Forums

problem building arm-elf-insight-6.8 when I run "make all install"

Started by oladipo_oni December 15, 2008
All,

I have been trying to build insight-6.8 most of today and keep getting
various problem.
Below is the latest issue that I am experiencing

make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build/sim'
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build/gdb'
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. -I../../insight-6.8/gdb
-I../../insight-6.8/gdb/config
-DLOCALEDIR="\"/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/tools/share/locale\""
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../include/opcode
-I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../readline/.. -I../bfd
-I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../bfd -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../include
-I../libdecnumber -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../libdecnumber -DMI_OUT=1
-DGDBTK -DTUI=1 -Wall -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wpointer-arith
-Wformat-nonliteral -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused -Wno-switch
-Wno-char-subscripts -Werror ../../insight-6.8/gdb/cli/cli-cmds.c
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
../../insight-6.8/gdb/cli/cli-cmds.c: In function `pwd_command':
../../insight-6.8/gdb/cli/cli-cmds.c:323: error: ignoring return value
of `getcwd', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
make[2]: *** [cli-cmds.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build/gdb'
make[1]: *** [all-gdb] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build'
make: *** [all] Error 2
ooni@tc1100:~/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build$

Regards
Ola

An Engineer's Guide to the LPC2100 Series

--- In l..., "oladipo_oni" wrote:
>
> All,
>
> I have been trying to build insight-6.8 most of today and keep getting
> various problem.
> Below is the latest issue that I am experiencing
>
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build/sim'
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build/gdb'
> gcc -c -g -O2 -I. -I../../insight-6.8/gdb
> -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/config
> -DLOCALEDIR="\"/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/tools/share/locale\""
> -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../include/opcode
> -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../readline/.. -I../bfd
> -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../bfd -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../include
> -I../libdecnumber -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../libdecnumber -DMI_OUT=1
> -DGDBTK -DTUI=1 -Wall -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wpointer-arith
> -Wformat-nonliteral -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused -Wno-switch
> -Wno-char-subscripts -Werror ../../insight-6.8/gdb/cli/cli-cmds.c
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> ../../insight-6.8/gdb/cli/cli-cmds.c: In function `pwd_command':
> ../../insight-6.8/gdb/cli/cli-cmds.c:323: error: ignoring return value
> of `getcwd', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
> make[2]: *** [cli-cmds.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build/gdb'
> make[1]: *** [all-gdb] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> ooni@tc1100:~/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build$
>
> Regards
> Ola
>

You might try adding --disable-werror to the command line. This will
prevent warnings being treated as errors.

See message 4288 on the GNUARM group
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/gnuarm/message/4288

I had to do this for binutils and insight when I built them last week.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I added --disable-werror to the configure command as advised but now I
get a different error. Shown below is the new error:-

#####################################################
../../insight-6.8/gdb/gdb_expat.h:23:19: error: expat.h: No such file
or directory
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:66: error: expected
specifier-qualifier-list before `XML_Parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:86: warning: type defaults to
`int' in declaration of `XML_Char'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:86: error: expected `;', `,' or
`)' before `*' token
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: In function `gdb_xml_debug':
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:108: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_GetCurrentLineNumber'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:108: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:119: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `name'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:122: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `name'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: In function `gdb_xml_error':
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:132: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:135: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `last_line'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: At top level:
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:159: warning: type defaults to
`int' in declaration of `XML_Char'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:159: error: expected `;', `,' or
`)' before `*' token
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:298: warning: type defaults to
`int' in declaration of `XML_Char'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:298: error: expected `;', `,' or
`)' before `*' token
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:324: warning: type defaults to
`int' in declaration of `XML_Char'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:324: error: expected `;', `,' or
`)' before `*' token
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:382: warning: type defaults to
`int' in declaration of `XML_Char'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:382: error: expected `;', `,' or
`)' before `*' token
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: In function `gdb_xml_cleanup':
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:412: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_ParserFree'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:412: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:415: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `scopes'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:421: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `scopes'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: In function
`gdb_xml_create_parser_and_cleanup':
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:439: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:439: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_ParserCreateNS'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:440: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:446: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `name'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:448: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `user_data'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:449: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_SetUserData'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:449: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:452: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_SetElementHandler'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:452: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:452: error:
`gdb_xml_start_element_wrapper' undeclared (first use in this function)
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:452: error: (Each undeclared
identifier is reported only once
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:452: error: for each function it
appears in.)
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:453: error:
`gdb_xml_end_element_wrapper' undeclared (first use in this function)
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:454: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_SetCharacterDataHandler'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:454: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:454: error: `gdb_xml_body_text'
undeclared (first use in this function)
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:459: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `scopes'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: At top level:
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:471: error: expected `)' before
`expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: In function `gdb_xml_use_dtd':
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:518: error: storage size of `err'
isn't known
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:520: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `dtd_name'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:522: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_SetParamEntityParsing'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:522: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:523: error:
`XML_PARAM_ENTITY_PARSING_UNLESS_STANDALONE' undeclared (first use in
this function)
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:524: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_SetExternalEntityRefHandler'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:524: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:525: error:
`gdb_xml_fetch_external_entity' undeclared (first use in this function)
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:528: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_UseForeignDTD'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:528: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:528: error: `XML_TRUE' undeclared
(first use in this function)
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:529: error: `XML_ERROR_NONE'
undeclared (first use in this function)
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:531: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_ErrorString'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:531: warning: format `%s' expects
type `char *', but argument 4 has type `int'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: In function `gdb_xml_parse':
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:544: error: storage size of
`status' isn't known
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:549: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_Parse'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:549: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:551: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `error'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:554: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `error'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:555: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `error'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:557: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `error'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:558: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `error'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:562: error: variable `err' has
initializer but incomplete type
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:562: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_GetErrorCode'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:562: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:562: error: storage size of `err'
isn't known
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:563: warning: assignment makes
pointer from integer without a cast
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:567: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `error'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:568: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `error'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:571: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `last_line'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:572: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `name'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:573: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `last_line'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:575: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `name'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: In function `xinclude_start_include':
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:736: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `name'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: At top level:
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:761: warning: type defaults to
`int' in declaration of `XML_Char'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:761: error: expected `;', `,' or
`)' before `*' token
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:777: warning: type defaults to
`int' in declaration of `XML_Char'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:777: error: expected `;', `,' or
`)' before `*' token
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: In function
`xml_xinclude_end_doctype':
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:793: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `user_data'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: At top level:
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:799: warning: type defaults to
`int' in declaration of `XML_Char'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:799: error: expected `;', `,' or
`)' before `*' token
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c: In function `xml_process_xincludes':
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:835: error: storage size of `err'
isn't known
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:846: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `is_xinclude'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:852: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:853: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_SetDefaultHandler'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:853: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:853: error: `xml_xinclude_default'
undeclared (first use in this function)
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:858: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_SetXmlDeclHandler'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:858: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:858: error:
`xml_xinclude_xml_decl' undeclared (first use in this function)
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:862: warning: implicit declaration
of function `XML_SetDoctypeDeclHandler'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:862: error: `struct
gdb_xml_parser' has no member named `expat_parser'
../../insight-6.8/gdb/xml-support.c:863: error:
`xml_xinclude_start_doctype' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [xml-support.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build/gdb'
make[1]: *** [all-gdb] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

#####################################################

I build my toolchain successfully about a month ago.
binutils-2.19, gcc-4.3.2 and newlib-1.16.0. I also built insight about
the same time and it was okay.

The only difference now is that I updated from ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 so
I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue.

I might have to try and rebuilt my toolchain under ubuntu 8.10.

Thanks for your response.

Regards
Ola
--- In l..., "rtstofer" wrote:
>
> --- In l..., "oladipo_oni" wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > I have been trying to build insight-6.8 most of today and keep getting
> > various problem.
> > Below is the latest issue that I am experiencing
> >
> > make[2]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build/sim'
> > make[2]: Entering directory
> > `/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build/gdb'
> > gcc -c -g -O2 -I. -I../../insight-6.8/gdb
> > -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/config
> > -DLOCALEDIR="\"/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/tools/share/locale\""
> > -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../include/opcode
> > -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../readline/.. -I../bfd
> > -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../bfd -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../include
> > -I../libdecnumber -I../../insight-6.8/gdb/../libdecnumber -DMI_OUT=1
> > -DGDBTK -DTUI=1 -Wall -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wpointer-arith
> > -Wformat-nonliteral -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused -Wno-switch
> > -Wno-char-subscripts -Werror ../../insight-6.8/gdb/cli/cli-cmds.c
> > cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> > ../../insight-6.8/gdb/cli/cli-cmds.c: In function `pwd_command':
> > ../../insight-6.8/gdb/cli/cli-cmds.c:323: error: ignoring return value
> > of `getcwd', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
> > make[2]: *** [cli-cmds.o] Error 1
> > make[2]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build/gdb'
> > make[1]: *** [all-gdb] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/ooni/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build'
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> > ooni@tc1100:~/platforms/ARM/debug/insight-build$
> >
> > Regards
> > Ola
> > You might try adding --disable-werror to the command line. This will
> prevent warnings being treated as errors.
>
> See message 4288 on the GNUARM group
> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/gnuarm/message/4288
>
> I had to do this for binutils and insight when I built them last week.
>
> Richard
>

--- In l..., "oladipo_oni" wrote:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> I added --disable-werror to the configure command as advised but now I
> get a different error. Shown below is the new error:-
>
> #####################################################
> ../../insight-6.8/gdb/gdb_expat.h:23:19: error: expat.h: No such file
> or directory
>

Nothing else matters once you see the actual error! One way or
another, you need to deal with expat.h My Ubunto 8.10 system has
libexpat1 installed. But it doesn't have expat.h. So, I'm not sure
that installing libexpat1 will be sufficient.

There may be something else wrong that is supposed to skip over
gdb_expat.h and thus the #include of expat.h.

I found the reference to libexpat1 via Google search for expat.h

Richard

Hi,

> --- In l..., "oladipo_oni" wrote:
> >
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > I added --disable-werror to the configure command as advised but now I
> > get a different error. Shown below is the new error:-
> >
> > #####################################################
> > ../../insight-6.8/gdb/gdb_expat.h:23:19: error: expat.h: No such file
> > or directory
> > Nothing else matters once you see the actual error! One way or
> another, you need to deal with expat.h My Ubunto 8.10 system has
> libexpat1 installed. But it doesn't have expat.h. So, I'm not sure
> that installing libexpat1 will be sufficient.

Can't find expat.h? What do you expect? He's probably in a Spanish bar
sobbing into his tequila about the state of his pension now credit has
crunched.

--
Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd http://www.rowley.co.uk
CrossWorks for ARM, MSP430, AVR, MAXQ, and now Cortex-M3 processors
Hi All

Problem solved.
The problem I believe was the change from ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10.
After a lot of searching online and messing around. I decided to
re-install my whole tool chain, this opened another set of issues. But
also highlighted the fact that I was indeed missing most of the
mandatory dependency packages
to build.
See:- http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=installing_linux,
http://forum.mcuprogramming.com/arm/gnu-arm-toolchain-installer/0/

After installing the dependencies binutils-2.19, gcc-4.3.2 (see
caveat), newlib-1.16.0, and insight-6.8 built successfully without any
errors.

Caveat:

When "make all install" command was invoked on gcc-4.3.2 It failed
about half way through the build process with the following message
"libc_name_p not found in except.c".
By googling I gathered that this object is a function defined in a
header file located in "../gcc-4.3.2/gcc/cp/cfns.h".
A quick inspection (ls) of my systems shows that the file exists.
However the failure persisted so I decided to open the file to
investigate a bit further, but to my greatest surprise the file
was empty.
So I re-download the gcc-4.3.2 from www.gnuarm.com and it built first
time.

The summary of this story is there is a possibility that the source
can be corrupted. I found out the hard way spend hours. Not suspecting
a corrupted source.

Regards
Ola
--- In l..., "Paul Curtis" wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > --- In l..., "oladipo_oni" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Richard,
> > >
> > > I added --disable-werror to the configure command as advised but
now I
> > > get a different error. Shown below is the new error:-
> > >
> > > #####################################################
> > > ../../insight-6.8/gdb/gdb_expat.h:23:19: error: expat.h: No such
file
> > > or directory
> > >
> >
> > Nothing else matters once you see the actual error! One way or
> > another, you need to deal with expat.h My Ubunto 8.10 system has
> > libexpat1 installed. But it doesn't have expat.h. So, I'm not sure
> > that installing libexpat1 will be sufficient.
>
> Can't find expat.h? What do you expect? He's probably in a Spanish bar
> sobbing into his tequila about the state of his pension now credit has
> crunched.
>
> --
> Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd http://www.rowley.co.uk
> CrossWorks for ARM, MSP430, AVR, MAXQ, and now Cortex-M3 processors
>