beginning arm

Started by a_edwards March 14, 2008
hi

i would like to purchase an arm dev. board to learn arm architecture and
assembler and to improve my career prospects.  I have previous 8 bit avr
experience.  It seems that there are many suppliers and variants available
from uk suppliers, atmel,nxp,farnell,etc.

can someone recommend a good general board that has many users and
projects available thru the web and will give me more skills that are in
industry demand. Price up to $300.

thanks
Andrew

On Mar 14, 5:23=A0am, "a_edwards" <eecod...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> hi > > i would like to purchase an arm dev. board to learn arm architecture and > assembler and to improve my career prospects. =A0I have previous 8 bit avr=
> experience. =A0It seems that there are many suppliers and variants availab=
le
> from uk suppliers, atmel,nxp,farnell,etc. > > can someone recommend a good general board that has many users and > projects available thru the web and will give me more skills that are in > industry demand. Price up to $300.
A lot of people seem to use Olimex boards, FWIW.
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 06:26:00 -0700 (PDT), Mike Silva
<snarflemike@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mar 14, 5:23&#4294967295;am, "a_edwards" <eecod...@hotmail.com> wrote: >> hi >> >> i would like to purchase an arm dev. board to learn arm architecture and >> assembler and to improve my career prospects. &#4294967295;I have previous 8 bit avr >> experience. &#4294967295;It seems that there are many suppliers and variants available >> from uk suppliers, atmel,nxp,farnell,etc. >> >> can someone recommend a good general board that has many users and >> projects available thru the web and will give me more skills that are in >> industry demand. Price up to $300. > >A lot of people seem to use Olimex boards, FWIW.
I'm one of them. The Olimex board for the TMS470 was only $91, whereas the IAR KickStart kit was $500. The only problem is the Olimex board is just the board, whereas the KickStart kits come with a J-Link JTAG USB debugger box and a code-size-limited version of the IAR Embedded Workbench. Since I already had the compiler and the J-Link, the Olimex board was all I needed.
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, a_edwards wrote:

> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:23:03 -0500 > From: a_edwards <eecoding@hotmail.com> > Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded > Subject: beginning arm > > hi > > i would like to purchase an arm dev. board to learn arm architecture and > assembler and to improve my career prospects. I have previous 8 bit avr > experience. It seems that there are many suppliers and variants available > from uk suppliers, atmel,nxp,farnell,etc. > > can someone recommend a good general board that has many users and > projects available thru the web and will give me more skills that are in > industry demand. Price up to $300. > > thanks > Andrew
I'm not sure that this will meet your needs, but I just obtained a Nintendo DS, with a 3rd party memory expansion and micro-sd card interface, and put DS-Linux on it. There is also a C based library for native support of practially all the peripherals (libNDS), should you want to code to the bare iron without OS: ARM 9 ARM 7 2 LCD's (1 touch screen) 802.11 2Gb SD card. About $130.00 CDN at WalMart for a brand new NDS, and another 60.00 at electrobee.com for the expansion card(s) ... Just over 1/2 your budget, with a portable form factor. I'd say if you wanted to learn ARM, this is not a bad way to start. Lots of online info for programming as well. HTH, Rob Sciuk ---- Posted via Pronews.com - Premium Corporate Usenet News Provider ---- http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups
On Mar 15, 7:16=A0pm, s...@controlq.com wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, a_edwards wrote: > > Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:23:03 -0500 > > From: a_edwards <eecod...@hotmail.com> > > Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded > > Subject: beginning arm > > > hi > > > i would like to purchase an arm dev. board to learn arm architecture and=
> > assembler and to improve my career prospects. =A0I have previous 8 bit a=
vr
> > experience. =A0It seems that there are many suppliers and variants avail=
able
> > from uk suppliers, atmel,nxp,farnell,etc. > > > can someone recommend a good general board that has many users and > > projects available thru the web and will give me more skills that are in=
> > industry demand. Price up to $300. > > > thanks > > Andrew > > I'm not sure that this will meet your needs, but I just obtained a > Nintendo DS, with a 3rd party memory expansion and micro-sd card > interface, and put DS-Linux on it. =A0There is also a C based library for > native support of practially all the peripherals (libNDS), should you want=
> to code to the bare iron without OS: > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ARM 9 > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ARM 7 > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 2 LCD's (1 touch screen) > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 802.11 > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 2Gb SD card. > > About $130.00 CDN at WalMart for a brand new NDS, and another 60.00 at > electrobee.com for the expansion card(s) ... Just over 1/2 your budget, > with a portable form factor. =A0I'd say if you wanted to learn ARM, this i=
Provider ----http://www.pronews.comoffers corporate packages that have acce= ss to 100,000+ newsgroups- Hide quoted text -
The Embedded Artists Quickstart LPC21xx modules and prototyping board are very good value. You will need a JTAG interface, my DIY one is described in the LPC2000 Yahoo group files section and can be built very cheaply. The LPC2000 group is very good, I run it. 8-) Leon