How to learn to program parallel flash?

Started by blisca May 16, 2008
Hi,to all

i have built a kind of...thing with the purpose to program a Flash memory
from PC parallel via a CPLD

The Cpld i used is a Xilinx xc95144 and the flash that i got scraped from
surplus(maybe a dvd) is HY29LV160

www.hynix.com/inc/pdfDownload.jsp?path=/upload/products/gl/products/flash/down/HY29LV160.pdf

I did the programming software in visual basic,and it looks that i can read
correctly the Flash,at least i can read ascii strings  and so on

Well,i can't understand this stuff about unlock cycles,unlock bypass and so
on

what is ,for example a "command"?What is that makes it distinguishible from
a data or an address?

In few words,can anybody reccomand me a link explaining in a more newbie
fashion way how to treat with such devices(28F family included)?

Many thanks to you all

Have a nice weekend
Diego
Milan, Italy

listen to my experiment to transpose an old Dire Straits's hit in salsa at
www.myspace.com/blisca

blisca wrote:
> Hi,to all > > i have built a kind of...thing with the purpose to program a Flash memory > from PC parallel via a CPLD > > The Cpld i used is a Xilinx xc95144 and the flash that i got scraped from > surplus(maybe a dvd) is HY29LV160 > > www.hynix.com/inc/pdfDownload.jsp?path=/upload/products/gl/products/flash/down/HY29LV160.pdf > > I did the programming software in visual basic,and it looks that i can read > correctly the Flash,at least i can read ascii strings and so on > > Well,i can't understand this stuff about unlock cycles,unlock bypass and so > on > > what is ,for example a "command"?What is that makes it distinguishible from > a data or an address?
Commands are nothing more than defined writes to the part. Give it the correct sequence of writes with the specified data to the specified addresses and the chip will erase itself for example.
> In few words,can anybody reccomand me a link explaining in a more newbie > fashion way how to treat with such devices(28F family included)?
Don't have anything for you. I've always used the SST parts and their datasheets without much trouble.
"Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> blisca wrote: >> Hi,to all >> >> i have built a kind of...thing with the purpose to program a Flash memory >> from PC parallel via a CPLD >> >> The Cpld i used is a Xilinx xc95144 and the flash that i got scraped from >> surplus(maybe a dvd) is HY29LV160 >> >> www.hynix.com/inc/pdfDownload.jsp?path=/upload/products/gl/products/flash/down/HY29LV160.pdf >> >> I did the programming software in visual basic,and it looks that i can >> read correctly the Flash,at least i can read ascii strings and so on >> >> Well,i can't understand this stuff about unlock cycles,unlock bypass and >> so on >> >> what is ,for example a "command"?What is that makes it distinguishible >> from a data or an address? > > Commands are nothing more than defined writes to the > part. Give it the correct sequence of writes with > the specified data to the specified addresses and the > chip will erase itself for example. > >> In few words,can anybody reccomand me a link explaining in a more newbie >> fashion way how to treat with such devices(28F family included)? > > Don't have anything for you. I've always used the > SST parts and their datasheets without much trouble. > >> Many thanks to you all >>
Thank you for reply so quickly Jim!