mp3 network player

Started by Unknown May 22, 2004
Hello!

I'm looking for a way to build small mp3 network player. It should be
something like http://mp3elf.net/ but cheaper. Could you suggest me some
embedded system that has:
- low price
- stereo output
- ethernet with tcp/ip
- rs232 (not necessarily)
- lpt (for LCD)

Of course, it should be fast enough to decode 320 kb/s mp3 files.
System could be stored locally on flash or booted over network.

--
Nastyd

Hi,
Easy with the VLSI chip (VS1001).
Have a look at my page (in french, but for the photos) : www.le68hc908.fr.st
=> "Lecteur MP3"

Regards,

--

Yvan
http://www.ybdesign.fr

"Nastyd" <nastyd@fuckspam.o2.pl> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de news:
c8o1ac$q9r$1@news.onet.pl...
> Hello! > > I'm looking for a way to build small mp3 network player. It should be > something like http://mp3elf.net/ but cheaper. Could you suggest me some > embedded system that has: > - low price > - stereo output > - ethernet with tcp/ip > - rs232 (not necessarily) > - lpt (for LCD) > > Of course, it should be fast enough to decode 320 kb/s mp3 files. > System could be stored locally on flash or booted over network. > > -- > Nastyd > >
Sorry, I've didn't read "ethernet"...

--

Yvan
http://www.ybdesign.fr

"Nastyd" <nastyd@fuckspam.o2.pl> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de news:
c8o1ac$q9r$1@news.onet.pl...
> Hello! > > I'm looking for a way to build small mp3 network player. It should be > something like http://mp3elf.net/ but cheaper. Could you suggest me some > embedded system that has: > - low price > - stereo output > - ethernet with tcp/ip > - rs232 (not necessarily) > - lpt (for LCD) > > Of course, it should be fast enough to decode 320 kb/s mp3 files. > System could be stored locally on flash or booted over network. > > -- > Nastyd > >
I would like to know what are you starting with ?

Do you have any microcontrollers available to you ?

Are you going to have to buy everything needed to build this project ?

Do you have the experience to build and code something like this ?

How much is your time worth ??

Nastyd wrote:
> Hello! > > I'm looking for a way to build small mp3 network player. It should be > something like http://mp3elf.net/ but cheaper. Could you suggest me some > embedded system that has: > - low price > - stereo output > - ethernet with tcp/ip > - rs232 (not necessarily) > - lpt (for LCD) > > Of course, it should be fast enough to decode 320 kb/s mp3 files. > System could be stored locally on flash or booted over network. >
> Do you have any microcontrollers available to you ?
No.
> Are you going to have to buy everything needed to build this project ?
Yes, beside LCD. Ideally I would like to use PC/104 board, but it's too expensive.
> Do you have the experience to build and code something like this ?
Very little experience in electronics, but I have some in coding in asm and C/C++ on x86 and 8051.
> How much is your time worth ??
I have plenty of time!
"Nastyd" <nastyd@fuckspam.o2.pl> wrote in message
> > Do you have any microcontrollers available to you ? > > No. > > > Are you going to have to buy everything needed to build this project ? > > Yes, beside LCD. Ideally I would like to use PC/104 board, but it's too > expensive. > > > Do you have the experience to build and code something like this ? > > Very little experience in electronics, but I have some in coding in asm
and
> C/C++ on x86 and 8051. > > > How much is your time worth ?? > > I have plenty of time! >
I have none, so could You mail me some of that "time"? :-)
>> I have plenty of time! >> > > I have none, so could You mail me some of that "time"? :-)
If You pay for it... ;>
"Nastyd" <nastyd@fuckspam.o2.pl> wrote in message news:<c8o5b0$fvt$1@news.onet.pl>...
> > Do you have any microcontrollers available to you ?
Decoding mp3 with microcontrollers are not that easy, unless you have hardware assistance.
> > No. > > > Are you going to have to buy everything needed to build this project ? > > Yes, beside LCD. Ideally I would like to use PC/104 board, but it's too > expensive. >
Why would you need LCD to play mp3? I would just setup a playlist from a network server.
> > Do you have the experience to build and code something like this ? > > Very little experience in electronics, but I have some in coding in asm and > C/C++ on x86 and 8051.
If you must have a screen, the compaq internet appliance (IA1 or IA2) would be a good cheap box (<$100 on ebay) for this.
Then you would not mind trying out this: http://ia2.linnix.com
> Decoding mp3 with microcontrollers are not that easy, unless you have > hardware assistance.
Like what? Would 8051 + some hardware be enough?
> Why would you need LCD to play mp3? I would just setup a playlist > from a network server.
It should display what is currently playing and volume, but it isn't necessary. In future, I would like to control it with PDA connected to the network with 802.11b.
> If you must have a screen, the compaq internet appliance (IA1 or IA2) > would be a good cheap box (<$100 on ebay) for this.
No, I don't want a screen. It should be as small and cheap as possible. I want to place it in the kitchen and the bathroom.
Nastyd <nastyd@fuckspam.o2.pl> wrote:
> > Decoding mp3 with microcontrollers are not that easy, unless you have > > hardware assistance.
> Like what? > Would 8051 + some hardware be enough?
For a somewhat flexible interpretation of "some hardware": sure ;-) After all, you could hook up an 8051 to a 3 GHz PC and call that PC "some hardware", right? But, jest aside. Yes, there is dedicated hardware that is a good deal more energy-efficient than a general-purpose microprocessor at decoding MP3s. The German computer magazine c't was just recently running a project called BlueMP3. Sounds quite like what you're trying to do. They use a dedicated MP3 decoder chip called VLSI VS1001k. A pre-assembled board is still in the 90 EUR price range, though. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.