Recommendations for a Quadrature Decoder IC or MicroController

Started by benn July 30, 2008
On 30 Lug, 08:18, benn <benn...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> SO.. I'm looking for either a quadrature decoder IC that can take the > load off (will calculate position/velocity and interface to a host > micro via serial/parallel bus), OR, a beefy microcontroller with built- > in decoders (and pwm output). =A032-bit with lots of GPIO is ideal if > going the microcontroller route.
Hi, You could give a look at the HCTL2016 datasheet and then choose between using the part or implementing it in a PLD (as I did).
On Jul 30, 7:18=EF=BF=BDam, benn <benn...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have an atmega16 that interfaces to a motor with a quadrature > encoder sensor. =EF=BF=BD Turns out the frequency of the pulses are much =
more
> than my little 4Mhz can handle (the micro does other things as well!) > As a result, the motor control isn't very accurate, nor does it react > very fast. > > SO.. I'm looking for either a quadrature decoder IC that can take the > load off (will calculate position/velocity and interface to a host > micro via serial/parallel bus), OR, a beefy microcontroller with built- > in decoders (and pwm output). =EF=BF=BD32-bit with lots of GPIO is ideal =
if
> going the microcontroller route.
A seperate chip is a bad idea as their are so many micros with 2 phase counters built in. There are even several design kits (board and software) for peanuts around.

Why not try an XMEGA which has the Quadrature Encoder built in. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> "benn" <benn686@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet > news:33157349-c306-4837-a17c-23a8d245bfa3@u12g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > >>I have an atmega16 that interfaces to a motor with a quadrature >>encoder sensor. Turns out the frequency of the pulses are much more >>than my little 4Mhz can handle (the micro does other things as well!) >>As a result, the motor control isn't very accurate, nor does it react >>very fast. >> >>SO.. I'm looking for either a quadrature decoder IC that can take the >>load off (will calculate position/velocity and interface to a host >>micro via serial/parallel bus), OR, a beefy microcontroller with built- >>in decoders (and pwm output). 32-bit with lots of GPIO is ideal if >>going the microcontroller route. >> > > > Why not try an XMEGA which has the Quadrature Encoder built in.
Well done Ulf, I said the same thing 8 days ago ;) An app note is here http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc8109.pdf Any news on the sampling status of the xmega - can the OP actually get any ? [Shame they are not 5V parts (nor even 5V tolerant) - hard to drive Power MOSFETS from a 3v uC ] They get a tick for the peripherals tho.... -jg

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference