Atmel Mega128 Tools

Started by Unknown January 27, 2004
Hi!

Richard F. Man wrote:

>> versions prior to 4.08 can not do this (They will only show you the >> assembler code your compiler generated). >> > > "your" compiler here must refer only to GCCAVR as AVR Studio can debug at > C source level, at least with ICCAVR and IAR generated code at C source > level since "forever." >
Sorry, I didn't know that. -- If you see light at the end of the wormhole it is most likely a photon torpedo.
yes the gcc port for avr is available . called avr-gcc.
its said to be good. and support is available for the large development
community
"Sebastian Schildt" <sebastian@frozenlight.de> wrote in message
> Hi! > > Richard F. Man wrote: > > > >> versions prior to 4.08 can not do this (They will only show you the > >> assembler code your compiler generated). > >> > > > > "your" compiler here must refer only to GCCAVR as AVR Studio can debug
at
> > C source level, at least with ICCAVR and IAR generated code at C source > > level since "forever." > > > > Sorry, I didn't know that. > > -- > If you see light at the end of the wormhole it is most likely a photon > torpedo.
Well if the original question is how do I get a good cheap C
environment for Mega128 development?....

I think the best thing to do is to call your local IAR office with
your educational use proof to hand -80% or more discount to
educational users you see.

Also -remeber the Mega128 has a nifty JTAG debug port -IAR's tools for
example can set brakpoints from the editor window that follow through
right into the target Mega128

Jason Moore CEng
"Jason Moore" <jason_ceng@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Well if the original question is how do I get a good cheap C > environment for Mega128 development?.... > > I think the best thing to do is to call your local IAR office with > your educational use proof to hand -80% or more discount to > educational users you see. > > Also -remeber the Mega128 has a nifty JTAG debug port -IAR's tools for > example can set brakpoints from the editor window that follow through > right into the target Mega128 >
That's very misleading - the jtag port on the Megas has nothing whatsoever to do with IAR. Every debugger software for the AVR which can use the jtag ice (such as IAR's debugger, or the free standard AVR Studio, or the free gdb/insight debugger, and most other AVR debuggers) will be able to use the jtag debugging features such as breakpoints. If you want to argue that IAR's debugger software is more powerful, or more user-friendly, or whatever, then go ahead - I haven't used it on the AVR, so I can't comment. But don't claim credit for features of the chip itself !
> Jason Moore CEng
You forgot to mention here that you work for IAR, although to your great credit you did so on other posts (which is how I know).