Forums

new members coming in AT91 family

Started by Fred* May 21, 2004
hello, just found this info about new family members in the Atmel ARM7
microcontrollers..
the AT91SAM7S look really great :
http://www.at91.com/www/products/flyer/smart_flyer.pdf


Fred* wrote:
> hello, just found this info about new family members in the Atmel ARM7 > microcontrollers.. > the AT91SAM7S look really great : > http://www.at91.com/www/products/flyer/smart_flyer.pdf
Yes, interesting family. Atmel are rather late to the party in single-chip ARM uC, but their AT91SAM7S32 is the smallest ARM I have seen - Philips already do 128KF/16KR-64KR, ARM-TQFP48 devices, but at 32KF/8KR, the Atmel price should push into 8 bit territory. -jg
"Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote in message
news:3Gwrc.3415$FN.361804@news02.tsnz.net...
> Fred* wrote: > > hello, just found this info about new family members in the Atmel ARM7 > > microcontrollers.. > > the AT91SAM7S look really great : > > http://www.at91.com/www/products/flyer/smart_flyer.pdf > > Yes, interesting family. Atmel are rather late to the party in > single-chip ARM uC, but their AT91SAM7S32 is the smallest ARM I have > seen - Philips already do 128KF/16KR-64KR, ARM-TQFP48 devices, > but at 32KF/8KR, the Atmel price should push into 8 bit territory. > -jg >
ARM becomes popular, also Analog Devices has announced about ARM7 family ADuC702x. http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/563538451ADuC7020_1_2_prc.pdf Soon it might be really hard to select the right ARM controller for your project. r.
"Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> a &#2013265929;crit dans le message de
news:3Gwrc.3415$FN.361804@news02.tsnz.net...
> Yes, interesting family. Atmel are rather late to the party in > single-chip ARM uC, but their AT91SAM7S32 is the smallest ARM I have > seen - Philips already do 128KF/16KR-64KR, ARM-TQFP48 devices, > but at 32KF/8KR, the Atmel price should push into 8 bit territory. > -jg
yes but I ask for cotation for Philips part 2 month ago for my society (to Philips distributors in France), and I still didn't receive any reply.. just two phone call for asking more info and telling me I gonna have an answer soon and since no news.. so if I had to ask many times and wait several month only to have a cotation, I don't see how I can work with Philips part.. as that's only for new designs for the end of this year, I think I will wait for the Atmel SAM7S family.
fred* wrote:

> "Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> a &#2013265929;crit dans le message de > news:3Gwrc.3415$FN.361804@news02.tsnz.net... > >> Yes, interesting family. Atmel are rather late to the party in >>single-chip ARM uC, but their AT91SAM7S32 is the smallest ARM I have >>seen - Philips already do 128KF/16KR-64KR, ARM-TQFP48 devices, >>but at 32KF/8KR, the Atmel price should push into 8 bit territory. >> -jg > > > yes but I ask for cotation for Philips part 2 month ago for my society (to Philips distributors in > France), and I still didn't receive any reply.. > just two phone call for asking more info and telling me I gonna have an answer soon and since no > news.. > so if I had to ask many times and wait several month only to have a cotation, I don't see how I can > work with Philips part.. > > as that's only for new designs for the end of this year, I think I will wait for the Atmel SAM7S > family.
Depends on the variant - plus all new silicon needs caution in new designs. I have an Atmel AT89S8253 data sheet dated July 2003, but still cannot get prices... These Philips variants show ExSTOCK at Marshalls, and 6 week general leadtimes : LPC2104BBD48-S 128K FL/16K RAM/2 UART/I2C/SPI MOQ 250 @ $4.9558 LPC2105BBD48-S 128K FL/32K RAM/2 UART/I2C/SPI MOQ 250 @ $5.7779 LPC2106BBD48-S 128K FL/64K RAM/2 UART/I2C/SPI MOQ 250 @ $7.7000 Some LPC22xx variants show 16 week leadtimes, no stock. If they play on the same price curve, the 32KF/8KR Atmel device should be interesting. -jg
"Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> a &#2013265929;crit dans le message de
news:vx8sc.3679$FN.390649@news02.tsnz.net...
> fred* wrote: > ... > These Philips variants show ExSTOCK at Marshalls, and 6 week general > leadtimes : > LPC2104BBD48-S 128K FL/16K RAM/2 UART/I2C/SPI MOQ 250 @ $4.9558 > LPC2105BBD48-S 128K FL/32K RAM/2 UART/I2C/SPI MOQ 250 @ $5.7779 > LPC2106BBD48-S 128K FL/64K RAM/2 UART/I2C/SPI MOQ 250 @ $7.7000 > Some LPC22xx variants show 16 week leadtimes, no stock. > > If they play on the same price curve, the 32KF/8KR Atmel device should > be interesting. > -jg
Thanks.. I manage to find prices on different websites (outside France), but I just was thinking that the official French distributors pointed on Philips website will give me an answer.. I have such strange ideas sometimes. ;-)
"Fred*" <tmp@mail.com> wrote in message news:<c8s554$fe8$1@news-reader1.wanadoo.fr>...
> "Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> a &#2013265929;crit dans le message de > news:vx8sc.3679$FN.390649@news02.tsnz.net... > > fred* wrote: > > ... > > These Philips variants show ExSTOCK at Marshalls, and 6 week general > > leadtimes : > > LPC2104BBD48-S 128K FL/16K RAM/2 UART/I2C/SPI MOQ 250 @ $4.9558 > > LPC2105BBD48-S 128K FL/32K RAM/2 UART/I2C/SPI MOQ 250 @ $5.7779 > > LPC2106BBD48-S 128K FL/64K RAM/2 UART/I2C/SPI MOQ 250 @ $7.7000 > > Some LPC22xx variants show 16 week leadtimes, no stock. > > > > If they play on the same price curve, the 32KF/8KR Atmel device should > > be interesting. > > -jg > > Thanks.. > I manage to find prices on different websites (outside France), but I just > was thinking that the official French distributors pointed on Philips > website will give me an answer.. I have such strange ideas sometimes. ;-)
Before you go with your local Philips distributor you think again... I'll say that Philips just have very twisted marketing team somewhere in the netherlands. In the age of Internet these guys are trying to keep different price levels at different regions which are sometimes with x2 and more price difference. We bought our first 50 pcs (quote was flat 50-250 pcs) LPC2106 at EUR 12.50/$15.50 and first quote was even EUR 14.00/ea though Silica which appears to be the only Philips distributor for our region, then we saw that some components web stores in Russia have retail price of $13 for the same chips in 1 off quantities. brief search on www.findchips.com showed $9.95 stock in Future Active where we bough the next few 250 pcs lots from. Then Silica sales manager warned us that since we don't buy the uC from them ("the official distributor") we would not get any support nor samples on Philips new products. In matter of fact we had problem with our first lot of uC which latched up in some power up conditions. I posted question on Philips web technical form about the problem - but never got any reply, fortunately there is LPC2000 Yahoo group which is quite active and with lot of very responsive and friendly peoples where you can get really good advises. As we do PCB assembly too I was very puzzled to see the price on LPC2106 in the bill of materials on recent customer of ours - they buy at $5.00! It's shame that Philips doens't provide adeqate support and Philips marketing practices are abusing their customers, as LPC2xxx are really easy to use and nice parts. Best regards Tsvetan --- PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb (http://www.olimex.com/pcb) PCB any volume assembly (http://www.olimex.com/pcb/protoa.html) Development boards for ARM, AVR, PIC, and MSP430 (http://www.olimex.com/dev)
Tsvetan Usunov wrote:
> > "Fred*" <tmp@mail.com> wrote in message news:<c8s554$fe8$1@news-reader1.wanadoo.fr>... > > Before you go with your local Philips distributor you think again... > I'll say that Philips just have very twisted marketing team somewhere > in the netherlands. In the age of Internet these guys are trying to > keep different price levels at different regions which are sometimes > with x2 and more price difference.
...snip...
> It's shame that Philips doens't provide adeqate support and Philips > marketing practices are abusing their customers, as LPC2xxx are really > easy to use and nice parts.
Philips is not the only maker of such devices. You can get OKI ARM CPUs for under $10 in 10's or 100's. I believe the Analog Devices parts are priced right as well. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Tsvetan Usunov wrote:
> "Fred*" <tmp@mail.com> wrote in message news:<c8s554$fe8$1@news-reader1.wanadoo.fr>... > >>"Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> a &#2013265929;crit dans le message de >>news:vx8sc.3679$FN.390649@news02.tsnz.net... >> >>>fred* wrote: >>>... >>>These Philips variants show ExSTOCK at Marshalls, and 6 week general >>>leadtimes : >>>LPC2104BBD48-S 128K FL/16K RAM/2 UART/I2C/SPI MOQ 250 @ $4.9558 >>>LPC2105BBD48-S 128K FL/32K RAM/2 UART/I2C/SPI MOQ 250 @ $5.7779 >>>LPC2106BBD48-S 128K FL/64K RAM/2 UART/I2C/SPI MOQ 250 @ $7.7000 >>>Some LPC22xx variants show 16 week leadtimes, no stock. >>> >>>If they play on the same price curve, the 32KF/8KR Atmel device should >>>be interesting. >>>-jg >> >>Thanks.. >>I manage to find prices on different websites (outside France), but I just >>was thinking that the official French distributors pointed on Philips >>website will give me an answer.. I have such strange ideas sometimes. ;-) > > > Before you go with your local Philips distributor you think again... > I'll say that Philips just have very twisted marketing team somewhere > in the netherlands. In the age of Internet these guys are trying to > keep different price levels at different regions which are sometimes > with x2 and more price difference.
How exactly do you imagine they do that ? Distis set their own low volume prices, not the IC vendor
> We bought our first 50 pcs (quote was flat 50-250 pcs) LPC2106 at EUR > 12.50/$15.50 and first quote was even EUR 14.00/ea though Silica which > appears to be the only Philips distributor for our region, then we saw > that some components web stores in Russia have retail price of $13 for > the same chips in 1 off quantities. brief search on www.findchips.com > showed $9.95 stock in Future Active where we bough the next few 250 > pcs lots from. Then Silica sales manager warned us that since we don't > buy the uC from them ("the official distributor") we would not get any > support nor samples on Philips new products. In matter of fact we had > problem with our first lot of uC which latched up in some power up > conditions. I posted question on Philips web technical form about the > problem - but never got any reply, fortunately there is LPC2000 Yahoo > group which is quite active and with lot of very responsive and > friendly peoples where you can get really good advises. > As we do PCB assembly too I was very puzzled to see the price on > LPC2106 in the bill of materials on recent customer of ours - they buy > at $5.00! > > It's shame that Philips doens't provide adeqate support and Philips > marketing practices are abusing their customers, as LPC2xxx are really > easy to use and nice parts.
What you are seeing is not some conspiracy by Philips, but an artifact of Disti pricing. It is common for some Distis to set a promotional price for new devices, to encourage design wins - and a simple way to do this, is to sell low volumes at the 5-10K price point. Other distis follow the Farnell/Digikey price models, and price low volumes according to handling costs. Perhaps it needs a better model, of a unit price, plus separate invoice/packing/tracking handling charge What is good, is the trend by many of the bigger players, to put price-guides on their web sites. Natsemi, Fairchild, Philips, TI, Analog Devices are all now doing this. TI even include a production schedule, which is impressive info indeed ( and I like the way they demure to simply "> 10K", so the competition do not get too much free information :) -jg
> Philips is not the only maker of such devices. You can get OKI ARM CPUs > for under $10 in 10's or 100's. I believe the Analog Devices parts are > priced right as well. >
OKI seems to be completely out of this business, I asked samples through our local OKI distributor as they appear as alternative to LPCs but didn't hear back nothing for more than four months, so I believe these guys just don't have any stock or don't care for small customers. Where did you buy yours OKI ARMs? Best regards Tsvetan --- PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb (http://www.olimex.com/pcb) PCB any volume assembly (http://www.olimex.com/pcb/protoa.html) Development boards for ARM, AVR, PIC, and MSP430 (http://www.olimex.com/dev)