USB Host versus Client Schematic Advice?

Started by Paul March 5, 2008
Hi,

      I'd like to modify the following Colibri Toradex Evaluation
schematic:

               http://www.toradex.com/downloads/Colibri_EvaluationBoard_Schematics_Rev2.1.pdf

      Look at page 21 and 22.

      If i only want to use 1 USB port, it will probably have to
be one of the "Host" ports, right?  Like i should delete the
other ports (going to "USBC_N" and "USBC_P"), because
they are "Clients", right?

     Also, I noticed the Host USB ports are the flatter type,
while the Clients look to be the fatter ones....why is this?

Paul wrote:
> Hi, > > I'd like to modify the following Colibri Toradex Evaluation > schematic: > > http://www.toradex.com/downloads/Colibri_EvaluationBoard_Schematics_Rev2.1.pdf > > > Look at page 21 and 22. > > If i only want to use 1 USB port, it will probably have to > be one of the "Host" ports, right? Like i should delete the
If you want a host port, yes, if you want a device port maybe.
> other ports (going to "USBC_N" and "USBC_P"), because > they are "Clients", right? > > Also, I noticed the Host USB ports are the flatter type, > while the Clients look to be the fatter ones....why is this? > >
I think you have more homework to do. Have you used a PC before ?? Look at the PC in front of you. Another gmail lost puppy. Where do they keep coming from ?? donald
Paul wrote:
> Hi, > > I'd like to modify the following Colibri Toradex Evaluation > schematic: > > http://www.toradex.com/downloads/Colibri_EvaluationBoard_Schematics_Rev2.1.pdf > > > Look at page 21 and 22. > > If i only want to use 1 USB port, it will probably have to > be one of the "Host" ports, right? Like i should delete the > other ports (going to "USBC_N" and "USBC_P"), because > they are "Clients", right? > > Also, I noticed the Host USB ports are the flatter type, > while the Clients look to be the fatter ones....why is this? >
Unzip the following package. It contains the USB 2.0 standard. Open usb_20.pdf and flip to the first page of Chapter 6. There, you'll see examples of upstream and downstream connectors. Your very own computer, uses the flat connector, so you can see an example in the I/O area on the back of your computer. http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20_092407.zip If you want to be a USB designer, then reading these may help as well. http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/hs_usb_pdg_r1_0.pdf http://www.usb.org/developers/whitepapers/power_delivery_motherboards.pdf Paul
On Mar 5, 8:20=EF=BF=BDpm, Paul <nos...@needed.com> wrote:
> Paul wrote: > > Hi, > > > =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD I'd like to modify the following Colibri T=
oradex Evaluation
> > schematic: > > >http://www.toradex.com/downloads/Colibri_EvaluationBoard_Schematics_R... > > > =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD Look at page 21 and 22. > > > =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD If i only want to use 1 USB port, it will =
probably have to
> > be one of the "Host" ports, right? =EF=BF=BDLike i should delete the > > other ports (going to "USBC_N" and "USBC_P"), because > > they are "Clients", right? > > > =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BDAlso, I noticed the Host USB ports are the =
flatter type,
> > while the Clients look to be the fatter ones....why is this? > > Unzip the following package. It contains the USB 2.0 standard. > Open usb_20.pdf and flip to the first page of Chapter 6. There, > you'll see examples of upstream and downstream connectors. > Your very own computer, uses the flat connector, so you can > see an example in the I/O area on the back of your computer. > > http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20_092407.zip > > If you want to be a USB designer, then reading these may > help as well. > > http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/hs_usb_pdg_r1_0.pdfhttp://www.usb.org/d=
evelopers/whitepapers/power_delivery_motherboards...
> > =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD Paul- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -
Well, i don't really want to be a USB designer per se, i just want to be able to hook this one up correctly. So again, it looks like if i only want to have one USB port, it will have to be a "Host" port, right? And this will be using the flat connectors, right?
"Paul" <Quiller123@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Mar 5, 8:20?pm, Paul <nos...@needed.com> wrote:
> Paul wrote: > > Hi, > > > ? ? ? I'd like to modify the following Colibri Toradex Evaluation > > schematic: > > >http://www.toradex.com/downloads/Colibri_EvaluationBoard_Schematics_R... > > > ? ? ? Look at page 21 and 22. > > > ? ? ? If i only want to use 1 USB port, it will probably have to > > be one of the "Host" ports, right? ?Like i should delete the > > other ports (going to "USBC_N" and "USBC_P"), because > > they are "Clients", right? > > > ? ? ?Also, I noticed the Host USB ports are the flatter type, > > while the Clients look to be the fatter ones....why is this? > > Unzip the following package. It contains the USB 2.0 standard. > Open usb_20.pdf and flip to the first page of Chapter 6. There, > you'll see examples of upstream and downstream connectors. > Your very own computer, uses the flat connector, so you can > see an example in the I/O area on the back of your computer. > > http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20_092407.zip > > If you want to be a USB designer, then reading these may > help as well. > > http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/hs_usb_pdg_r1_0.pdfhttp://www.usb.org/developers/whitepapers/power_delivery_motherboards... > > ? ? Paul- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -
