Barometric pressure and rain gauges

Started by Neil Bradley April 24, 2004

... snip ...
Stick finger in mouth, extract, and hold up. Wind is coming from cool side, and coolness is a relative measure of wind speed. Calibration to local conditions is needed :-) -- Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@worldnet.att.net) Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems. <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!
For a professional solution, go to <http://www.vaisala.com/>, pick wind sensing and look for WS425. Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi
CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> writes:
> "Everett M. Greene" wrote: > > > .... snip ... > > > > While we're on the subject, is there a good non-mechanical > > method for measuring wind speed? > > Stick finger in mouth, extract, and hold up. Wind is coming from > cool side, and coolness is a relative measure of wind speed. > Calibration to local conditions is needed :-)
You forgot to mention the Wyoming wind gauge -- a log chain hanging from a tree limb. You count the number of links standing straight out. NCAR may want to consider the chain method. They once lost their anemometer after seeing the velocity go off scale at 125 MPH in one of Boulder's "breezes". [Hurricanes?!? Hurricanes are for wimps!]
I'll refer to my earlier response: For a professional solution, go to <http://www.vaisala.com/>, pick wind sensing and look for WS425. Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi