Development of a cheap wireless sensor node

Started by arslan April 16, 2008
I want to develop a cheap wireless sensor node with short range (500ft).
I am a novice in the field of wireless, therfore i dont want to work on
designing an antenna.
I am looking for small and cheap full/half duplex modules with low
datarate to attach to my digital circuit.
Are any such modules available

arslan wrote:
> I want to develop a cheap wireless sensor node with short range (500ft). > I am a novice in the field of wireless, therfore i dont want to work on > designing an antenna. > I am looking for small and cheap full/half duplex modules with low > datarate to attach to my digital circuit. > Are any such modules available
Google for radio modem. Anahata
On Apr 16, 7:50=A0am, "arslan" <arsl_kha...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I want to develop a cheap wireless sensor node with short range (500ft).
What is "cheap"? It will be difficult to reach anything approaching "mass production cheap" if you are buying a preconstructed module. Note that there are plenty of off-the-shelf chip antennas; designing the antenna really isn't the hard part, building and tuning the rest of the circuit (and getting type approval) is the hard part. What country are you in? The available frequencies/modules are different in different locales. Probably the simplest choice is something in the 2.4GHz ISM band. A product like this is in your general ballpark <http:// www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=3D151> and should give you an idea of the price to expect.
>On Apr 16, 7:50=A0am, "arslan" <arsl_kha...@yahoo.com> wrote: >> I want to develop a cheap wireless sensor node with short range
(500ft).
> >What is "cheap"? It will be difficult to reach anything approaching >"mass production cheap" if you are buying a preconstructed module. >Note that there are plenty of off-the-shelf chip antennas; designing >the antenna really isn't the hard part, building and tuning the rest >of the circuit (and getting type approval) is the hard part. > >What country are you in? The available frequencies/modules are >different in different locales. Probably the simplest choice is >something in the 2.4GHz ISM band. > >A product like this is in your general ballpark <http:// >www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=3D151> and should >give you an idea of the price to expect. > >
The replies were very helpful The problem is that the modules that i have seen are very costly (ie 12~15$) Now does anybody know about any complete RF links available in 5$ range. There should be something i could find from manufacturers in china or Taiwan
arslan wrote:
>> On Apr 16, 7:50=A0am, "arslan" <arsl_kha...@yahoo.com> wrote: >>> I want to develop a cheap wireless sensor node with short range > (500ft). >> What is "cheap"? It will be difficult to reach anything approaching >> "mass production cheap" if you are buying a preconstructed module. >> Note that there are plenty of off-the-shelf chip antennas; designing >> the antenna really isn't the hard part, building and tuning the rest >> of the circuit (and getting type approval) is the hard part. >> >> What country are you in? The available frequencies/modules are >> different in different locales. Probably the simplest choice is >> something in the 2.4GHz ISM band. >> >> A product like this is in your general ballpark <http:// >> www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=3D151> and should >> give you an idea of the price to expect. >> >> > > The replies were very helpful > The problem is that the modules that i have seen are very costly (ie > 12~15$) Now does anybody know about any complete RF links available in 5$ > range.
Short range for $5 is 10 feet. Unless you don't care for FCC approved devices.
> There should be something i could find from manufacturers in china or > Taiwan
>arslan wrote: >>> On Apr 16, 7:50=A0am, "arslan" <arsl_kha...@yahoo.com> wrote: >>>> I want to develop a cheap wireless sensor node with short range >> (500ft). >>> What is "cheap"? It will be difficult to reach anything approaching >>> "mass production cheap" if you are buying a preconstructed module. >>> Note that there are plenty of off-the-shelf chip antennas; designing >>> the antenna really isn't the hard part, building and tuning the rest >>> of the circuit (and getting type approval) is the hard part. >>> >>> What country are you in? The available frequencies/modules are >>> different in different locales. Probably the simplest choice is >>> something in the 2.4GHz ISM band. >>> >>> A product like this is in your general ballpark <http:// >>> www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=3D151> and
should
>>> give you an idea of the price to expect. >>> >>>
>> range. > >Short range for $5 is 10 feet. > >Unless you don't care for FCC approved devices. > >> There should be something i could find from manufacturers in china or >> Taiwan >
I am not concerned with the fcc approved devices This system is supposed to be a study project
On Apr 19, 4:50=A0pm, "arslan" <arsl_kha...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am not concerned with the fcc approved devices > This system is supposed to be a study project
This doesn't make sense. If it's a study project then the difference between $5 and $15 is negligible. If it's intended for production, then price matters and so does regulatory approval. What's it going to be? I can say pretty confidently you will not be able to make or buy anything in prototype/hobbyist quantities that meets the specification. And the time and money you waste trying to engineer this solution will, at small volumes, dwarf the cost of just buying a known-good solution.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference