Tone Deafness

Started by Tim Wescott August 14, 2013
The White Walkers are coming! -- Gemaakt met Opera's revolutionaire e-mailprogramma: http://www.opera.com/mail/
On 08/14/2013 05:24 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
> Like a good percentage of human males, I'm partially color blind to green > and red. In my case, it's enough that I can't tell the difference > between a green or a red LED -- so a piece of equipment that depends on > the operator being able to see the color of a bi-color LED is totally > useless to me. > > Needless to say, this is irritating. > > Does anyone on the group know how many people are really, truly tone > deaf? I don't just mean unable to hear when they're playing out of tune, > but people who are unable to tell the difference between a "beep" and a > "boop" when it's coming out of a piece of electronic equipment? > > I'm thinking of communicating status via a beeper, and for obvious > reasons I don't want to do the same "bicolor LED" crap to someone, only > with sound. >
Sorry for being so late to the thread. About 2 weeks ago, something happened to my right ear. I had been shooting earlier, but I was wearing plugs and shooting lighter guns, so i don't think that was it. I had been swimming a *very* little. Barely got my hair wet. Anyway, tones in my right ear became frequency shifted, and they were louder than the right ear. Things sounded *weird*. This condition declined over about 4 days. Had this condition been permanent, different tones of warning beepers would have been maybe a little useful at best. I have heard that cochlear implants produce weird tones.
On 08/25/2013 11:49 PM, bbhack wrote:
> On 08/14/2013 05:24 PM, Tim Wescott wrote: >> Like a good percentage of human males, I'm partially color blind to green >> and red. In my case, it's enough that I can't tell the difference >> between a green or a red LED -- so a piece of equipment that depends on >> the operator being able to see the color of a bi-color LED is totally >> useless to me. >> >> Needless to say, this is irritating. >> >> Does anyone on the group know how many people are really, truly tone >> deaf? I don't just mean unable to hear when they're playing out of tune, >> but people who are unable to tell the difference between a "beep" and a >> "boop" when it's coming out of a piece of electronic equipment? >> >> I'm thinking of communicating status via a beeper, and for obvious >> reasons I don't want to do the same "bicolor LED" crap to someone, only >> with sound. >> > > Sorry for being so late to the thread. About 2 weeks ago, something > happened to my right ear. I had been shooting earlier, but I was wearing > plugs and shooting lighter guns, so i don't think that was it. I had > been swimming a *very* little. Barely got my hair wet. > > Anyway, tones in my right ear became frequency shifted, and they were > louder than the
left
> ear. Things sounded *weird*. This condition > declined over about 4 days. > > Had this condition been permanent, different tones of warning beepers > would have been maybe a little useful at best. I have heard that > cochlear implants produce weird tones. > > >
On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Aug 2013 23:49:09 -0500) it happened bbhack
<bbhack@gmail.com> wrote in <a7BSt.277397$Dd5.202739@fx09.iad>:

>Anyway, tones in my right ear became frequency shifted, and they were >louder than the right ear.
Yes that IS a dillemma. ;-)
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 23:49:09 -0500, bbhack wrote:

> Sorry for being so late to the thread. About 2 weeks ago, something > happened to my right ear. I had been shooting earlier, but I was wearing > plugs and shooting lighter guns, so i don't think that was it. I had > been swimming a *very* little. Barely got my hair wet. > > Anyway, tones in my right ear became frequency shifted, and they were > louder than the right ear. Things sounded *weird*. This condition > declined over about 4 days. > > Had this condition been permanent, different tones of warning beepers > would have been maybe a little useful at best. I have heard that > cochlear implants produce weird tones. >
That sounds like a group cell death in the auditory ganglion and subsequent re-routing. Rather uncommon but not unheard of (incidental pun acknowledged). The nervous system is a marvelous thing. ?-)
In comp.arch.embedded Tim Williams <tmoranwms@charter.net> wrote:

> - An extra second between blinks indicates the second digit (thus > expressing numbers 11-99 except whole multiples of 10, since there's no > zero)
Strange, I would code "0" as ten pulses. AW

Here you can find even more examples: http://listverse.com/2008/02/29/top-10-incredible-sound-illusions/ AW
In comp.arch.embedded Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote:

> If it's already lit for that minor problem, it can't alert you > to more important things.
Suzuki Hayabusa (a motorcycle) has two levels of "check engine" (actually "FI") importance. When the "FI" LED lights steady, it's a minor problem and you can ride, ECU just substituted the signal from a failed sensor with a reasonable constant. When it flashes, it's fatal and engine is stopped. AW
In comp.arch.embedded Charlie E. <edmondson@ieee.org> wrote:

> Even better is my car. When it hits around an eighth of a tank, it > 'stutters', i.e. it reduces the throttle for a few moments,
Are you sure that it's a firmware feature and not just fuel pressure issue? AW
"Adam Wysocki" <gof@somewhere.invalid> wrote in message
> In comp.arch.embedded Tim Williams <tmoranwms@charter.net> wrote: > >> - An extra second between blinks indicates the second digit (thus >> expressing numbers 11-99 except whole multiples of 10, since there's no >> zero) > > Strange, I would code "0" as ten pulses.
Yes, that would be logical. Didn't matter in the present case, as codes were pairs of digits, each enumerating a condition, not together as an actual numerical quantity. As I recall, the first digit was subsystem (ECU, ABS, etc..), second identifies what (oxygen sensor, ignition, etc..). If one system had more than 9 error codes, dunno... they might've just keep blinking it? Of course, most systems had only a few codes each, so most of the numbers that could be expressed weren't needed. Tim -- Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference