Connection in exterior concrete pad

Started by Robert Adsett September 9, 2011
In article <j4g90h$v2$2@speranza.aioe.org>, nowhere@here.com says...
> > Hi Dennis, > > On 9/9/2011 10:26 PM, Dennis wrote: > > "Robert Adsett"<sub2@aeolusdevelopment.com> wrote in message > > news:120490fb-ba6c-43b3-87b4-cfb63eeac3e1@c29g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > >> A company I'm working with is developing an application the needs to > >> connect power and data (standard 110V/60Hz and RS485 type data) > >> on a flat exterior concrete pad. > > -------------^^^^^^^^^^ > > >> We have connectors that we think will do the job (IP68 with power > >> and data) but we are looking for a connection box that can be cast > >> in place in the concrete for the pad side of the connection. It has > >> to be flush with the concrete so there is no trip hazard when > >> unplugged and have a cover (ditto). The cover can certainly be one > >> that is removed and replaced as needed. Obviously it needs to > >> prevent water entering the cable conduit, the receptacle we are > >> looking at has a bulkhead seal option so some sort of divided > >> box might suit. The climate includes freezing weather, the worst > >> appears to be -31. I suspect the ground is more temperate than > >> the air. > > > Take a walk and see what is used in shopping malls and convention centre > > floors pehaps they use a suitable housing. Often used for kiosks etc which > > are moved around in malls. > > I don't think they are considered "wet/damp locations"
That would be clased as normally inside a commercial premises or industrial premises. Definitely not external wiring. Which is conisdered over here outside the Earth Zone as well as being wet/damp and many other things.. -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/> PC Services <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/fonts/> Timing Diagram Font <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate
Hi Paul,

On 9/10/2011 5:00 PM, Paul wrote:
> [...]
200 ft of pipe. Not much air circulating through there. And, no mention of where that 200 ft *runs* (e.g., if outdoors, you have to expect some amount of ground heave *or* parts of it will be significantly lower than the outlet to get below frost line)
>>> Alternatively you could have an isolation transformer to supply >>> 55-0-55, common on building sites and similar places for a mains >>> supply that is 'safer'. >> >> No longer considered "low voltage". > > AFAIR especially in UK/EU for power wiring anything LESS than 1000V > (1kV) is Low Voltage would need to check my regs, 55-0-55 is Reduced Low > Voltage (RLV) anything below ABOUT 40V AC is Extra Low Voltage (ELV). > > This sort of wiring is commune on building sites for portable power > tools, nominally specified as 110V.
Here (US -- as Robert used "inches" as a term of measurement, I assumed that a reasonably safe guess?), 50V is "low voltage". The next big change in regs comes at 600V (though I think there is another category at 250V) There are also things like "power limited" circuits, etc. Point being: make sure you talk to someone who knows what local ordinances will apply lest you come up with a solution that can't be installed (*sold* but not installed). Most folks see the Code et al. as a "nuisance". I, OTOH, figure there is *some* reason, there -- even if it isn't spelled out explicitly (though the annotated code books try to put some explanation behind each requirement). Also leads to some interesting implementations! E.g., we looked into using a pneumatically actuated switch for the garbage disposal to work around some of the "wet location" and "face up" requirements.
On Sep 10, 4:29=A0am, Paul <p...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk> wrote:
> Also consider what is used for what is classed as street furniture for > power signs, and other roadside units as the safety situations are > similar. These often have forms of isolation trips so that when idiots > drive into them the power is cut off quick.
That's an interesting thought. Certainly a place to take a look. Robert
Convention center box a-la http://www.graybar.com/documents/hubbell-wdk-convention-center-boxes.pdf It's got the depth to accommodate a sealed connector but it is too large.
> Of course, that just gives you *one* connector (power)
Yes and unsealed when connected. That seems to be the hard part.
> =A0From your followup to this post, it seems like you could afford > a *second* box nearby that houses your data/signal connector? > This would get around the prohibition against mains and signals > in the same box -- and, the 5" limit on the (first) box...
Perhaps.
> Yikes! =A0At 1kw, even 48V would require #10AWG wire. =A0I'd have to > look up the ohms/foot to figure what sort of a hit you'd take > at 200+ ft... > > At 24V it would probably be impractical (wire sizes).
Yeah, why make it easy on ourselves?
> [You probably *really* want to talk to a Master Electrician and/or > local inspector in your jurisdiction just to =A0make sure you don't come > up with a solution that is too clever for the Code Police =A0:> =A0]
Yes, first job is to make it as safe as practical, second is to meet code requirements. Finding an existing solution would make both easier. Consultations will take place. I've started making contact.
> > > Still might be worth revisiting to see if the components can > > withstand say 28V and deal with the voltage drop. > > (without knowing your application, ) is there anything that you can > *rationalize* bringing power *with* to the site? =A0E.g., a pair of > lead acid batteries wired in series? > > Or, any "easy" (i.e., "it's just money" =A0:> ) way to cut power > consumption in the devices used?
Haven't figured out any so far. Unfortunately the power draw will last for hours.
> Please keep us appraised of how this sorts itself out!
I'll try to do that. And thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far. Robert
Hi Robert,

On 9/11/2011 9:55 AM, Robert Adsett wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2:47 am, Don Y<nowh...@here.com> wrote: >>> Yes, some convention boxes are close but way too large. >> >> Huh? You said 5" -- I assume "diameter" (or, "across a diagonal")? >> <http://www.lewelectric.com/wp-content/gallery/1101-series/6304-be.jpg> >> should be almost exactly 5 inches diagonally... > > Convention center box a-la > > http://www.graybar.com/documents/hubbell-wdk-convention-center-boxes.pdf > > It's got the depth to accommodate a sealed connector but it is too > large.
How deep do you *need* to go? Perhaps you can fit an extension onto the box. Or, stack one atop the other (bottom removed) to gain the additional depth -- since the sides will be continuous concrete... Can you consider using an "unsealed" connector and counting on the box -- when closed -- to be "water/rain-tight"? I.e., when IN USE, does it still need to meet those requirements?
>> Of course, that just gives you *one* connector (power) > > Yes and unsealed when connected. That seems to be the hard part.
If it has to be sealed while in use, then the risk of liquids entering the box, etc. increases dramatically. I had assumed you only needed to be able to seal it up when *not* in use.
>> From your followup to this post, it seems like you could afford >> a *second* box nearby that houses your data/signal connector? >> This would get around the prohibition against mains and signals >> in the same box -- and, the 5" limit on the (first) box... > > Perhaps.
No doubt not as elegant as a "one box" solution. But, constraints may preclude that approach.
>> Yikes! At 1kw, even 48V would require #10AWG wire. I'd have to >> look up the ohms/foot to figure what sort of a hit you'd take >> at 200+ ft... >> >> At 24V it would probably be impractical (wire sizes). > > Yeah, why make it easy on ourselves?
Perhaps a few square yards of PV's? :-/ <frown> Well, at least you don't have to *also* make it "inexpensive"!
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 22:33:53 -0700, Don Y <nowhere@here.com> wrote:

>Most folks see the Code et al. as a "nuisance". I, OTOH, figure >there is *some* reason, there -- even if it isn't spelled out >explicitly (though the annotated code books try to put some >explanation behind each requirement).
They are, and they aren't, a nuisance. Wiring codes - for the most part - are minimum guides for trade electricians. Particularly at low voltages they routinely permit installations that no safety conscious engineer (or sane person) ever would approve. But then periodically the regs change for no apparent reason other than to stimulate business for electricians and suppliers. You compare the old and new regs and it's obvious that the new is not safer in any way - it's just different enough that existing installations have to be "fixed". George
Hi George,