Well, i don't really want to be a USB designer per se, i just want to be able to hook this one up correctly. So again, it looks like if i only want to have one USB port, it will have to be a "Host" port, right? And this will be using the flat connectors, right? If you want to hook usb devices to it use a host port if you want to use it as a usb device use the other. All of the different types of usb connectors are functionally identical. Some are just smaller. Bob
> On Mar 5, 8:20&#65533;pm, Paul <nos...@needed.com> wrote: >> Paul wrote: >>> Hi, >>> &#65533; &#65533; &#65533; I'd like to modify the following Colibri Toradex Evaluation >>> schematic: >>> http://www.toradex.com/downloads/Colibri_EvaluationBoard_Schematics_R... >>> &#65533; &#65533; &#65533; Look at page 21 and 22. >>> &#65533; &#65533; &#65533; If i only want to use 1 USB port, it will probably have to >>> be one of the "Host" ports, right? &#65533;Like i should delete the >>> other ports (going to "USBC_N" and "USBC_P"), because >>> they are "Clients", right? >>> &#65533; &#65533; &#65533;Also, I noticed the Host USB ports are the flatter type, >>> while the Clients look to be the fatter ones....why is this? >> Unzip the following package. It contains the USB 2.0 standard. >> Open usb_20.pdf and flip to the first page of Chapter 6. There, >> you'll see examples of upstream and downstream connectors. >> Your very own computer, uses the flat connector, so you can >> see an example in the I/O area on the back of your computer. >> >> http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20_092407.zip >> >> If you want to be a USB designer, then reading these may >> help as well. >> >> http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/hs_usb_pdg_r1_0.pdfhttp://www.usb.org/developers/whitepapers/power_delivery_motherboards... >> >> &#65533; &#65533; Paul- Hide quoted text - >> >> - Show quoted text - > > Well, i don't really want to be a USB designer per se, i just > want to be able to hook this one up correctly. > > So again, it looks like if i only want to have one USB port, > it will have to be a "Host" port, right? And this will be using > the flat connectors, right?
The purpose of the flat connector, is to help you plug the right kind of device into the connector. If this design is intended to be connected to USB peripherals, then the flat connector seems appropriate. But you should really read the USB specification, at least the section I pointed to. You need to understand the concept of upstream and downstream, and why the connectors are, what they are. Paul
On 2008-03-06, Paul <Quiller123@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, i don't really want to be a USB designer per se, i just > want to be able to hook this one up correctly. > > So again, it looks like if i only want to have one USB port, > it will have to be a "Host" port, right? And this will be using > the flat connectors, right?
Without wishing to denigrate your abilities, it sounds to me as if you are in way over your head. I strongly suspect you are wasting your time trying to implement whatever it is you want to accomplish. USB is _not_ a trivial thing to implement even for experienced engineers, and it seems to me that you are lacking knowledge I would expect even from a vaguely experienced end user. The two styles of connector are for different devices. You can't say that you need one or the other based on the fact you only need one. The two ends of a USB lead are not equivalent. The one nearest to the computer is essentially the one with all the control and is functionally as well as mechanically different to the one nearest the peripheral. The 'A' plug is the rectangular one with the contacts all on the same plane that plugs into either the computer itself or to a hub that is in turn connected to the computer (possibly through another hub). This is the 'upstream' connector as connections in that direction ultimately go in the direction of the computer. The 'B' plug is squarer, with two rows of contacts. These all point downstream, away from the computer and towards the peripherals. Again, this is not merely a mechanical difference - the two sockets reflect differences in the role each device expects to play in the USB connection, essentially whether it is acting as the computer or a peripheral. Which connector your device needs depends on what it is doing. If it is to be plugged into a computer and work as a peripheral it needs a 'B' socket. If it is to replace a computer and control a devices, whether it be a printer, flash drive, keyboard or whatever, it needs an 'A' socket. As I said in my opening paragraph, issues such as these suggest a complete lack of familiarity with USB. Take look at Wikipedia's page on USB. Like many Wikipedia pages, it's a mixed bag that mixes things end users should know with a few random engineering topics thrown in for no apparent reason, but you need to understand pretty much _everything_ on that page and much more besides to successfully implement USB. -- Andrew Smallshaw andrews@sdf.lonestar.org
On Mar 6, 9:24=A0am, Andrew Smallshaw <andr...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On 2008-03-06, Paul <Quiller...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > =A0 =A0 =A0Well, i don't really want to be a USB designer per se, i just=
> > want to be able to hook this one up correctly. > > > =A0 =A0 =A0So again, it looks like if i only want to have one USB port, > > it will have to be a "Host" port, right? =A0And this will be using > > the flat connectors, right? > > Without wishing to denigrate your abilities, it sounds to me as if > you are in way over your head. =A0I strongly suspect you are wasting > your time trying to implement whatever it is you want to accomplish. > USB is _not_ a trivial thing to implement even for experienced > engineers, and it seems to me that you are lacking knowledge I would > expect even from a vaguely experienced end user. >
Errr....Maybe that's why I'm asking???!! I'm a total newbie on this subject, of course, but if you cannot be helpful without making yourself feel better by telling me how ignorant I am on this subject, then F*** Off!!
> The two styles of connector are for different devices. =A0You can't > say that you need one or the other based on the fact you only need > one. =A0The two ends of a USB lead are not equivalent. =A0The one > nearest to the computer is essentially the one with all the control > and is functionally as well as mechanically different to the one > nearest the peripheral. =A0 > > The 'A' plug is the rectangular one with the contacts all on the > same plane that plugs into either the computer itself or to a hub > that is in turn connected to the computer (possibly through another > hub). =A0This is the 'upstream' connector as connections in that > direction ultimately go in the direction of the computer. =A0The 'B' > plug is squarer, with two rows of contacts. =A0These all point > downstream, away from the computer and towards the peripherals. > Again, this is not merely a mechanical difference - the two sockets > reflect differences in the role each device expects to play in the > USB connection, essentially whether it is acting as the computer > or a peripheral. > > Which connector your device needs depends on what it is doing. =A0If > it is to be plugged into a computer and work as a peripheral it > needs a 'B' socket. =A0If it is to replace a computer and control a > devices, whether it be a printer, flash drive, keyboard or whatever, > it needs an 'A' socket. > > As I said in my opening paragraph, issues such as these suggest a > complete lack of familiarity with USB. =A0Take look at Wikipedia's > page on USB. =A0Like many Wikipedia pages, it's a mixed bag that > mixes things end users should know with a few random engineering > topics thrown in for no apparent reason, but you need to understand > pretty much _everything_ on that page and much more besides to > successfully implement USB. >
B.S.! From a wiring perspective, it's only 4 wires, with 2 pull-up resistors. Can't be too difficult....
On Mar 6, 9:24=A0am, Andrew Smallshaw <andr...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On 2008-03-06, Paul <Quiller...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > =A0 =A0 =A0Well, i don't really want to be a USB designer per se, i just=
> > want to be able to hook this one up correctly. > > > =A0 =A0 =A0So again, it looks like if i only want to have one USB port, > > it will have to be a "Host" port, right? =A0And this will be using > > the flat connectors, right? > > Without wishing to denigrate your abilities, it sounds to me as if > you are in way over your head. =A0I strongly suspect you are wasting > your time trying to implement whatever it is you want to accomplish. > USB is _not_ a trivial thing to implement even for experienced > engineers, and it seems to me that you are lacking knowledge I would > expect even from a vaguely experienced end user. > > The two styles of connector are for different devices. =A0You can't > say that you need one or the other based on the fact you only need > one. =A0The two ends of a USB lead are not equivalent. =A0The one > nearest to the computer is essentially the one with all the control > and is functionally as well as mechanically different to the one > nearest the peripheral. =A0 > > The 'A' plug is the rectangular one with the contacts all on the > same plane that plugs into either the computer itself or to a hub > that is in turn connected to the computer (possibly through another > hub). =A0This is the 'upstream' connector as connections in that > direction ultimately go in the direction of the computer. =A0The 'B' > plug is squarer, with two rows of contacts. =A0These all point > downstream, away from the computer and towards the peripherals. > Again, this is not merely a mechanical difference - the two sockets > reflect differences in the role each device expects to play in the > USB connection, essentially whether it is acting as the computer > or a peripheral. > > Which connector your device needs depends on what it is doing. =A0If > it is to be plugged into a computer and work as a peripheral it > needs a 'B' socket. =A0If it is to replace a computer and control a > devices, whether it be a printer, flash drive, keyboard or whatever, > it needs an 'A' socket. >
Again, more B. S.! The Type A and B connectors perform the same function, then are just different physically! Maybe your name is really Andrew Smallbrain.....
On Mar 5, 11:58=A0pm, "sycochkn" <sycoc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "Paul" <Quiller...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:8bbd3742-d987-41a8-adf6-8300388859c4@y77g2000hsy.googlegroups.com... > On Mar 5, 8:20?pm, Paul <nos...@needed.com> wrote: > > > > > > > Paul wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > ? ? ? I'd like to modify the following Colibri Toradex Evaluation > > > schematic: > > > >http://www.toradex.com/downloads/Colibri_EvaluationBoard_Schematics_R..=
.
> > > ? ? Paul- Hide quoted text - > > > - Show quoted text - > > =A0 =A0 =A0Well, i don't really want to be a USB designer per se, i just > want to be able to hook this one up correctly. > > =A0 =A0 =A0So again, it looks like if i only want to have one USB port, > it will have to be a "Host" port, right? =A0And this will be using > the flat connectors, right? > > If you want to hook usb devices to it use a host port if you want to use i=
> as a usb device use the other. All of the different types of usb connector=
> are functionally identical. Some are just smaller. > > Bob- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -
Thanks Bob. Also, this microcontroller has the new "On-The-Go" standard, so i believe it can be either a peripheral device, or a host. So maybe we will really be both Host and Peripheral in this case.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference