PIC + ubuntu newbie problem

Started by philae May 13, 2010
Hi,
I'm using Ubuntu and I need to program pic 16f877 for my course . I
downloaded piklab and when I connect the pic from usb nothing happened i.e
Ubuntu didn't see  the PIC. How can I solve this problem?

Thanx, P.

---------------------------------------
On May 13, 8:02=A0am, "philae" <duygu_the_duygu@n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Hi, > I'm using Ubuntu and I need to program pic 16f877 for my course . I > downloaded piklab and when I connect the pic from usb nothing happened i.=
> Ubuntu didn't see =A0the PIC. How can I solve this problem?
Dig deeper. Are the drivers loaded? Are the programs running? Are you awake in class?
I dimly recall that you need to make yourself a member of the group that has access to USB -- Google is your friend. -- Tim Wescott Control system and signal processing consulting www.wescottdesign.com
> I'm using Ubuntu... Ubuntu didn't see the PIC. How can I solve this > problem?
By using Windows7, deeps**t? Keep using Ubuntu, expect grea tresults.
> I'm using Ubuntu... Ubuntu didn't see the PIC. How can I solve this > problem?
By using Windows7, deeps**t? Keep using Ubuntu, expect grea tresults.
Do yourself a favor:

1) Use Windows.

2) Download/use Microchip MPLAB IDE.

3) Download/use Microchip "C18" C-compiler.
It's free for 2 months w/optimizations, after 2 months optimizations get
disabled but you can still compile code, you don't need optimizations as you
seem to be a novice anyway.  If you want optimizations to never get
disabled, ask me but my & everyone's email here is hidden for security and I
DON"T read this Group too often, so I won't know when/if you ask.

4) Stop the teenage/geek/nerd-obsession with Ubuntu.  It's a crap OS for 3d
world or people who think "Capitalism is evil".

Listen to me:
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.  YOU PAY NOTHING FOR UBUNUTU (IT'S LINUX - SO IT'S
FREE).  SO WHAT DO YOU EXPEC TTO GET FROM IT?
Burning DVD'd, email & word processor?  If that's all you need, then Ubuntu
is OK.  If you want WORK to get done (business), the you will forget Ubuntu.

FYI:
Ubuntu flavor of Linux is sponsored by Mike Shuttleworth, he makes mony on
supporting Ubuntu so if you enjoy the idea of "free software" not only is
someone making money off you fools, but it's also killing capitalism.  If
nobody gets paid for their work creating Software, nobody takes
responsibility for its quality, progress or creating JOBS.

Everytime you try playing with Ubuntu, you kill a job at Microsoft, which in
turn kills a job at fast food joints, car dealers, etc. - where that person
who lost his job at Mirosofto stops shopping.  It's a cycle.

So please buy software, and maybe you won't have a problem "recognizing PIC"
Micorcontroller.

On 2010-05-13, philae <duygu_the_duygu@n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm using Ubuntu and I need to program pic 16f877 for my course . I > downloaded piklab and when I connect the pic from usb nothing > happened i.e Ubuntu didn't see the PIC. How can I solve this problem?
In my experience PIC is very Unix-hostile (besides which, the CPU architectures are very ugly). I find Atmel AVR to be a lot more Unix-friendly. TI MSP430 isn't quite as Unix-friendly as the AVR, but it's still way better than PIC (and the MSP430 architecture is _so_ much nicer than the PIC). If you really have no choice and have to suffer the indignity of using a PIC, then you might try installing Windows under Qemu or one of the other virtual machines and setting up USB pass-through. -- Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Hello, GORRY-O!! at I'm a GENIUS from HARVARD!! gmail.com
Ohh and one final suggestion:

Stop using PIC16f877.

It is an antique, old, crap Microcontroller.  I know you chose it b/c it's
been around for a decade+ & ton of software, books, examples were written
around it.  SO that means you have to be stuck with an archaic
Microcontroller?  Microchip makes money on people like you b/c it's become
extremely cheap to manufacture & there're people still buying this crap.
Stop it.

STEP UP to modern Microcontroller.  I recommend AT LEAST PIC18F4520, it
costs $ if you apply discounts/etc deals at Digikey or Newark or Microchip
Direct.  Better yet start using PIC24xxxx series as their cost increase over
PIC18Fxxxx is now negligible

The old PIC16F877 you're using even has problems with recursion, it has a
tiny Stack and creates many problems for modern programmers.
This chip is good for toys maybe, not serious design anymore.

"Stanley Starinski" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> Do yourself a favor: > > 1) Use Windows. > > 2) Download/use Microchip MPLAB IDE. > > 3) Download/use Microchip "C18" C-compiler. > It's free for 2 months w/optimizations, after 2 months optimizations get > disabled but you can still compile code, you don't need optimizations as > you seem to be a novice anyway. If you want optimizations to never get > disabled, ask me but my & everyone's email here is hidden for security and > I DON"T read this Group too often, so I won't know when/if you ask. > > 4) Stop the teenage/geek/nerd-obsession with Ubuntu. It's a crap OS for > 3d world or people who think "Capitalism is evil". > > Listen to me: > YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. YOU PAY NOTHING FOR UBUNUTU (IT'S LINUX - SO > IT'S FREE). SO WHAT DO YOU EXPEC TTO GET FROM IT? > Burning DVD'd, email & word processor? If that's all you need, then > Ubuntu is OK. If you want WORK to get done (business), the you will > forget Ubuntu. > > FYI: > Ubuntu flavor of Linux is sponsored by Mike Shuttleworth, he makes mony on > supporting Ubuntu so if you enjoy the idea of "free software" not only is > someone making money off you fools, but it's also killing capitalism. If > nobody gets paid for their work creating Software, nobody takes > responsibility for its quality, progress or creating JOBS. > > Everytime you try playing with Ubuntu, you kill a job at Microsoft, which > in turn kills a job at fast food joints, car dealers, etc. - where that > person who lost his job at Mirosofto stops shopping. It's a cycle. > > So please buy software, and maybe you won't have a problem "recognizing > PIC" Micorcontroller.
Stan Starinski or Mark Licetti, or what ever name you are using this week - How interesting. You lambaste those who use a freely available, non-windows, operating system as destroying capitalism, then offer to help them steal the use of C18 optimization (if they can get in touch with you). ("If you want optimizations to never get disabled, ask me but my & everyone's email here is hidden for security and I DON"T read this Group too often, so I won't know when/if you ask.") Your "understanding" of the power of Ubuntu is that "Everytime you try playing with Ubuntu, you kill a job at Microsoft, which in turn kills a job at fast food joints, car dealers, etc. - where that person who lost his job at Mirosofto stops shopping. It's a cycle." I seriously doubt a Microsoft employee loses his or her job every time someone tries "playing with Ubuntu". If this were true, Microsoft would have been defunct a long time ago. The last time I checked, Bill Gates, his employees, and Microsoft stockholders were still hanging in there. Furthermore, your leap to one lost job at MS to one lost job as each of several other businesses shows a complete lack of understanding of economics. Your opinion of Ubuntu is that "It's a crap OS for 3d world or people who think "Capitalism is evil"." How in the world did you arrive at this conclusion? What can you offer as supporting evidence? Most of the folks I know who "play" with Ubuntu and other variants do so because they want a reliable operating system for important applications. Some simply want to tell their operating system what to do, instead of the other way around, and do it without all the fancy, nearly mindless, GUIs in existance today. Many of those I know live in the U.S., U.K., and Italy (non third-workd countries, yet), use both Windows and Linux for various applications, and all are "capitalists". Again, you finish by saying, "So please buy software...". How does this square with your "teenage/geek/nerd-obsession with" stealing software, perpetuating the "cycle" you accuse the Ubuntu users of? Richard Seriani, Sr. (Real name and not a Ubuntu user-yet)
> offer to help them steal the use of C18 optimization...
What do you mean by "steal"? I turned Optimizations off b/c MCU here has 8 times more memory than I'll need even if code doubles in size. C18 is usable even after 60 days - if you don't mind losing optimization. I am surprised Microchip wouldn't disable it completely after 60 days - flashmemory is so cheap that it's OK to sacrifice optimization if you don't write monster-sized code or one that needs lightning fast speed. I wrote ffor ACpower controiller application, my clock is 20MHz, I am perfectly fine w/o optimizing code, code comptactness or speed is nto critical for this application. IN ADDITION - STUDENTS GET DISCOUNTED PRICING. ========================= Stan Starinski Consulting Engineer (EE+ME, ECAD+MCAD [3D/2D]), R&D + Prototype, Embedded/Firmware ["C" or ASM for Microcontrollers], computers).

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference