Oscilloscope for embbeded syetem.

Started by aladin February 4, 2011
On Feb 5, 1:11=A0pm, Roberto Waltman <use...@rwaltman.com> wrote:

> To add another piece to the puzzle, some low-end HP - sorry, Agilent - > scopes are re-branded Rigol units. (Chinese) > They can be bought cheaper under the original brand. > > Then:http://www.eevblog.com/2010/03/31/eevblog-70-turn-your-rigol-ds1052e
That is way cool. Now I'm looking at my old TDS210 and thinking "I could upgrade you to a 4 channel color unit...."
In article <8f1a5cf4-8f37-4783-b954-05a2104c4c73
@k30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, zwsdotcom@gmail.com says...
Watch for when repetitive sample kicks in. One of the reasons I discounted HP/Rigol and a few others. Been caught by that many times on other people's scopes. -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/> PC Services <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/fonts/> Timing Diagram Font <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate
In article <MPG.27b73835ee37da839896b3@news.eternal-september.org>,
mborgerson@comcast.net says...
I spent a lot of time checking specs on and off over a year before getting to a short list and got a good deal on an ex-demo unit. Sometimes it gets time to upgrade units. -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/> PC Services <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/fonts/> Timing Diagram Font <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate
aladin wrote:
> Hi, > > I have to start working on two boards > > TS-7200 > and an fpga > > I was wondering what kind on oscilloscope should I get? > > With TS-7200, I am going to be using pc like protocols(rs323--i2c), over > general purpose pins. > > Thank you. > >
One thing worth considering is a good quality analogue scope, as it's a lower cost alternative if you need high speed capability. Having said that, modern digital scopes are pretty good and the downside of analogue is the lack of storage. They both have their niche applications, so one of each isn't a bad idea. I started out with s/hand solartron, tektronix 465 and similar, but now have a 2465 tektronix analog and hp 54600a + a 54701A for flexibility. Have had the 2465 for around 7 years now and had to repair the switch mode psu last year, but it's probably 15 years old now. Tube is still good and bright though and there are plenty of spares around on Ebay. Also have an HP 16500B logic analyser / scope mainframe, which can take a wide variety of analyser. scope and word generator plugins. It's big and clunky, but it can be found at firesale prices and has a lot more capability than a dedicated scope or logic analyser alone. Mine cost <100 ukp with 2 logic analyser and 2 scope cards, Have since bought a faster, deep memory card for it and it's paid for itself many times over. Has saved literally weeks of work on occasion. Once again, quite old, but just keeps going. I would always buy s/hand, rather than new as it saves so much cash. The older tek and hp kit is a1 quality and really isn't that difficult to fix on the rare occasion that it does go wrong... Regards, Chris
Mark Borgerson wrote:

> I got my TDS210 way back in the late 90s when I first started as > a self-employed developer. I still use it now. When I got it, > my wife doubted the wisdom of spending $1000 on a piece of test > gear as it was a significant chunk of my income in the first lean > years. On a cost per hour used, it has to be one of my all-time > best buys, though.
That brings back some memories. In 1983 I bought a brand new 2235A. Tek financed it, which caused me to give them my lifetime loyalty. It's still on my bench, still has a bright trace. Same issue with the wife too...
On Feb 5, 8:03=A0pm, Jim Stewart <jstew...@jkmicro.com> wrote:

> It's still on my bench, still has a bright > trace. > > Same issue with the wife too...
So I'm hearing that your wife still has good bright phosphor and doesn't need recapping? Impressive!
On Feb 5, 6:28=A0pm, Paul <p...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk> wrote:

> > That is way cool. Now I'm looking at my old TDS210 and thinking "I > > could upgrade you to a 4 channel color unit...." > > Watch for when repetitive sample kicks in. One of the reasons I > discounted HP/Rigol and a few others.
For the braindead (remember I officially work in Marketing now, not Engineering ;)) what does this actually mean? Are you referring to the fact that (at least on my erstwhile HP) when you zoom in, at some point it starts interpolating samples that aren't there by drawing vectors between real points?
Thats right, I've got my DSO5102B, reflashed it to DSO5202B and now have a
200MHz BW scope for a 100MHz price. Currently using to debug my design with
Spartan-3E board and I am VERY happy with it! All the instructions about mod
are on the eevblog forum and my blog :)

"Roberto Waltman" <usenet@rwaltman.com> wrote in message
> >I was wondering what kind on oscilloscope should I get? > > To add another piece to the puzzle, some low-end HP - sorry, Agilent - > scopes are re-branded Rigol units. (Chinese) > They can be bought cheaper under the original brand. > > Then: > http://www.eevblog.com/2010/03/31/eevblog-70-turn-your-rigol-ds1052e-oscilloscope-into-a-100mhz-ds1102e/ > > or (Tekway) > http://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1571.0 > > -- > Roberto Waltman
In article <bfd32828-5df3-492b-b243-22905ff5bd42
@d19g2000yql.googlegroups.com>, zwsdotcom@gmail.com says...
> > On Feb 5, 8:03&#4294967295;pm, Jim Stewart <jstew...@jkmicro.com> wrote: > > > It's still on my bench, still has a bright > > trace. > > > > Same issue with the wife too... > > So I'm hearing that your wife still has good bright phosphor and > doesn't need recapping? Impressive!
Well, I don't know about you guys, but my wife tops the TDS210 significantly in return on investment! ;-) Mark Borgerson
In article <e67b98fa-d6f8-4895-acd8-
0626dfad48be@j11g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, zwsdotcom@gmail.com says...
> > On Feb 5, 6:28&#4294967295;pm, Paul <p...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk> wrote: > > > > That is way cool. Now I'm looking at my old TDS210 and thinking "I > > > could upgrade you to a 4 channel color unit...." > > > > Watch for when repetitive sample kicks in. One of the reasons I > > discounted HP/Rigol and a few others. > > For the braindead (remember I officially work in Marketing now, not > Engineering ;)) what does this actually mean? Are you referring to the > fact that (at least on my erstwhile HP) when you zoom in, at some > point it starts interpolating samples that aren't there by drawing > vectors between real points?
Beyond a certain sampling speed (not timebase setting), the scope takes samples of the waveform many times slightly offset to build up a higher effective sample rate of the waveform. this is good for looking at continuous waveforms (sine wave), but lousy for looking at high speed datastreams or digitial video down to pixels or their edges, as these change every time it builds up the waveform samples, usually for each triggered event. So looking for a particular packet in a datastream or the pixel on a line can be difficult, as either the event happens once and their is net to no samples to display anything useful, or you cannot guarantee what you are seeing is valid. Your datasheet has to be read very carfully. A usual giveaway is terms like 'Efective Sampling rate'. I know Rigol/HP do this and I have seen this on Yamamachi scopes at what I would consider a fairly low sampling rate. Often this is NOT something you KNOWINGLY choose, and you need to know what the actual max sampling rate is, which is different to bandwidth of scope. You would be amazed how many lower cost upto 200MHz scopes actually have sampling rates of the order of 100 to 500 Mhz and use repetitive sampling to acheive the EFFECTIVE 1 to 2 Gsa/s. Repetitive sampling goes under many (mainly marketing) phrases including Effective Time Sampling. You need to know on a scope when this will happen, as this is built into the scope and is NOT A USER SETTING. See http://www2.tek.com/cmswpt/tidetails.lotr?ct=TI&cs=Application+Note&ci= 14295&lc=EN http://www.evaluationengineering.com/index.php/solutions/instrumentation /beyond-the-specs-what-to-ask-about-scopes.html A Tek primer on it. http://www.cbtricks.com/miscellaneous/tech_publications/scope/sampling.p df http://www.picotech.com/applications/oscilloscope_tutorial.html -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/> PC Services <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/fonts/> Timing Diagram Font <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate