Questions about optimizing Sensor outputs to dsp/microcontroller A/D inputs

Started by steve August 31, 2004
steve wrote:

> I assume the resistor your > talking about is for current limiting to protect the A/D.
No. If it's a proper design and sensor connection is persistent, there's no need to protect the A/D. If there's a socket/connector pair on a removable cable, this might be an aspect. This resistor is only something that I've become used to and just for convenience: I never directly connect two parts of a design unless unavoidable. If there's a resistor, this resistor can easily be removed, which results in two isolated, testable parts of my circuit. If there wouldn't be a resistor, isolating both parts might be difficult without damaging the board. If I have the choice, I insert a 0805 SMD resistor with 0 Ohms for this purpose. This one can easily be removed with the soldering iron, and later on, even a spot of solder would repair it. Bernhard
Bernhard Holzmayer <holzmayer.bernhard@deadspam.com> wrote in message news:<1137894.887Vmyn2z7@holzmayer.ifr.rt>...

> If there's a resistor, this resistor can easily be removed, which > results in two isolated, testable parts of my circuit. > If there wouldn't be a resistor, isolating both parts might be > difficult without damaging the board. > > If I have the choice, I insert a 0805 SMD resistor with 0 Ohms for > this purpose. This one can easily be removed with the soldering > iron, and later on, even a spot of solder would repair it. > > Bernhard
Ok, I understand, yes that's a great idea for debug. steve