starting out in embedded/real time systems

Started by Mr. Sparkle April 14, 2004
I have (just) completed a bachelor in electrical engineering.
I have no experience whatsoever in real time/embedded systems but I would
like to move towards this field (embedded control systems)

I have a good analog/digital electronics background, plus programming C/C++,
computer architecture, VHDL and FPGA, microcontrollers. I am also familiar
with general operating system concepts, so I am not a complete neophyte to
this field.

where should I start with my independent study?
How can I get practical experience at home? (other than downloading QNX)
Can you reccomend any good books for real-time systems and embedded systems,
at both hardware and software levels ?

what other fields should I be familiar with, for embedded systems
development? (for example, networking)

>where should I start with my independent study? >How can I get practical experience at home? (other than downloading QNX)
You can get the book "MicroC/OS-II, Second Edition" by Labrosse. It explains an RTOS and comes with a CDROM with the source code. Embedded systems cover a whole range of things. Real-time systems are a subset of embedded. Look around on Amazon.com for books on the subject. Getting books on networking would be a good idea. I see many embedded jobs in Silicon Valley that want some sort of networking knowledge like TCP/IP or ATM. Being connected to the Internet is a Big Thing and don't forget wireless - 802.11 or GSM. I'd also look into digital signal processing. Another thing to do is to look at all the different CPUs/MCUs to see what's available. There's a lot! It's a Big World!
http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/embedded_ethernet_internet_comp/index.shtml www.rabbitsemiconductor.com www.imaginetools.com
> what other fields should I be familiar with, for embedded systems > development? (for example, networking)
Mr.Sparkle,

Most of all I suggest to obtain an evaluation kit for your chosen uC and then
start building stuff. Usually comes with compilers and all that you need.

Regards, Joerg.

On my site is a Forthpage with a lot of info about the topic:

http://homeusers.brutele.be/VBeullens

"Mr. Sparkle" wrote:
> > I have (just) completed a bachelor in electrical engineering. > I have no experience whatsoever in real time/embedded systems but I would > like to move towards this field (embedded control systems) > > I have a good analog/digital electronics background, plus programming C/C++, > computer architecture, VHDL and FPGA, microcontrollers. I am also familiar > with general operating system concepts, so I am not a complete neophyte to > this field. > > where should I start with my independent study? > How can I get practical experience at home? (other than downloading QNX) > Can you reccomend any good books for real-time systems and embedded systems, > at both hardware and software levels ? > > what other fields should I be familiar with, for embedded systems > development? (for example, networking)
You will find articles about real-time and embedded software development at:

http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/

Examples of real-time and embedded system design can be found at:

http://www.eventhelix.com/ThoughtProjects/

Sandeep
--
http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
EventStudio 2.0 - Real-time and Embedded System Design CASE Tool