embedded systems at the University of Leicester, UK, once in a while).
David Brown wrote:

> msg wrote: > >> Richard wrote: >> >>> In March, I'll be teaching a class called Embedded Systems. >> >> <snip> >> >>> I'd like my students to be required to subscribe to and participate in >>> related groups. >>> Besided here, what other groups would be appropriate? >> >> >> I suspect the O.P.may have confused this Usenet N.G. with a 'Google >> Group' >> considering his post was made from Google Groups and he called c.a.e. a >> 'group'. His request would likely be met with more sympathy if made from >> his institution's network using an NNTP client. Also to the O.P.: please >> review this N.G.'s archive to understand the distaste that is engendered >> by clueless (often non-U.S.) student posts in order to avoid acrimony. >> > > I think your "often non-U.S." remark is a bit out of line.
<snip> Not intending to cast aspersions against any nationality, just pointing out a statistical trend. A large number of 'clueless' posts in this N.G. originate from the Indian subcontinent; perhaps as a result of intentional policies in educational institutions there, or as a result of inadequate familiarization with both the subject matter after matriculation or a disregard or ignorance of social convention in this forum. Regards, Michael
>I think your "often non-U.S." remark is a bit out of line.
The salient point I got from msg's reply is that a lot of inquiries are made from people who have a difficult time with the English language. And since the de facto language of this forum is English, therein lies the problem of poor communications, making for painful reading. Lou
msg wrote:
> David Brown wrote: > >> msg wrote: >> >>> Richard wrote: >>> >>>> In March, I'll be teaching a class called Embedded Systems. >>> >>> <snip> >>> >>>> I'd like my students to be required to subscribe to and participate in >>>> related groups. >>>> Besided here, what other groups would be appropriate? >>> >>> >>> I suspect the O.P.may have confused this Usenet N.G. with a 'Google >>> Group' >>> considering his post was made from Google Groups and he called c.a.e. a >>> 'group'. His request would likely be met with more sympathy if made >>> from >>> his institution's network using an NNTP client. Also to the O.P.: please >>> review this N.G.'s archive to understand the distaste that is engendered >>> by clueless (often non-U.S.) student posts in order to avoid acrimony. >>> >> >> I think your "often non-U.S." remark is a bit out of line. > > <snip> > Not intending to cast aspersions against any nationality, just pointing out > a statistical trend. A large number of 'clueless' posts in this N.G. > originate > from the Indian subcontinent; perhaps as a result of intentional > policies in > educational institutions there, or as a result of inadequate > familiarization > with both the subject matter after matriculation or a disregard or > ignorance > of social convention in this forum. >
Yes, I realise that - and I suspected that was what you meant. But you picked a bad choice of phrasing when you swept up the rest of the world as well as those countries that are relatively new to newsgroups and/or the subjects on hand here. It's also a bit unfair to generalise - even though a disproportionate number of clueless posts come from India, you can't then generalise to say that posts from India are often clueless. That would be like saying that since most spam comes from the USA (at least indirectly), then most posts from the USA are spam. Anyway, as long as the OP (whatever country he is in) takes to heart the message that he must educate his students before turning them lose here, then maybe we'll avoid clueless posts from that group at least.
"Vladimir Vassilevsky" <antispam_bogus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Richard wrote: >> In March, I'll be teaching a class called Embedded Systems. >> The text (which I don't have yet) will use the PIC18???? chip and a >> free windows IDE that uses the C language. >> I'd like my students to be required to subscribe to and participate in >> related groups. > > Could you please keep the stupidents away from here. Why not creating the > forum of your own? > >> Besided here, what other groups would be appropriate? > > alt.stupid.idiots > alt.morons > alt.clueless > alt.help.with.homework > > > VLV
Classy Vladimir, really classy. (Not that we don't appreciate the sentiment...) Scott
David Brown wrote:
> Pete Fenelon wrote: >> Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote: >>> Perhaps if you grade them _up_ for asking unique, penetrating questions, >> >> ...and not using "plz", "u", "thx", etc.? ;) > > ... and for not using absurd pseudonyms - real names only.
Don't forget failure to trim, and top-posting. No quicker way on the 'net to show one's ignorance than all of the above.
Mr. C wrote:
>> I think your "often non-U.S." remark is a bit out of line. > > The salient point I got from msg's reply is that a lot of inquiries > are made from people who have a difficult time with the English > language. And since the de facto language of this forum is English, > therein lies the problem of poor communications, making for painful > reading.
Yes, but there are a lot of us here who have no problems communicating in English and yet don't live in the USA. There are also a lot of people in the USA who seem to have great difficulty communicating in English (some apparently believe that you should drop half the letters in the words, and compensate by using an excessive number of punctuation marks). I understand the point Michael was making - I just think he said it rather poorly (unintentionally, of course).
sci.electronics.basics sci.electronics.design I've also found www.embedded.com pretty useful. Andrew
On Jan 8, 1:06 pm, Richard <richardvan...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> In March, I'll be teaching a class called Embedded Systems. > The text (which I don't have yet) will use the PIC18???? chip and a > free windows IDE that uses the C language. > I'd like my students to be required to subscribe to and participate in > related groups. > Besided here, what other groups would be appropriate?
Look at Circuit Cellar Magazine. I know it's not the question you asked but they have student discounts. www.CircuitCellar.com

... snip ...
Some useful URLs for this info: <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html> <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html> <http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html> -- Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net) <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> Try the download section. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com