serial port does not work on PC104

Started by Unknown January 13, 2008
Hi Everyone,
    I am now using a PC104 (model: nano-4386A,  vendor IEI world),
which will be running linux.

    Now I installed fedora core 6(kernel 2.6). but COM1 does not work
at
all. I have installed winXP on the same hardware platform, COM1 works
well. So the hardware is OK. Here is detailed info.

(1) hardware configuration: NANO-4386A, Pentium 1.6GHz, Sandisk 8GB CF
card, 1GB Ram, no hard disk. Keep the jumpers on the board as default
state.
(2) Loop back connect the COM1, that is connecting TXT to RXD. It is a
9 pin port. send and receive through the same port.
(3) Install linux OS(fedora core 2.6, kernel 2.6) on it.
(4) Test using sct, a software tool for serial port debugging.
(5) NO output through COM1, cannot receive either.
(6) The same program sct works well on my desktop, which installed the
same OS using the same DVD disk.
  By the way, there is 6 serial ports on the board.Even if I disable
the other 5 in BIOS, the only /dev/ttyS0 does not work.
(7) I can see the io address and IRQ number is correct by "dmesg |
more tty*"
   Is there anything I should pay attention to?
  Thank you!
<scstop@126.com> wrote in message

> I am now using a PC104 (model: nano-4386A, vendor IEI world), > which will be running linux. > > Now I installed fedora core 6(kernel 2.6). but COM1 does not work > at > all. I have installed winXP on the same hardware platform, COM1 works > well. So the hardware is OK. Here is detailed info. > > (1) hardware configuration: NANO-4386A, Pentium 1.6GHz, Sandisk 8GB CF > card, 1GB Ram, no hard disk. Keep the jumpers on the board as default > state. > (2) Loop back connect the COM1, that is connecting TXT to RXD. It is a > 9 pin port. send and receive through the same port. > (3) Install linux OS(fedora core 2.6, kernel 2.6) on it. > (4) Test using sct, a software tool for serial port debugging. > (5) NO output through COM1, cannot receive either. > (6) The same program sct works well on my desktop, which installed the > same OS using the same DVD disk. > By the way, there is 6 serial ports on the board.Even if I disable > the other 5 in BIOS, the only /dev/ttyS0 does not work. > (7) I can see the io address and IRQ number is correct by "dmesg | > more tty*"
Check out /etc/inittab. Maybe a getty keeps ttyS0 open allowing you to log in on it, preventing other programs from using the port. Karl Olsen
Thank you for your reply, but I have checked the file. but getty does
not keep ttyS0 open :(

scstop@126.com wrote: *** and top-posted.  Fixed ***
> "Karl Olsen" <k...@REMOVETHISpost3.tele.dk> wrote: >> <scs...@126.com> wrote in message >> >>> I am now using a PC104 (model: nano-4386A, vendor IEI world), >>> which will be running linux. >> >>> Now I installed fedora core 6(kernel 2.6). but COM1 does not >>> work at all. I have installed winXP on the same hardware >>> platform, COM1 works well. So the hardware is OK. Here is >>> detailed info. >> >>> (1) hardware configuration: NANO-4386A, Pentium 1.6GHz, Sandisk >>> 8GB CF card, 1GB Ram, no hard disk. Keep the jumpers on the >>> board as default state. >>> (2) Loop back connect the COM1, that is connecting TXT to RXD. >>> It is a 9 pin port. send and receive through the same port. >>> (3) Install linux OS(fedora core 2.6, kernel 2.6) on it. >>> (4) Test using sct, a software tool for serial port debugging. >>> (5) NO output through COM1, cannot receive either. >>> (6) The same program sct works well on my desktop, which >>> installed the same OS using the same DVD disk. By the way, >>> there is 6 serial ports on the board. Even if I disable the >>> other 5 in BIOS, the only /dev/ttyS0 does not work. >>> (7) I can see the io address and IRQ number is correct by >>> "dmesg | more tty*" >> >> Check out /etc/inittab. Maybe a getty keeps ttyS0 open allowing >> you to log in on it, preventing other programs from using the port. > > Thank you for your reply, but I have checked the file. but getty > does not keep ttyS0 open :(
Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant material. I fixed this one. See the following links: -- <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html> <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html> <http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html> <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> (taming google) <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/> (newusers) -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
scstop@126.com wrote:
> Hi Everyone, > I am now using a PC104 (model: nano-4386A, vendor IEI world), > which will be running linux. > > Now I installed fedora core 6(kernel 2.6). but COM1 does not work > at > all. I have installed winXP on the same hardware platform, COM1 works > well. So the hardware is OK. Here is detailed info. > > (1) hardware configuration: NANO-4386A, Pentium 1.6GHz, Sandisk 8GB CF > card, 1GB Ram, no hard disk. Keep the jumpers on the board as default > state. > (2) Loop back connect the COM1, that is connecting TXT to RXD. It is a > 9 pin port. send and receive through the same port. > (3) Install linux OS(fedora core 2.6, kernel 2.6) on it. > (4) Test using sct, a software tool for serial port debugging. > (5) NO output through COM1, cannot receive either. > (6) The same program sct works well on my desktop, which installed the > same OS using the same DVD disk. > By the way, there is 6 serial ports on the board.Even if I disable > the other 5 in BIOS, the only /dev/ttyS0 does not work. > (7) I can see the io address and IRQ number is correct by "dmesg | > more tty*" > Is there anything I should pay attention to?
You could check if /proc/interrupts report anything for your serial ports IRQ.
In article <0ebcd4df-f3f4-479b-afd3-e1ad21142408@f3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
 <scstop@126.com> wrote:
>Hi Everyone, > I am now using a PC104 (model: nano-4386A, vendor IEI world), >which will be running linux. > > Now I installed fedora core 6(kernel 2.6). but COM1 does not work >at >all. I have installed winXP on the same hardware platform, COM1 works >well. So the hardware is OK. Here is detailed info. > >(1) hardware configuration: NANO-4386A, Pentium 1.6GHz, Sandisk 8GB CF >card, 1GB Ram, no hard disk. Keep the jumpers on the board as default >state. >(2) Loop back connect the COM1, that is connecting TXT to RXD. It is a >9 pin port. send and receive through the same port. >(3) Install linux OS(fedora core 2.6, kernel 2.6) on it. >(4) Test using sct, a software tool for serial port debugging. >(5) NO output through COM1, cannot receive either. >(6) The same program sct works well on my desktop, which installed the >same OS using the same DVD disk. > By the way, there is 6 serial ports on the board.Even if I disable >the other 5 in BIOS, the only /dev/ttyS0 does not work. >(7) I can see the io address and IRQ number is correct by "dmesg | >more tty*" > Is there anything I should pay attention to? > Thank you!
ls -l the device and see who owns it. And what the read/write permission is. That will show if, as another poster said, there is a process sitting there waiting for a login. The owner will shift from "root" when somebody else opens up the device and the write permissions often drop to 600 or 620 from a default of 660 or 666. Then you can (as root) "stty -all </dev/ttyS0" and RTFM for ALL the bit settings in the driver. The various input control signals (DCD? CTS?) default to the "Off" state if that line is disconnected, (at least as originally implemented in the IBM PC), so you may have to disable flow control in the driver. Mark Zenier mzenier@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference