Linux along with Windows booted from USB Stick (Co-existence of Linux & Windows)

Started by karthikbalaguru January 4, 2010
Hi,
I need Windows for certain applications
and Linux for certain other applications.
But, the computer currently has only
Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it.
I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed
on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via
USB stick !! :-)

I am following the below steps for
Windows XP from USB stick -
http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html
(Windows XP is booted from USB Stick)

But,
I understand that by the above method
we can have the Windows XP booted
up from the USB Stick and Windows
XP will be using entire RAM :-(

But, i would like to have Linux also !
Is it possible to have Linux and Windows
simulataneously so that i can switch
between Linux & Windows ?

Any ideas ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 12:23:16 -0800 (PST), karthikbalaguru
<karthikbalaguru79@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, >I need Windows for certain applications >and Linux for certain other applications.
[snippety snip]
>Any ideas ?
Wine. Or at least, a mention that the current Wine release was tried and didn't work for the particular app(s). It's not 100% but I've been surprised at some of the apps that it does support. -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Use a virtual machine instead. VirtualBox is free. -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
"karthikbalaguru" <karthikbalaguru79@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi, > I need Windows for certain applications > and Linux for certain other applications. > But, the computer currently has only > Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it. > I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed > on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via > USB stick !! :-) > > I am following the below steps for > Windows XP from USB stick - > http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html > (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick) > > But, > I understand that by the above method > we can have the Windows XP booted > up from the USB Stick and Windows > XP will be using entire RAM :-( > > But, i would like to have Linux also ! > Is it possible to have Linux and Windows > simulataneously so that i can switch > between Linux & Windows ? > > Any ideas ? > > Thx in advans, > Karthik Balaguru
Install Xp in VirtualBox? /Henning
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Henning wrote:
> "karthikbalaguru" <karthikbalaguru79@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet > news:68d792d9-bc5c-4356-b8d9-713b8f2e933b@z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com... >> Hi, >> I need Windows for certain applications >> and Linux for certain other applications. >> But, the computer currently has only >> Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it. >> I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed >> on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via >> USB stick !! :-) >> >> I am following the below steps for >> Windows XP from USB stick - >> http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html >> (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick) >> >> But, >> I understand that by the above method >> we can have the Windows XP booted >> up from the USB Stick and Windows >> XP will be using entire RAM :-( >> >> But, i would like to have Linux also ! >> Is it possible to have Linux and Windows >> simulataneously so that i can switch >> between Linux & Windows ? >> >> Any ideas ? >> >> Thx in advans, >> Karthik Balaguru > > Install Xp in VirtualBox? > > /Henning >
Bochs, Virtualbox, QEMU, VMWare ... all can run Windows in emulation under Linux ... Wine is also a solution. Cheers, Rob Sciuk

That is working very well for me. Granted, it's been only two months, but all signs are good. -- www.wescottdesign.com
Rich Webb wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 12:23:16 -0800 (PST), karthikbalaguru > <karthikbalaguru79@gmail.com> wrote: > >> Hi, >> I need Windows for certain applications >> and Linux for certain other applications. > [snippety snip] >> Any ideas ? > > Wine. Or at least, a mention that the current Wine release was tried and > didn't work for the particular app(s). It's not 100% but I've been > surprised at some of the apps that it does support. >
wine works for about 1% of apps, badly VMware or virtual box is a lot better.
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> karthikbalaguru wrote: >> Hi, >> I need Windows for certain applications >> and Linux for certain other applications. >> But, the computer currently has only >> Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it. >> I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed >> on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via >> USB stick !! :-) >> >> I am following the below steps for >> Windows XP from USB stick - >> http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html >> (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick) >> >> But, >> I understand that by the above method >> we can have the Windows XP booted >> up from the USB Stick and Windows >> XP will be using entire RAM :-( >> >> But, i would like to have Linux also ! >> Is it possible to have Linux and Windows >> simulataneously so that i can switch >> between Linux & Windows ? >> >> Any ideas ? > > Use a virtual machine instead. VirtualBox is free. >
So is Vmware. Pretty much rock solid for me here. used daily.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> So is Vmware. Pretty much rock solid for me here. used daily.
Clarification: VMware Player and VMware Server are free. VMware Workstation will cost you. Either work fantastically. Either is better than dual-booting/booting from USB/booting from CD or DVD/using something like WINE, IMHO. -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> karthikbalaguru wrote: >> I need Windows for certain applications >> and Linux for certain other applications. >> But, the computer currently has only >> Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it. >> I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed >> on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via >> USB stick !! :-) >> >> I am following the below steps for >> Windows XP from USB stick - >> http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html >> (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick) >> >> But, >> I understand that by the above method >> we can have the Windows XP booted >> up from the USB Stick and Windows >> XP will be using entire RAM :-( >> >> But, i would like to have Linux also ! >> Is it possible to have Linux and Windows >> simulataneously so that i can switch >> between Linux & Windows ? >> >> Any ideas ? > > Shenan Stanley wrote: >> Use a virtual machine instead. VirtualBox is free. > > The Natural Philosopher wrote: >> So is Vmware. Pretty much rock solid for me here. used daily. > > Clarification: VMware Player and VMware Server are free. VMware Workstation > will cost you. >
Yes.
> Either work fantastically. Either is better than dual-booting/booting from > USB/booting from CD or DVD/using something like WINE, IMHO. >
Fantastic? No. screen and cursors is a tad slow, and networking is a fair bit slower than a native windows. But its good enough for what I do. CAD work mainly.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference