Forums

Watcom C

Started by Nickolai Leschov January 17, 2008
Hello,

I want to tried to use Open Watcom for programming my i188, and I have a 
couple of questions.

How do I make simple project compile? I created a project with DOS 
target ( " DOS - 16 bit executable (.exe)" ), but it doesn't see
the header files; neither mine nor standard ones.
Output looks like this:
< skip >
Error! E2028: _atexit is an undefined reference
Error! E2028: InitLib_ is an undefined reference
< skip >
The first line belongs to standard function, second one is function of 
my device's system library.

How do I contact the developers of Open Watcom?
I can see their emails through bug tracker on the site, but maybe they 
can be found on separate newsgroup or here?

Regards,
Nickolai Leschov
Nickolai Leschov wrote:
> Hello, > > I want to tried to use Open Watcom for programming my i188, and I have a > couple of questions. > > How do I make simple project compile? I created a project with DOS > target ( " DOS - 16 bit executable (.exe)" ), but it doesn't see > the header files; neither mine nor standard ones. > Output looks like this: > < skip > > Error! E2028: _atexit is an undefined reference > Error! E2028: InitLib_ is an undefined reference > < skip > > The first line belongs to standard function, second one is function of > my device's system library. > > How do I contact the developers of Open Watcom? > I can see their emails through bug tracker on the site, but maybe they > can be found on separate newsgroup or here? > > Regards, > Nickolai Leschov
I don't know about the second reference, but _atexit() is usally a function that gets called when the program exits. For embedded platforms where the program never exits, this can be safely replaced by a dummy void _atexit(void) { } in your source code.
Arlet Ottens wrote, On 17/01/08 19:25:
> Nickolai Leschov wrote: >> Hello, >> >> I want to tried to use Open Watcom for programming my i188, and I have >> a couple of questions.
<snip>
> I don't know about the second reference, but _atexit() is usally a > function that gets called when the program exits. For embedded platforms > where the program never exits, this can be safely replaced by a dummy > void _atexit(void) { } in your source code.
This could well not be the correct way to do it (it would not be on some embedded compilers I have used). The correct way could be to get the code to link to an appropriate version of the standard library. The OP needs to find whatever support forums exist for Open Watcom, and there is even a link to such places in the most obvious place which is http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Main_Page which was the first hit Google gave for "open watcom". Details on how specific tools work are not topical on comp.lang.c or comp.lang.c++ -- Flash Gordon
"Nickolai Leschov" <nleschov@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:fmo866$ghc$1@aioe.org...
> Hello, > > I want to tried to use Open Watcom for programming my i188, and I have a > couple of questions. > > How do I make simple project compile?
Perhaps my sequence can help you out : 1) I updated the wlsystem file in the binw directory with the following addition: system begin embedded8086 end 2) I then created a very simple startup (cstart.obj, modified from src\startup\dos) and small clib (clib88.lib). 3) To compile I do: wcl -q -c -0 -fpc -mt -s -d0 -od -l=COM myfile.c 4) To link I do: wlink file myfile.obj name myfile.bin @cc.lk were cc.lk consist of: system embedded8086 option NOCASEEXACT option NODEFAULTLIBS option map option stack=1k format dos com libfile ...\mystartup\cstart.obj library ...\myclib\clib88.lib 5) and finally I convert the bin file to Intel hex and upload it to my board. Hans www.ht-lab.com
>I created a project with DOS target ( " DOS - 16 bit executable (.exe)" ), >but it doesn't see > the header files; neither mine nor standard ones. > Output looks like this: > < skip > > Error! E2028: _atexit is an undefined reference > Error! E2028: InitLib_ is an undefined reference > < skip > > The first line belongs to standard function, second one is function of my > device's system library. > > How do I contact the developers of Open Watcom? > I can see their emails through bug tracker on the site, but maybe they can > be found on separate newsgroup or here? > > Regards, > Nickolai Leschov
HT-Lab wrote:
> Perhaps my sequence can help you out :
< skip >
> 5) and finally I convert the bin file to Intel hex and upload it to my > board.
Thanks for help. What is your platform? I guess my case is even simpler than this, as I can link standard c libraries and produce standard dos exe binaries, only the specific I/O should be done via manufacturer's library. I simply couldn't build a DOS exe program. Regards, Nickolai Leschov
> How do I contact the developers of Open Watcom? > I can see their emails through bug tracker on the site, but maybe they can > be found on separate newsgroup or here?
? - Third paragraph of the OpenWatcom homepage: ---------------- + The contributors and many users read the Open Watcom news groups regularly. They are the best place to get questions answered and to participate in the Open Watcom community. Point your news reader at the server news://news.openwatcom.org and subscribe to the groups that interest you. -+ openwatcom.users.c_cpp - Users of the Open Watcom C and C++ products -+ openwatcom.users.fortran - Users of the Open Watcom Fortran products -+ openwatcom.contributors - Developers of all Open Watcom languages, tools, and documentation -+ openwatcom.bugzilla - Automatically generated notifications about newly reported bugs and new additions to bug descriptions in the Bugzilla tracking system. Read only. + There is also an Open Watcom Announcements email list. This is a low volume list providing the latest news about the Open Watcom project. + The #watcom channel on irc.freenode.net is a place where users and contributors gather to chat about Open Watcom in real time. ---------------- -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop 14 official architecture ports, 5000 downloads per month. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#2013265948;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
"Nickolai Leschov" <nleschov@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:fmpnh1$us2$1@aioe.org...
> HT-Lab wrote: >> Perhaps my sequence can help you out : > < skip > >> 5) and finally I convert the bin file to Intel hex and upload it to my >> board. > Thanks for help. > What is your platform?
http://www.ht-lab.com/hardware/drigmorn1/drigmorn1.html Regards, Hans www.ht-lab.com I guess my case is even simpler than this, as I
> can link standard c libraries and produce standard dos exe binaries, only > the specific I/O should be done via manufacturer's library. > > I simply couldn't build a DOS exe program. > > Regards, > Nickolai Leschov