What about the motorola microcontroller?

Started by Bruce Sam January 12, 2005
"WaldemarIII" <bleek004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Fred" <Fred@nospam.com> schreef in bericht > news:41e4fa29$0$31430$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk... > > > > The trouble with most Motorola micros is that they have so much
historical
> > garbage with them I can't really recommend them for a newbie. > > > > I beg to differ. The ease with which you get your application > together depends largely on the development environment. > I'm quite charmed by Metrowerks Codewarrior for HC08 > in combination with Processor Expert. The latter shields off > most of the intricacies that come with initializing the various > peripherals. I'm aware that there's a performance penalty to > pay, but that outweighs the speed with which you get the app > up and running. At a later stage you can always delve into the > nitty-gritty if you need (want). > As to the 'historical garbage' , that's a purely subjective > judgement. The application determines the MCU. It all comes > down to 'good tools make good products'. > > Have fun > > Waldemar > >
We are talking many thousands of pounds for the system you describe. Whilst long term economic sense I'm not sure if this sort of expenditure is likely for a newbie. For a starter on a limited budget the Rabbit may be perfectly adequate. The Motorola range of micro has a lot of clutter in its architecture normally unseen in other devices. Yes a good development environment will mask all of this as you say but I don't feel it's an ideal situation.