realtime embedded systems doubt

Started by Unknown June 10, 2004
Scott Moore <samiam@moorecad.com> says...

>Simple. Real time is an operating system that has been constructed >correctly. Your desktop operating system cannot be used as real >time operating system because it was designed by people who would >not know a real time operating system if it fell on them.
Considering the fact that they thought that giving an incoming email the power to read your address book and send emails to people on it was a fine idea, it's a shock that they have figured out how to alternate inhaling and exhaling. -- Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire. Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you have an "impossible" engineering project that only someone like Doc Brown can solve? My resume is at http://www.guymacon.com/
"Scott Moore" <samiam@moorecad.com> wrote in message
> Tejas Arun Kokje wrote: > > > Hello, > > > > I am student at University of Southern California,Los Angeles. > > > > I have a question about embedded RTOS like QNX. They say that QNX is > > embedded OS, meaning it is for specific purpose for specific devices. > > I dowloaded the non-commercial edition and I an running it on my PC. > > > > I am able to surf the web, edit files using abiword. So how is this > > different from general purpose operating systems. Where is the RealTime > > part of it. They also claim that QNX runs on devices installed in cars. > > > > How is that possible. How can I surf web through a device ?? > > > > Please clear my concepts of real time embedded systems. I am very very
new
> > to all this. > >
Both concepts "real time" and "embedded" are really understood in many ways. You can find numerous definitions for both, easily. All OS'es can be used in embedded systems of some kind. Some just perform better doing this than others....
> > Regards, > > Tejas > > > > > > Simple. Real time is an operating system that has been constructed > correctly.
???
>Your desktop operating system cannot be used as real > time operating system because it was designed by people who would > not know a real time operating system if it fell on them.
Are you referring to QNX with that? Pygmi

Alan Balmer wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:35:51 GMT, Neil Kurzman <nsk@mail.asb.com> > wrote: > > >good if your breaks where delayed because you changed the radio station. > > I hate it when I have to delay my breaks. But it would be more serious > if my brakes didn't work while driving. > > -- > Al Balmer > Balmer Consulting > removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Sorry my context sensitive spell checker missed that one.
Neil Kurzman <nsk@mail.asb.com> says...
> >Alan Balmer wrote: > >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:35:51 GMT, Neil Kurzman <nsk@mail.asb.com> >> wrote: >> >> >good if your breaks where delayed because you changed the radio station. >> >> I hate it when I have to delay my breaks. But it would be more serious >> if my brakes didn't work while driving. > >Sorry my context sensitive spell checker missed that one.
The Spellchecker Song: I have a spelling checker. It came with my Pea Sea. It plane lee marks four my revue Miss steaks aye can knot see. Eye ran this poem threw it. Your sure real glad two no. Its very polished in its weigh, My checker tolled me sew. A checker is a blessing. It freeze yew lodes of thyme. It helps me right awl stiles two reed, And aides me when aye rime. Each frays comes posed up on my screen Eye trussed too bee a joule. The checker pours o'er every word To cheque sum spelling rule. Bee fore a veiling checkers Hour spelling mite decline, And if we're laks oar have a laps, We wood bee maid too wine. Butt now bee cause my spelling Is checked with such grate flare, There are know faults with in my cite, Of nun eye am a wear. Now spelling does not phase me, It does knot bring a tier. My pay purrs awl due glad den With wrapped words fare as hear. To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be proud, And wee mussed dew the best wee can, Sew flaws are knot aloud. Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays Such soft wear four pea seas, And why eye brake in two averse Buy righting want too please. -- Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire. Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you have an "impossible" engineering project that only someone like Doc Brown can solve? My resume is at http://www.guymacon.com/
And here the self appointed internet God fails to mark his post as Off
Topic, thus inconveniencing everybody once again

Guy Macon wrote:

> Neil Kurzman <nsk@mail.asb.com> says... > >>Alan Balmer wrote: >> >> >>>On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:35:51 GMT, Neil Kurzman <nsk@mail.asb.com> >>>wrote: >>> >>> >>>>good if your breaks where delayed because you changed the radio station. >>> >>>I hate it when I have to delay my breaks. But it would be more serious >>>if my brakes didn't work while driving. >> >>Sorry my context sensitive spell checker missed that one. > > > > The Spellchecker Song: > > I have a spelling checker. > It came with my Pea Sea. > It plane lee marks four my revue > Miss steaks aye can knot see. > > Eye ran this poem threw it. > Your sure real glad two no. > Its very polished in its weigh, > My checker tolled me sew. > > A checker is a blessing. > It freeze yew lodes of thyme. > It helps me right awl stiles two reed, > And aides me when aye rime. > > Each frays comes posed up on my screen > Eye trussed too bee a joule. > The checker pours o'er every word > To cheque sum spelling rule. > > Bee fore a veiling checkers > Hour spelling mite decline, > And if we're laks oar have a laps, > We wood bee maid too wine. > > Butt now bee cause my spelling > Is checked with such grate flare, > There are know faults with in my cite, > Of nun eye am a wear. > > Now spelling does not phase me, > It does knot bring a tier. > My pay purrs awl due glad den > With wrapped words fare as hear. > > To rite with care is quite a feet > Of witch won should be proud, > And wee mussed dew the best wee can, > Sew flaws are knot aloud. > > Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays > Such soft wear four pea seas, > And why eye brake in two averse > Buy righting want too please. > >
-- Please remove capitalised letters to reply My apologies for the inconvenience Blame it on the morons that spam the net
And the unteachable annoyance fails to snip 70 odd lines of irrelevant quotation, while irritating the world with YATP. PLONK -- Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@worldnet.att.net) Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems. <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!
CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> says...
> >onestone wrote: >> >> [...] internet God [...] > >And the unteachable annoyance fails to snip 70 odd lines of >irrelevant quotation, while irritating the world with YATP. PLONK
Soon he will be plonked by everyone here and we can go back to discussing embedded systems without a yapping (yatping?) little dog bothering us. BTW, there is no need to call me "God." "Guy" will suffice. :) Getting back to the subject of QNX, it has been a while since I used it on a project. I usually work on the low end (4-bit uP with 64 nybbles of RAM) but the next time I find myself needing a high end RTOS for PC hardware, I will be looking at Embedded Linux and at QNX. My experience with QNX was very positive. -- Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire. Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you have an "impossible" engineering project that only someone like Doc Brown can solve? My resume is at http://www.guymacon.com/
Guy Macon wrote:
> CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> says... >> onestone wrote: >>> >>> [...] internet God [...] >> >> And the unteachable annoyance fails to snip 70 odd lines of >> irrelevant quotation, while irritating the world with YATP. PLONK > > Soon he will be plonked by everyone here and we can go back to > discussing embedded systems without a yapping (yatping?) little > dog bothering us.
Yet Another Top Posting. Blood brother to YACC. -- Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@worldnet.att.net) Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems. <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!
"Self appointed GOD" was the phrase used, stooping to misquotes? You'd
make a good politician, blinkered perspective and all, perhaps you'd
have more success there than your sig seems to indicate you're having at
embedded systems? Just trying to be helpful.

Al

Guy Macon wrote:

> > BTW, there is no need to call me "God." "Guy" will suffice. :) >
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:10:32 GMT, onestone
<onestoneXYZ@ABCbigpond.net.au> wrote:

>"Self appointed GOD" was the phrase used, stooping to misquotes?
? That wasn't a quote.
>You'd >make a good politician, blinkered perspective and all, perhaps you'd >have more success there than your sig seems to indicate you're having at >embedded systems? Just trying to be helpful.
Tell us - what is your expertise in embedded systems? You haven't seen fit to share any of it yet, which would be appropriate before maligning others. But I forgot, you're handicapped. I just realized what it is - one stone. While I'm sympathetic for your loss, that really shouldn't affect your performance much.