SocketModem query (2)

Started by Roger August 13, 2004
On 2004-08-13, Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> wrote:

>> I've managed to connect to my SocketModem from the modem in my PC. Both are >> V90s but I can't get a connection rate greater than 33.6K. When I'm on the >> Net on the PC, the connection speed is either 50.6K or 52.0K so the hardware >> is definitely capable. Is there some extra set-up that should be done on the >> embedded modem to allow it to attempt to connect at >33.6K rates? > > 1) The max _Analog_ connection rate is 33K
Correct. To connect at baud rates higher than that, you have to be connecting to a purely digital modem: one with a digital trunk line interface like the modem server racks that ISPs have.
> So ... you may be running as fast as you can ... (but I could be wrong)
You're right. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'd like some JUNK at FOOD... and then I want to visi.com be ALONE --
Thanks everyone for helping me out with my previous question. Unfortunately,
here's another one.

I've managed to connect to my SocketModem from the modem in my PC. Both are
V90s but I can't get a connection rate greater than 33.6K. When I'm on the
Net on the PC, the connection speed is either 50.6K or 52.0K so the hardware
is definitely capable. Is there some extra set-up that should be done on the
embedded modem to allow it to attempt to connect at >33.6K rates?

TIA.

Roger.

"Roger" <enquiries@rwconcepts.co.uk> wrote in message news:<s8cTc.1922$o_1.859@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net>...
> Thanks everyone for helping me out with my previous question. Unfortunately, > here's another one. > > I've managed to connect to my SocketModem from the modem in my PC. Both are > V90s but I can't get a connection rate greater than 33.6K. When I'm on the > Net on the PC, the connection speed is either 50.6K or 52.0K so the hardware > is definitely capable. Is there some extra set-up that should be done on the > embedded modem to allow it to attempt to connect at >33.6K rates?
Tim is correct. Unless you have a digital connection, and a "modem" capable of driving that end of a v90 connection, you cannot go faster. There are some ISDN solutions available (or at least used to be), and of course any access routers intended for ISP usage are set up for that (and they usually just run a T1 into a board with 24 "modems" on it). But two modems on an analog link are limited to about 33.6. v90 is really cheating - it runs faster than you can actually transmit data on a analog circuit with the nominal telco voice grade characteristics. What the downstream side does is take advantage of the fact that the telco system is *not* really analog, and what the ISPs "modem" does is, instead of sending an analog signal, pretty much directly controls the D/A converter that's at the CO near the user's modem. The users modem is thus looking at an 8 bit, 8KHz D/A from the other end of a wire, with nothing else between. And once the characteristics of that wire are established, it's not too hard to dig (nearly) 64kbps out of the downstream channel.
"Roger" <enquiries@rwconcepts.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thanks everyone for helping me out with my previous question.
Unfortunately,
> here's another one. > > I've managed to connect to my SocketModem from the modem in my PC. Both
are
> V90s but I can't get a connection rate greater than 33.6K. When I'm on the > Net on the PC, the connection speed is either 50.6K or 52.0K so the
hardware
> is definitely capable. Is there some extra set-up that should be done on
the
> embedded modem to allow it to attempt to connect at >33.6K rates? > > TIA. > > Roger. > >
Thanks everyone. I've certainly learnt a lot about this little query. Rog.