Forums

Philips LPC flash utility problems

Started by Paul Maddox Mail LIsts November 2, 2004
Dear all,

Having finally got IAR to compile stuff (thanks Ivan for the help), my
only problem now is that the Philips LPC Flash utility keeps crashing my PC,
sometimes its fine, and I can read the Processor ID, and flash it. If I do
this a second time, 9 times out of ten the PC reboots.
A lot of the time the LPC flash utility says it can't find the board, do
this a few times in a row and then blam, PC reboots.

Does anyone else have this problem? And ideally, does anyone have a
soloution?

Paul



An Engineer's Guide to the LPC2100 Series

At 10:14 PM 11/2/04 +0000, you wrote:
> Having finally got IAR to compile stuff (thanks Ivan for the help), my
>only problem now is that the Philips LPC Flash utility keeps crashing my PC,
>sometimes its fine, and I can read the Processor ID, and flash it. If I do
>this a second time, 9 times out of ten the PC reboots.
> A lot of the time the LPC flash utility says it can't find the board, do
>this a few times in a row and then blam, PC reboots.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem? And ideally, does anyone have a
>soloution?

I've not had the crash problem but on the few occasions I've had trouble
connecting it has just been a bad/loose connection. Have you tried one of
the other ISP programs?

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself. There are always restrictions,
be they legal, genetic, or physical. If you don't believe me, try to
chew a radio signal. "

Kelvin Throop, III



Paul,

Do you have linux, or can you install it?

Unless it's a bad hardware problem, it's highly unlikely linux will
crash when running my little flash utility.

http://www.pjrc.com/arm/lpc2k_pgm/ Paul




Robert,

> I've not had the crash problem but on the few occasions I've had trouble
> connecting it has just been a bad/loose connection. Have you tried one of
> the other ISP programs?

No, a good point.
Any you can recommend?

Paul



Paul,

> Do you have linux, or can you install it?

No, I've got OSX, but no drivers for my usb to serial thingy for OSX (or
linux).

> Unless it's a bad hardware problem, it's highly unlikely linux will
> crash when running my little flash utility.

I've tried two different USB-> serial converters..

> http://www.pjrc.com/arm/lpc2k_pgm/

I'll see what I can do.

thanks
Paul


At 09:19 PM 11/4/04 +0000, you wrote:

>Robert,
>
> > I've not had the crash problem but on the few occasions I've had trouble
> > connecting it has just been a bad/loose connection. Have you tried one of
> > the other ISP programs?
>
>No, a good point.
>Any you can recommend?

Well Pauls has already jumped in with a pointer to his Linux GUI download
program. The other one I'm aware of is Martin's lpc21isp.

http://www.engelschall.com/~martin/lpc21xx/isp/index.html

I've used all three of them (I've not seen your problem though).

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself. There are always restrictions,
be they legal, genetic, or physical. If you don't believe me, try to
chew a radio signal. "

Kelvin Throop, III



On Friday 05 November 2004 10:27, Robert Adsett wrote:
> At 09:19 PM 11/4/04 +0000, you wrote:
> >Robert,
> >
> > > I've not had the crash problem but on the few occasions I've had
> > > trouble connecting it has just been a bad/loose connection. Have you
> > > tried one of the other ISP programs?
> >
> >No, a good point.
> >Any you can recommend?
>
> Well Pauls has already jumped in with a pointer to his Linux GUI download
> program. The other one I'm aware of is Martin's lpc21isp.
>
> http://www.engelschall.com/~martin/lpc21xx/isp/index.html
>
> I've used all three of them (I've not seen your problem though).
>
> Robert

I have problems with the Philips programmer with some hardware/PC
combinations but have no problems with lpc21isp under both Linux and Windows.

What happens is that the LPCxxx sees some unexpected stuff on the serial
lines and gets confused. The confusion can be corrected by retrying the '?'
until things sort themselves out. I've found up to 70 '?' are sometimes
required.

I added retry/synchronisation to Martin's lpc21isp a while ago and told
Philips of the issue, but so far it appears they have not added this to their
code. I have never tried Paul's GUI so I don't know if this implements the
retry.

The last time I tried it, the Philips app still had not implemented any
retry/ syncronisation stuff and it sends just one '?'. The programmer does
not always connect successfully with all hardware/PC combinations. I have
found this to be worse with laptops which seem to implement some sort of
power saving on the serial ports which throws the protocol out of step. This
happens particularly with hardware that does not use the serial cable for
reset and setting the programming state.

-- CHarles