Affordable PCB Layout Software ???

Started by Blackwater July 30, 2008
> For all that you guys *did* blockquote in this bit of salesmanship, > you managed to snip out the _name_ of the app > for those who would stumble upon this post: Sprint-Layout.
Just tried the demo. Managed to create a layout without reading the manual. The icons and mouse clicks work the way you think they should... well they did for me. I'll continue trying it.
On Aug 4, 12:19 pm, JeffM <jef...@email.com> wrote:
> > >john@ jjdesigns.fsnet.co.uk wrote: > >>Found it thanks!. Has all the bits I was looking for. > >>My specific needs tend to revolve around knocking up (sodding!) > >>surface mount chip adapters, with maybe one or two extra components > >>added for convenience. > > James Arthur wrote: > >You'll like the Footprint Wizard then. Specify or design a pad, > >enter horizontal and vertical spacings, number of rows and cols, > >hit 'go', and the program generates the pattern, with perfect spacing. > > >Select the lot with the mouse, store it as a macro, > >and you've got a new footprint. > > >Great for BGAs, SMD ICs, connectors, etc. > > >>For the sake of an hours work with the PC, printer > >>and some etchant I can have a prototype in hand. > > >Yep. For that use and this price it's hard to go wrong. > > For all that you guys *did* blockquote in this bit of salesmanship, > you managed to snip out the _name_ of the app > for those who would stumble upon this post: Sprint-Layout.
When using copper pour, does this program tell you if any sections of the copper are not connected to the others? Does it do a proper job of keeping track of pin connectivity when pins are connected to the copper pour (same thing really)? I used FreePCB and it did not do this. You could have traces cut up a copper plane and it would not warn you that they were disconnected. It would also not warn you if this resulted in pins being unconnected from the rest of the net. Once you connect a pin to the copper plane, it considers it connected to the entire net. I don't recall FreePCB having any other issues that concerned me. It also has a pretty nice user interface and did not require a lot of learning except for how to do a few things like connect pins to copper pours. But it has a very helpful bunch of users and an active support forum. The support is actually ***MUCH*** better than any commercial product I have ever used! Rick

Find it here: http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html sPlan: schematic editor Sprint-Layout: PWB Layout LochMaster: tool for strip board projects FrontDesigner: front panel CAD DMM-ProfiLab / Digital-ProfiLab / ProfiLab-Expert / AudioWave" a seroes of products somewhat like labview Each costs 39.9 Euros (roughly 61.6 US Dollars). -- Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/>
"Guy Macon" <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote in message
> > Alt Beer wrote: > >>Just tried the demo. Managed to create a layout without reading the >>manual. >>The icons and mouse clicks work the way you think they should... well >>they >>did for me. I'll continue trying it. > > Find it here: > http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html > > sPlan: schematic editor > > Sprint-Layout: PWB Layout > > LochMaster: tool for strip board projects > > FrontDesigner: front panel CAD > > DMM-ProfiLab / Digital-ProfiLab / ProfiLab-Expert > / AudioWave" a seroes of products somewhat like labview > > Each costs 39.9 Euros (roughly 61.6 US Dollars). > -- > Guy Macon > <http://www.GuyMacon.com/>
The people at Eagle should try it out and learn something from the experience.... icons and mouse clicks working the way you think they should
On Aug 7, 5:58=A0am, "Alt Beer" <exam...@example.com> wrote:
> "Guy Macon" <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote in message > > news:HOCdnTwj94H2xAfV4p2dnAA@giganews.com... > > > > > > > Alt Beer wrote: > > >>Just tried the demo. =A0Managed to create a layout without reading the > >>manual. > >>The icons and mouse clicks work the way you think they should... =A0wel=
> >>they > >>did for me. =A0I'll continue trying it. > > > Find it here: > >http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html > > > sPlan: schematic editor > > > Sprint-Layout: PWB Layout > > > LochMaster: tool for strip board projects > > > FrontDesigner: front panel CAD > > > DMM-ProfiLab / Digital-ProfiLab / ProfiLab-Expert > > / AudioWave" a seroes of products somewhat like labview > > > Each costs 39.9 Euros (roughly 61.6 US Dollars). > > -- > > Guy Macon > > <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> > > The people at Eagle should try it out and learn something from the > experience.... icons and mouse clicks working the way you think they shou=
ld Actually, the latest version of Eagle (5.x) goes a long way towards being more standard-behaviour compliant (right click context menu, ctrl-z for undo, etc.)
"Alt Beer" <example@example.com> wrote in message
> The people at Eagle should try it out and learn something from the > experience.... icons and mouse clicks working the way you think they should
I fully expect that the folks at Eagle know how most people think icons and mouse clicks should work and are simply convinced that there way is better. :-) I used ProBoard/ProNet way-back-when on an Amiga computer and it was the same way -- made little attempt to use the standard Amiga OS conventions of "mousing around," instead substituting what they thought was "better."
Guy Macon wrote:
> Alt Beer wrote: > > >>Just tried the demo. Managed to create a layout without reading the manual. >>The icons and mouse clicks work the way you think they should... well they >>did for me. I'll continue trying it. > > > Find it here: > http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html > > sPlan: schematic editor > > Sprint-Layout: PWB Layout > > LochMaster: tool for strip board projects > > FrontDesigner: front panel CAD > > DMM-ProfiLab / Digital-ProfiLab / ProfiLab-Expert > / AudioWave" a seroes of products somewhat like labview > > Each costs 39.9 Euros (roughly 61.6 US Dollars). >
May i presume that Sprint-Layout allows one to make all of the requisite Gerbers?

Robert Baer wrote:
> >Guy Macon wrote: > >> Alt Beer wrote: >> >>>Just tried the demo. Managed to create a layout without reading the manual. >>>The icons and mouse clicks work the way you think they should... well they >>>did for me. I'll continue trying it. >> >> Find it here: >> http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html >> >> sPlan: schematic editor >> >> Sprint-Layout: PWB Layout >> >> LochMaster: tool for strip board projects >> >> FrontDesigner: front panel CAD >> >> DMM-ProfiLab / Digital-ProfiLab / ProfiLab-Expert >> / AudioWave" a seroes of products somewhat like labview >> >> Each costs 39.9 Euros (roughly 61.6 US Dollars). >> >May i presume that Sprint-Layout allows one to make all of the >requisite Gerbers?
Yup. Gerber for the traces, Excellon for the drilling, and HPGL with tool path calculation if you prefer isolation milling. They also have a .lay file format with some vague talk of extra dimensioning info. -- Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/>
>>> Alt Beer wrote: >>> >>>>Just tried the demo. Managed to create a layout without reading the >>>>manual. >>>>The icons and mouse clicks work the way you think they should... well >>>>they >>>>did for me. I'll continue trying it. >>> >>> Find it here: >>May i presume that Sprint-Layout allows one to make all of the >>requisite Gerbers? > > Yup. Gerber for the traces, Excellon for the drilling, and HPGL > with tool path calculation if you prefer isolation milling. > They also have a .lay file format with some vague talk of extra > dimensioning info. > -- > Guy Macon > <http://www.GuyMacon.com/>
Re Sprint-Layout I am trying to make a standard 16 pin dil footprint with rectangular pads with through hole. There doesn't seem to be a way to specify a drill hole for other than a round pad? Rectangular pads are assumed to be smt. Am I doing something wrong?
Alt Beer wrote:
> [...]
I can edit any pad, and make it any size/shape I want, with any drill size. Sprint-Layout comes with a bunch of DIP patterns pre-defined, so I'm not sure exactly why you need a custom one, but here's one way to do it: 1) Open the Macro toolbar by clicking on the icon, then 2) choose a DIP pattern from the list. The pattern will appear in the bottom of the window. 3) Drag and drop the pattern onto your board. 4) Unlock the pattern by clicking on the Unlock icon. This breaks the DIP pattern into individual pads. Now you can edit each pad however you want. If the Properties sidebar isn't visible, right-click a pad to turn it on. There you can adjust the pad shape, dimensions, and drill size. If you want to save the edit as a new pattern, select the whole, lock it all together with the "Lock" icon, then copy at will, or save as a new macro. HTH, James Arthur

Memfault Beyond the Launch