PIC16F628 support in PICC Lite

Started by Jeff Cooper June 24, 2003
People:

PICC Lite lists 16F627 but not 16F628 as a supported device. The
include file, 16f6x.h has comments pertaining to 16F628 and a #ifdef
referencing a symbol called _16F628. Can I target the 16F628 and use
its 2K of program memory or will they prevent that?

Also if they do allow it, the 16F628A would also work, right?

Is there a hack/way to compile for the 16F819? Maybe compile for
another PIC, avoid certain features, and do some postprocessing?

Thanks,
Coop, AA1WW




At 11:58 AM 24/06/03, you wrote:
>People:
>
>PICC Lite lists 16F627 but not 16F628 as a supported device. The
>include file, 16f6x.h has comments pertaining to 16F628 and a #ifdef
>referencing a symbol called _16F628. Can I target the 16F628 and use
>its 2K of program memory or will they prevent that?
>
>Also if they do allow it, the 16F628A would also work, right?
>
>Is there a hack/way to compile for the 16F819? Maybe compile for
>another PIC, avoid certain features, and do some postprocessing?
>
>Thanks,
>Coop, AA1WW

Jeff

All you need to do is to copy the 627 info in the pic.ini file into a new
section then change just the header to 628. Then you will be able to
select and program.

Dave




--- In , Dave King <KingDWS@S...> wrote:
> At 11:58 AM 24/06/03, you wrote:
> >People:
> >
> >PICC Lite lists 16F627 but not 16F628 as a supported device.
> >The include file, 16f6x.h has comments pertaining to 16F628
> >and a #ifdef referencing a symbol called _16F628. Can I target
> >the 16F628 and use its 2K of program memory or will they prevent
> >that?
> >
> >Also if they do allow it, the 16F628A would also work, right?
> >
> >Is there a hack/way to compile for the 16F819? Maybe compile
> >for another PIC, avoid certain features, and do some
> >postprocessing?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Coop, AA1WW > Jeff
>
> All you need to do is to copy the 627 info in the pic.ini file
> into a new section then change just the header to 628. Then you
> will be able to select and program.
>
> Dave

Thanks, Dave. I found piclite.ini in the C:\PICCLITE\lib
subdirectory and copy, pasted, and edited a new [16F628]
section from the existing [16F627] section changing from
ROMSIZE@0 to ROMSIZE0. It seemed to work. I made the
led.c example program (after changing PORTC to PORTB) with
both 16F627 and 16F628. There were 12 bytes @ 0x0000 and
then 72 bytes of (runtime?) stuff @ 0x07FBA for the 16F627
(1K of program memory appox. 2 bytes wide) and @ 0FBA for
the 16F628 (1K of program memory appox. 2 bytes wide).

I have a homebrew target board I can try the program in
and see if it works using a PIC16F628.

Thanks,
Coop, AA1WW



That was originally found in a reply from a support gnome at Hi-Tech.
It was buried in one of the support groups and was sort of you
could try it but we won't say it will work kind of things.

Really makes it useful to use now instead of just the standard
84.

Cheers

Dave At 01:59 PM 24/06/03, you wrote:
>--- In , Dave King <KingDWS@S...> wrote:
> > At 11:58 AM 24/06/03, you wrote:
> > >People:
> > >
> > >PICC Lite lists 16F627 but not 16F628 as a supported device.
> > >The include file, 16f6x.h has comments pertaining to 16F628
> > >and a #ifdef referencing a symbol called _16F628. Can I target
> > >the 16F628 and use its 2K of program memory or will they prevent
> > >that?
> > >
> > >Also if they do allow it, the 16F628A would also work, right?
> > >
> > >Is there a hack/way to compile for the 16F819? Maybe compile
> > >for another PIC, avoid certain features, and do some
> > >postprocessing?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Coop, AA1WW
> >
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > All you need to do is to copy the 627 info in the pic.ini file
> > into a new section then change just the header to 628. Then you
> > will be able to select and program.
> >
> > Dave
>
>Thanks, Dave. I found piclite.ini in the C:\PICCLITE\lib
>subdirectory and copy, pasted, and edited a new [16F628]
>section from the existing [16F627] section changing from
>ROMSIZE@0 to ROMSIZE0. It seemed to work. I made the
>led.c example program (after changing PORTC to PORTB) with
>both 16F627 and 16F628. There were 12 bytes @ 0x0000 and
>then 72 bytes of (runtime?) stuff @ 0x07FBA for the 16F627
>(1K of program memory appox. 2 bytes wide) and @ 0FBA for
>the 16F628 (1K of program memory appox. 2 bytes wide).
>
>I have a homebrew target board I can try the program in
>and see if it works using a PIC16F628.
>
>Thanks,
>Coop, AA1WW >
>to unsubscribe, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com and follow the instructions
>
>">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the
friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes

\|/ ____ \|/
~@-/ oO \-@~
/_( \__/ )_\
\__U_/