On 9/11/2011 1:48 PM, George Neuner wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 22:33:53 -0700, Don Y<nowhere@here.com> wrote: > >> Most folks see the Code et al. as a "nuisance". I, OTOH, figure >> there is *some* reason, there -- even if it isn't spelled out >> explicitly (though the annotated code books try to put some >> explanation behind each requirement). > > They are, and they aren't, a nuisance. > > Wiring codes - for the most part - are minimum guides for trade > electricians. Particularly at low voltages they routinely permit > installations that no safety conscious engineer (or sane person) ever > would approve.
What the Code calls Low Voltage, AFAICT, *requires* close to nothing! I wanted to relocate the transformers for the landscape lighting to the back of the garage. This adds ~40 wire feet (each way) of conductor to the circuit. I figured I could just run a pair of 12's for each conductor (let's drive IR losses into the mud :> ) and satisfy *my* needs. Of course, those 12's were going to come from some extra ROMEX I have lying around. "Hmmm... how will an electrician know that *this* ROMEX is carrying 12-24VAC while *that* ROMEX (a few inches away) is carrying mains voltage?" And, what if there's a short or partial short. Granted, it's only a few hundred watts, but... <frown>
> But then periodically the regs change for no apparent reason other > than to stimulate business for electricians and suppliers. You > compare the old and new regs and it's obvious that the new is not > safer in any way - it's just different enough that existing > installations have to be "fixed".
I don't know how "real" that scenario is. I.e., as a kid, I recall hearing (I hung around with lots of tradesmen) that any wiring that was NOT up to the latest code had to be upgraded *to* that code. It struck me, then, as silly: "Who the hell will ever hire an electrician to install an extra receptacle if that electrician is then going to turn around and say, 'I'm sorry, sir, but I have to remove all this K&T wiring and replace it with _______'?" I suspect the practical effect is that these things just get conveniently ignored. OTOH, its hard to see writing a reg where you deliberately *allow* "bad practices" to remain in place... Has anyone any experience with this from a *business location" point of view? I.e., perhaps there they are bigger "sticklers" for these details?
On Sep 11, 2:06=A0pm, Don Y <nowh...@here.com> wrote:
> How deep do you *need* to go? =A0
With the current connector candidate, 50mm.
> Perhaps you can fit an extension > onto the box. =A0Or, stack one atop the other (bottom removed) > to gain the additional depth -- since the sides will be continuous > concrete...
That's essentially what the convention boxes appear to do. We have come up with a design we can build ourselves that uses the same principle but if we can find an existing solution it would make our life easier.
> > Yes and unsealed when connected. =A0That seems to be the hard part. > > If it has to be sealed while in use, then the risk of liquids > entering the box, etc. increases dramatically. =A0I had assumed > you only needed to be able to seal it up when *not* in use.
As I said, why make it easy on ourselves? It is, unfortunately to situation that needs to be worked to.
> Perhaps a few square yards of PV's? =A0:-/
And the corresponding kWhs of batteries. :) That was in the original design concept until the implications of the power requirements were pointed out. Then I think it failed on both aesthetic and cost grounds.
> <frown> =A0Well, at least you don't have to *also* make it "inexpensive"!
Thank heavens for small mercies. Robert
On Sep 12, 10:01=A0am, Robert Adsett <s...@aeolusdevelopment.com> wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2:06=A0pm, Don Y <nowh...@here.com> wrote: > > > How deep do you *need* to go? =A0 > > With the current connector candidate, 50mm. > > > Perhaps you can fit an extension > > onto the box. =A0Or, stack one atop the other (bottom removed) > > to gain the additional depth -- since the sides will be continuous > > concrete... > > That's essentially what the convention boxes appear to do. > We have come up with a design we can build ourselves > that uses the same principle but if we can find an > existing solution it would make our life easier. > > > > Yes and unsealed when connected. =A0That seems to be the hard part. > > > If it has to be sealed while in use, then the risk of liquids > > entering the box, etc. increases dramatically. =A0I had assumed > > you only needed to be able to seal it up when *not* in use. > > As I said, why make it easy on ourselves? =A0It is, unfortunately to > situation that needs to be worked to. > > > Perhaps a few square yards of PV's? =A0:-/ > > And the corresponding kWhs of batteries. :) > > That was in the original design concept until the implications of > the power requirements were pointed out. =A0Then I think it failed > on both aesthetic and cost grounds. > > > <frown> =A0Well, at least you don't have to *also* make it "inexpensive=
"!
> > Thank heavens for small mercies. > > Robert
I suppose it's too late to consider power over ethernet or, gulp, some kinda domotics like X10?
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 19:09:53 -0700, Don Y <nowhere@here.com> wrote:

>> But then periodically the regs change for no apparent reason other >> than to stimulate business for electricians and suppliers. You >> compare the old and new regs and it's obvious that the new is not >> safer in any way - it's just different enough that existing >> installations have to be "fixed". > >I don't know how "real" that scenario is. I.e., as a kid, I recall >hearing (I hung around with lots of tradesmen) that any wiring that >was NOT up to the latest code had to be upgraded *to* that code. >It struck me, then, as silly: "Who the hell will ever hire an >electrician to install an extra receptacle if that electrician is >then going to turn around and say, 'I'm sorry, sir, but I have >to remove all this K&T wiring and replace it with _______'?"
There now are several states that require inspection for home sales and where either the seller or buyer *must* agree to fix any code violations or the home will lose its occupancy permit. In most states, though, home sales still are caveat emptor.
>Has anyone any experience with this from a *business location" >point of view? I.e., perhaps there they are bigger "sticklers" >for these details?
Business and occupancy permits don't transfer with a commercial sale, so commercial properties can be sold with code violations because the new owner will need to get new permits anyway. George

Memfault Beyond the Launch