Cost of a microcontroller - is it very important?

Started by henza March 31, 2008
A newbie here.
After reading a small portion of the discussion, this question comes up in
my head, is the cost of microcontroller a very important issue in terms of
picking the right one? How much a microcontroller CAN contribute to a
whole product?

Or is it the functionality, speed, power consumption and development
toolchain userfriendly-ness more important in the decision?

I am thinking about using Cortex M3 for my server cabinet temp controller
project, is it a bad choice in any context?

Many thanks in advance

Henry

"henza" <hychan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>A newbie here. > After reading a small portion of the discussion, this question comes up in > my head, is the cost of microcontroller a very important issue in terms of > picking the right one? How much a microcontroller CAN contribute to a > whole product? > > Or is it the functionality, speed, power consumption and development > toolchain userfriendly-ness more important in the decision? > > I am thinking about using Cortex M3 for my server cabinet temp controller > project, is it a bad choice in any context? > > Many thanks in advance > > Henry > >
Like all things it depends on the end application. I've worked in an Automotive environment and where we were developing a high volme product of maybe 500k units/year for a relatively mature application then a $3 micro. is very sgnificant for a total product selling price of maybe $40. On the other hand I've also worked on a product with a volume of only 1000/yr and product selling price of around $1k so then the $10-$15 micro. isn't so significant. In this case it was a very new technology where factors such as reliability and safety were far more important than cost. I believe military and medical applicaions tend to be even less cost sensitive for the individual components.

henza wrote:

>A newbie here. >After reading a small portion of the discussion, this question comes up i >my head, is the cost of microcontroller a very important issue in terms o >picking the right one? How much a microcontroller CAN contribute to >whole product? > >Or is it the functionality, speed, power consumption and developmen >toolchain userfriendly-ness more important in the decision? > >I am thinking about using Cortex M3 for my server cabinet temp controlle >project, is it a bad choice in any context? > >Many thanks in advance
For a server cabinet temp controller project, price doesn't matter. Choose according to which one will teach you the most. For the kind of things I do (quantities as high as 100,000 units per hour) price is everything. Do the math. -- misc.business.product-dev: a Usenet newsgroup about the Business of Product Development. -- Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/>
henza wrote:
> A newbie here. > After reading a small portion of the discussion, this question comes up in > my head, is the cost of microcontroller a very important issue in terms of > picking the right one? How much a microcontroller CAN contribute to a > whole product? > > Or is it the functionality, speed, power consumption and development > toolchain userfriendly-ness more important in the decision? > > I am thinking about using Cortex M3 for my server cabinet temp controller > project, is it a bad choice in any context? > > Many thanks in advance > > Henry > >
Like Guy said: Do the math. If you're building 100 of something, _ever_, and you can save $10000 worth of engineering time by spending $20 more per processor, you've just saved $10000 - $2000 = $18000, and you're a hero. If you're building 100K parts/year, then spending $10000 worth of engineering time to save one thin dime per finished part is a break-even. If you can save a quarter per finished part -- you're a hero. Now go back to that first case, and ask yourself if spending $10000 of engineering time to save $250 over the life of the product is a good thing or a bad thing... You should _always_ consider how many parts are going to be made, and how much of a hurry you are in to get working devices on the market. You'll _always_ be faced with having to spend money to save money -- it's just a question of whether the smart money gets spent on a (relatively) huge processor larded with resources to ease the development burden, or whether the smart money gets spent on development to use the thinnest processor possible. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Do you need to implement control loops in software? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says. See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/> writes:
> henza wrote: > > >A newbie here. > >After reading a small portion of the discussion, this question comes up i > >my head, is the cost of microcontroller a very important issue in terms o > >picking the right one? How much a microcontroller CAN contribute to > >whole product? > > > >Or is it the functionality, speed, power consumption and developmen > >toolchain userfriendly-ness more important in the decision? > > > >I am thinking about using Cortex M3 for my server cabinet temp controlle > >project, is it a bad choice in any context? > > > >Many thanks in advance > > For a server cabinet temp controller project, price doesn't > matter. Choose according to which one will teach you the most. > > For the kind of things I do (quantities as high as 100,000 > units per hour) price is everything. Do the math.
I just did and find them impressive, especially if the manufacturing is 24/7 forever. It must be a challenge to find components in that quantity (0.9 Gparts/year). I didn't think IC manufacturers could turn out parts at that rate. If they can, I'd think you'd need to be mouth-of-the-factory to keep delivery logistics in hand.
>Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/> writes: >> henza wrote: >> >> >A newbie here. >> >After reading a small portion of the discussion, this question comes
up i
>> >my head, is the cost of microcontroller a very important issue in
terms o
>> >picking the right one? How much a microcontroller CAN contribute to >> >whole product? >> > >> >Or is it the functionality, speed, power consumption and developmen >> >toolchain userfriendly-ness more important in the decision? >> > >> >I am thinking about using Cortex M3 for my server cabinet temp
controlle
>> >project, is it a bad choice in any context? >> > >> >Many thanks in advance >> >> For a server cabinet temp controller project, price doesn't >> matter. Choose according to which one will teach you the most. >> >> For the kind of things I do (quantities as high as 100,000 >> units per hour) price is everything. Do the math. > >I just did and find them impressive, especially if the >manufacturing is 24/7 forever. It must be a challenge >to find components in that quantity (0.9 Gparts/year). > >I didn't think IC manufacturers could turn out parts at >that rate. If they can, I'd think you'd need to be >mouth-of-the-factory to keep delivery logistics in hand. >
Thanks guys for the info. Appreciate it!