ARM or NIOS or ...

Started by Captain Bly July 8, 2004
We currently are using the Phillips XA processors for our embedded projects.
We looking to move in to something new (JTAG not ICE) and something we can
'next generation' What is the general view on ARM and NIOS softcores FPGA's,
I've been told the Altera parts are a long ramp up time and maybe we should
go to an ARM by my sales rep. We do floating point, use some memory and need
some glue logic. 16 or 32 bits would be our first choice. Any suggestions?
thanks all

"Captain Bly" <Bobcrap@aol.com> wrote in message news:<%ciHc.89564$kz.18233379@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> We currently are using the Phillips XA processors for our embedded projects. > We looking to move in to something new (JTAG not ICE) and something we can > 'next generation' What is the general view on ARM and NIOS softcores FPGA's, > I've been told the Altera parts are a long ramp up time and maybe we should > go to an ARM by my sales rep. We do floating point, use some memory and need > some glue logic. 16 or 32 bits would be our first choice. Any suggestions? > thanks all
Hi, did you have a look at existing microcontrollers instead of softcores. If you want to spend more development time, more many on the device, more power in your application but get a very specific implementation, go for a softcore. If you are OK with a standard micro, lots of available tools but not sp specific for your application, you might want to try the LPC2000 micros from Philips (ARM7 based) or if you have another half year time to wait for devices from ST Microclectronis and / or Atmel, they will have similar devices to the Philips offering. Lots of information here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lpc2000/ Cheers, Schwob
"Captain Bly" <Bobcrap@aol.com> wrote in message news:<%ciHc.89564$kz.18233379@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> We currently are using the Phillips XA processors for our embedded projects. > We looking to move in to something new (JTAG not ICE) and something we can > 'next generation' What is the general view on ARM and NIOS softcores FPGA's, > I've been told the Altera parts are a long ramp up time and maybe we should > go to an ARM by my sales rep. We do floating point, use some memory and need > some glue logic. 16 or 32 bits would be our first choice. Any suggestions? > thanks all
NIOS doesnt have h/w floating point, so depending on what performance you need, that might be a no starter. Cheers, JonB
"Captain Bly" <Bobcrap@aol.com> wrote in message news:<%ciHc.89564$kz.18233379@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> We currently are using the Phillips XA processors for our embedded projects. > We looking to move in to something new (JTAG not ICE) and something we can > 'next generation' What is the general view on ARM and NIOS softcores FPGA's, > I've been told the Altera parts are a long ramp up time and maybe we should > go to an ARM by my sales rep. We do floating point, use some memory and need > some glue logic. 16 or 32 bits would be our first choice. Any suggestions? > thanks all
If your system needs a CPU with 2 UARTs and you can find that configuration in a traditional device then that traditional device will probably be less expensive in design and production. If how ever you need 3 UARTs and have to add parts to support the traditional device then very rapidly the softcore approach will become less expensive. The other thing I see happening relates to life of your system. If the manufacturer decides to stop making the mocro hten you're forced to last time buys and redesigns. If you have a softcore approach then it's more straight forward to move the design into a newer FPGA. Don't know if either of these points apply. Keep us posted on your descisions as I think th egroup would be interested. George

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference