H-bridges - what am I missing?

Started by larwe September 19, 2010
On Sep 20, 4:28=A0pm, Anton Erasmus <nob...@spam.prevent.net> wrote:

> >expecting - National LMD18200. Seems like a very old part though. > > The even older L298N might also be viable. Stil available from > multiple sources. In stock at Digikey.
Cheap, too. But dropping 10W(ish) in the chip for a 2A load?! :)
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Sep 19, 4:22 pm, Dave Nadler <d...@nadler.com> wrote:

> > I'm looking for a simple, preferably through-hole H-bridge IC, nothing > > fancy, for PWM-controlled DC motor drive. (5A max would be plenty). > > Sorry if I'm being dense Lewin, but this part is for > driving a DC motor in one or the other direction, > for example car electric window.
I need to drive a DC gearhead motor forward and reverse, with some speed control (2 or 3 steps in each direction). Fine control of motor speed is not necessary, and this is open loop. It would be a low frequency PWM signal, but the switching times mentioned in that specific datasheet seem to imply up to maybe 30kHz is theoretically doable. Control is from a general-purpose micro with two 10-bit PWM outputs and various available GPIOs. I could do what I want to do with discrete FETs but I don't want to have to design all the shoot-through protection, etc. etc. and worry about what I might have forgotten - much rather get a canned part. If shoot-through is what I think it is - both ends of a half bridge being on together during a transition and shorting the supply - then there are plenty of half bridge drivers that look after that. Just connect to a pair of N-channel fets and drive with logic signals (typically H/L and enable). 2 should produce an H-bridge unless I'm missing something. I've driven FETs up to > 350 KHz using these with no problems.
> PS: careful on lead time of H-bridges - I'm having > difficulty finding what we need that's actually
I thought it was just me - almost all the parts I want are no stock everywhere...

There are some other like the LMD18200 (approx. 40V/3Apk) chips aviable Freescale MC33186 ST: L6203 Infineon TLE7209, TLE5205 all are more or less aviable @ digikey (Austria) hth - Michael Wieser --