Forums

Starting with mcb2300 (lpc2378)

Started by karelvergauwe September 27, 2007
Hello,

I have bought a mcb2300 v3.1 board from Keil. I have tested some
example programs wich I loaded with uVision3 and my ULINK2.

I would like to have a RTOS on it for my project. I saw freeRTOS and
think this is the best. Others I have seen are: eCos, RedBoot,
tnkernel. Can I edit the code for freeRTOS with any development tool.

How can I start with it on a fast way. Wich is the easiest tool for
programming and debugging (on Windows XP). I found the Keil software
very good and easy to use, but I think my project is going to exceed
the 16kB. Wich other easy to use tools are there which I can use with
ULINK2 (or can I get around the 16kB limitation of Keil). I saw
Yagarto with OpenOCD but don't know if my linker will work with this.

I know these are a lot of questions but I have looked for some stuff
for a couple of days now. And I just want to be sure before I begin,
so I don't have to switch after a couple of weeks.

Thanks a lot

karel

An Engineer's Guide to the LPC2100 Series

> Hello,
>
> I have bought a mcb2300 v3.1 board from Keil. I have tested some
> example programs wich I loaded with uVision3 and my ULINK2.
>
> I would like to have a RTOS on it for my project. I saw freeRTOS and
> think this is the best. Others I have seen are: eCos, RedBoot,
> tnkernel. Can I edit the code for freeRTOS with any development tool.

Yes - you can download all the source files.

> How can I start with it on a fast way. Wich is the easiest tool for
> programming and debugging (on Windows XP).
The FreeRTOS.org download includes pre-configured projects for the LPC2368
both CrossWorks and Eclipse. Converting to LPC2378 is probably a quick task
(I would think).

http://www.freertos.org/portlpc2368_Eclipse.html
http://www.freertos.org/portlpc2368uIP.html
IMPORTANT NOTE: The demos as are seem to work on some LPC2368 devices, and
not others. I have been told today that the MAM mode has to be set to 0 to
get it reliably working on all hardware.
>I found the Keil software
> very good and easy to use, but I think my project is going to exceed
> the 16kB.

Note that a special feature of the Keil eval version is that the 16K limit
covers both the ROM and RAM *combined* image size. This means it is very
limited in its use.
>Wich other easy to use tools are there which I can use with
> ULINK2 (or can I get around the 16kB limitation of Keil).

I think Keil is the only option for ULINK2.
>I saw
> Yagarto with OpenOCD but don't know if my linker will work with this.
Yagarto has its own linker.
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
13 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by T as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.