What about the motorola microcontroller?

Started by Bruce Sam January 12, 2005
Is it good to learn or to use.What general factor we should consider
if I we want to use it? I'm just newbie in microcontroller and have a
very great interesting in it.

>Subject: What about the motorola microcontroller? >From: "Bruce Sam" persevreman@yahoo.com.cn >Date: 12/01/2005 08:56 GMT Standard Time >Message-id: <1105520219.819947.256160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> > >Is it good to learn or to use.What general factor we should consider >if I we want to use it? I'm just newbie in microcontroller and have a >very great interesting in it. >
Hi, the trick is to have the application first, then choose a micro that fits the bill.
"CBarn24050" <cbarn24050@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Subject: What about the motorola microcontroller? > >From: "Bruce Sam" persevreman@yahoo.com.cn > >Date: 12/01/2005 08:56 GMT Standard Time > >Message-id: <1105520219.819947.256160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> > > > >Is it good to learn or to use.What general factor we should consider > >if I we want to use it? I'm just newbie in microcontroller and have a > >very great interesting in it. > > > > Hi, the trick is to have the application first, then choose a micro that
fits
> the bill.
That all depends on numbers. If low volume then learning curves are such a generic well featured micro would be a good choice. The trouble with most Motorola micros is that they have so much historical garbage with them I can't really recommend them for a newbie. Also what's the budget for a compiler and/or debug tool? If on the very cheap then have a look at the SDCC compiler. It caters for many of the available micros.
CBarn24050 wrote:

>>Subject: What about the motorola microcontroller? >>From: "Bruce Sam" persevreman@yahoo.com.cn >>Date: 12/01/2005 08:56 GMT Standard Time >>Message-id: <1105520219.819947.256160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> >> >>Is it good to learn or to use.What general factor we should consider >>if I we want to use it? I'm just newbie in microcontroller and have a >>very great interesting in it. >> > > Hi, the trick is to have the application first, then choose a micro that fits > the bill.
Not for learning. For learning choose a popular one, such as PIC & AVR Rene
"Fred" <Fred@nospam.com> schreef in bericht
> > The trouble with most Motorola micros is that they have so much historical > garbage with them I can't really recommend them for a newbie. >
I beg to differ. The ease with which you get your application together depends largely on the development environment. I'm quite charmed by Metrowerks Codewarrior for HC08 in combination with Processor Expert. The latter shields off most of the intricacies that come with initializing the various peripherals. I'm aware that there's a performance penalty to pay, but that outweighs the speed with which you get the app up and running. At a later stage you can always delve into the nitty-gritty if you need (want). As to the 'historical garbage' , that's a purely subjective judgement. The application determines the MCU. It all comes down to 'good tools make good products'. Have fun Waldemar
I want to use it in automotive.But I am unknown with the motorola MCU.

Use what your friends and peers use.That way you have local 'hands on' help
available that can actually see what you're doing. The Web may be great at
some things but hands on isn't one of them.
As far as the Motorola chips, just be sure you can GET the parts! I got
screwed twice by them ( hc705 and hc11 series) a long time ago went to
Microchip PIC series and never looked back. PICs allowed me to retire
early( 45) so I am partial to them.
Whatever you choose, stick with it. Going to the 'latest and greatest' isn't
the best approach. Learn how to use what you have.
JAY

Now, Freescale let you order samples of their chips, even microcontroller
like 68HC908.

--
---

Yvan
http://www.ybdesign.fr

j.b. miller <invalidjbmiller@cogeco.ca> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message :
EPaFd.16464$Y_4.2048825@read2.cgocable.net...
> Use what your friends and peers use.That way you have local 'hands on'
help
> available that can actually see what you're doing. The Web may be great at > some things but hands on isn't one of them. > As far as the Motorola chips, just be sure you can GET the parts! I got > screwed twice by them ( hc705 and hc11 series) a long time ago went to > Microchip PIC series and never looked back. PICs allowed me to retire > early( 45) so I am partial to them. > Whatever you choose, stick with it. Going to the 'latest and greatest'
isn't
> the best approach. Learn how to use what you have. > JAY > > >
Hello Jay,

>... PICs allowed me to retire early( 45) so I am partial to them. > >
Wow. How did you do that? Could you elaborate a little without breaking any confidentiality? Besides the business aspects, how did you determine how much is enough to retire on? You see all those over-simplified examples in the financial advice columns of newspapers but not really much in terms of detailed stories about how somebody actually did it. With respect to the topic, despite being used to the standard C51 families I am beginning to get my hands dirty with the MSP430. Bought the tools and will start soon. I found this to be the most intriguing uC because of its low power capabilities and the sheer volume of variants. Seems like the MSP is here to stay. My only gripe is that it is kind of tough to find enough information about nitty gritty hardware details like the DCO or transistor level schematics for the ports, and since I am a hardware guy that would be important. So far they really don't have an available device in the 'well under $1' class but hopefully that will change. Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
> With respect to the topic, despite being used to the standard C51 > families I am beginning to get my hands dirty with the MSP430. Bought > the tools and will start soon. I found this to be the most intriguing uC > because of its low power capabilities and the sheer volume of variants. > Seems like the MSP is here to stay. My only gripe is that it is kind of > tough to find enough information about nitty gritty hardware details > like the DCO or transistor level schematics for the ports, and since I > am a hardware guy that would be important. So far they really don't have > an available device in the 'well under $1' class but hopefully that will > change. > > Regards, Joerg > > http://www.analogconsultants.com
Or You could try the AVR ;-) Plenty of low cost chips around and there will be quite a few new ones coming this year. 8,14 and 20 pin devices in 1,2,4 and 8 kB sizes.. -- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.