realtime embedded systems doubt

Started by Unknown June 10, 2004
Hello,

I am student at University of Southern California,Los Angeles.

I have a question about embedded RTOS like QNX. They say that QNX is
embedded OS, meaning it is for specific purpose for specific devices.
I dowloaded the non-commercial edition and I an running it on my PC.

I am able to surf the web, edit files using abiword. So how is this
different from general purpose operating systems. Where is the RealTime
part of it. They also claim that QNX runs on devices installed in cars.

How is that possible. How can I surf web through a device ??

Please clear my concepts of real time embedded systems. I am very very new
to all this.

Regards,
Tejas

Tejas Arun Kokje <kokje@usc.edu> says...

>They also claim that QNX runs on devices installed in cars.
It most certainly does, and it runs great on robots - I have used it several times on robotics projects.
>How is that possible. How can I surf web through a device ??
Have you ever surfed the web on your cellphone? -- Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire. Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you have an "impossible" engineering project that only someone like Doc Brown can solve? My resume is at http://www.guymacon.com/
 > How is that possible. How can I surf web through a device ??

Sorry, it's not possible.

:-)
Richard Saunders <rsaund@hotpop.com> says...
> >> How is that possible. How can I surf web through a device ?? > >Sorry, it's not possible.
Hey! My web-enabled cellphone just disapeared in a puff of smoke! Can I get you to say that lawyers are imossible? :)

Tejas Arun Kokje wrote:

> Hello, > > I am student at University of Southern California,Los Angeles. > > I have a question about embedded RTOS like QNX. They say that QNX is > embedded OS, meaning it is for specific purpose for specific devices. > I dowloaded the non-commercial edition and I an running it on my PC. > > I am able to surf the web, edit files using abiword. So how is this > different from general purpose operating systems. Where is the RealTime > part of it. They also claim that QNX runs on devices installed in cars. > > How is that possible. How can I surf web through a device ?? > > Please clear my concepts of real time embedded systems. I am very very new > to all this. > > Regards, > Tejas
Embedded System : a computer Embedded inside another machine or system. Real Time: the computer will respond to simulus within a guaranteed amount of time. Ever notice windows lagging while some program is busy? it would not be too good if your breaks where delayed because you changed the radio station.
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:55:07 -0700, Tejas Arun Kokje <kokje@usc.edu>
wrote:

>They say that QNX is embedded OS,
Yes.
>meaning it is for specific purpose for specific devices.
No. QNX is a modular system ... it can be configured as a tasking kernel only, as a complete Unix work-alike with file system and networking, or as almost anything in between. The operating system is adapted to new hardware by writing device drivers.
>I am able to surf the web, edit files using abiword. So how is this >different from general purpose operating systems.
You don't surf or edit with the operating system, you do these things with application programs which run on top of the operating system.
>Where is the RealTime part of it.
You won't see it unless you get the development package and write yourself a timing critical program.
>They also claim that QNX runs on devices installed in cars.
I wouldn't know.
>How is that possible. How can I surf web through a device ??
Your computer is a device isn't it? George -- Send real email to GNEUNER2 at COMCAST o NET
Tejas Arun Kokje <kokje@usc.edu> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.06.10.23.55.07.38983@usc.edu>...
> Hello, > > I am student at University of Southern California,Los Angeles. > > I have a question about embedded RTOS like QNX. They say that QNX is > embedded OS, meaning it is for specific purpose for specific devices. > I dowloaded the non-commercial edition and I an running it on my PC. > > I am able to surf the web, edit files using abiword. So how is this > different from general purpose operating systems. Where is the RealTime > part of it. They also claim that QNX runs on devices installed in cars.
QNX is different than desktop operating systems in many ways. It is factored into pieces that let you use just the pieces that you need without using all the pieces. Remember when Microsoft claimed that they just couldn't remove their browser from the desktop without everything crashing down. Partly because of the factoring of parts and partly because of the way the parts were designed it is designed to have much harder real-time responses than typical desktop environments. Real-time is not a hard definition but a sign that something isn't real-time is when a user stares at an hour-glass icon until they decide to take a coffe break and come back.
> How is that possible. How can I surf web through a device ??
Software design! It depends on which device you choose to use. Some devices will let you surf the web others won't. Some will use a mouse, some will use an IR Remote, some will use a touch screen, some will use voice, etc. etc.
> Please clear my concepts of real time embedded systems. I > am very very new to all this.
There was a recent thread about the difference between the terms real-time and embedded systems that you should find very educational. There were lots of good posts and a little quibling about whether a payroll system that produces output once a month, or sometimes prints out the checks a few years late, is really real-time or not. ;-) Best Wishes
Jeff Fox <fox@ultratechnology.com> says...

>Real-time >is not a hard definition but a sign that something isn't real-time >is when a user stares at an hour-glass icon until they decide to >take a coffe break and come back.
..which is something that you *really* don't want to happen to your anti-lock brakes, pacemaker, or nuclear power plant colling system... :) -- Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire. Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you have an "impossible" engineering project that only someone like Doc Brown can solve? My resume is at http://www.guymacon.com/

I hate it when I have to delay my breaks. But it would be more serious if my brakes didn't work while driving. -- Al Balmer Balmer Consulting removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Tejas Arun Kokje wrote:

> Hello, > > I am student at University of Southern California,Los Angeles. > > I have a question about embedded RTOS like QNX. They say that QNX is > embedded OS, meaning it is for specific purpose for specific devices. > I dowloaded the non-commercial edition and I an running it on my PC. > > I am able to surf the web, edit files using abiword. So how is this > different from general purpose operating systems. Where is the RealTime > part of it. They also claim that QNX runs on devices installed in cars. > > How is that possible. How can I surf web through a device ?? > > Please clear my concepts of real time embedded systems. I am very very new > to all this. > > Regards, > Tejas > >
Simple. Real time is an operating system that has been constructed correctly. Your desktop operating system cannot be used as real time operating system because it was designed by people who would not know a real time operating system if it fell on them.