Automotive temp MCU

Started by Ralph Malph January 25, 2004
"Spehro Pefhany
> > On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:57:39 PST, the renowned mojaveg@IWVISP.com > (Everett M. Greene) wrote: > > >Ralph Malph <noone@yahoo.com> writes: > >> So there seems to be some Motorola options, but they are no smaller than > >> the PIC as Motorola does not have the small packages at this time and > >> all the more cost effective parts (less Flash and RAM) also have too few > >> IOs. They don't seem to use any TSSOPs above 16 pins and they don't > >> have any QFNs listed at all that I can find in the Q1 '04 selection > >> guide. So without a smaller package, they would have to have a very low > >> price to be a better choice than the PIC. > > > >I'm baffled by all the postings I've seen on this thread. > >In one of them it was said that the application was instru- > >mentation for a locomotive, but there's an obsession with > >finding the physically smallest MCU possible; given the size > >of most railroad locomotives, it's hard to imagine size > >being particularly critical. > > > >It was not stated as to whether test instrumentation or > >permanent, operational instrumentation was meant, but if > >the former, it's hard to imagine a slight difference in > >price of an MCU being much of a factor; if the latter, > >given the multi-million dollar price of locomotives, a > >dollar or two difference in the price of an MCU is negligible. > > > >Another posting said something about wanting to monitor Vdd. > >This would seem to be a matter of trying to measure a voltage > >with the voltage being measured, regardless of how one goes > >about doing it. It's also hard to imagine a need to monitor > >Vdd (except for operating/fail) in any event. > > Sounds like a batter-powered instrument of some kind, maybe > specialized data logger.
Yes, many of the apps for this board are remotely located, running off batteries. The board shuts down and only has to power the RTC in this section of the board. When needed, it wakes up and runs the DSP application and returns to slumber. Some customers only need to run a couple of times a day for a few seconds. So the power of the sleep circuit can still be significant if it is too high.
oN 27-Jan-04, Jim Granville said:

> If you like the AVRs, imagine adding a register Frame pointer, and > some efficent direct memory opcodes, and you are close to a Z8
I used to be a Z8 fan, but the brain-damaged implementation of a UART was = a serious impediment. Did that get fixed on the way to the eZ8? The Super8 was a much better device, but they shot that one out from under = us a few years ago, and with almost no advance notice. That left me little = confidence in Zilog as a supplier. -- Bill Posted with XanaNews Version 1.16.1.4
"Ralph Malph" <noone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am looking at replacing several hardware chips with an MCU. I > considered this once before but was looking for a lot more in the way of > IO than I am now. Also, this time the MCU has to operate over the full > automotive temp range of -40 to +125C. I have looked at several > manufacturers web sites, but they typically don't include temperature > range in the guides. So I have to pick the dozen or so that are a > likely fit otherwise and then download every data sheet. > > I thought I might ask here for chips that anyone has used before that > would fit my needs. > > -40C to 125C range (of course) > ISP > 18 or more IOs (after accounting for ISP) > at least two outputs must drive LEDs at 20 mA > very little RAM and Flash size requirements, they just have to be there > the flash has to be writable by the MCU (or data EEPROM will do) > temperature measurement or ADC inputs > small package; TSSOP or QFN or very small QFP (like 48 TQFP) > low price, <$3 in 1k qty > easy to buy in 100's or 1000's >
> > Any others that I should look at? I bet there are tons of low cost > automotive 8051s.
I think that you can get some Atmel Flash 8051s (at least the T89C51CC01 CAN version) in full Automotive temp but I do not have the full list. Check with your local Atmel FAE. -- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> > "Ralph Malph" <noone@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:40134437.67D84AE4@yahoo.com... > > I am looking at replacing several hardware chips with an MCU. I > > considered this once before but was looking for a lot more in the way of > > IO than I am now. Also, this time the MCU has to operate over the full > > automotive temp range of -40 to +125C. I have looked at several > > manufacturers web sites, but they typically don't include temperature > > range in the guides. So I have to pick the dozen or so that are a > > likely fit otherwise and then download every data sheet. > > > > I thought I might ask here for chips that anyone has used before that > > would fit my needs. > > > > -40C to 125C range (of course) > > ISP > > 18 or more IOs (after accounting for ISP) > > at least two outputs must drive LEDs at 20 mA > > very little RAM and Flash size requirements, they just have to be there > > the flash has to be writable by the MCU (or data EEPROM will do) > > temperature measurement or ADC inputs > > small package; TSSOP or QFN or very small QFP (like 48 TQFP) > > low price, <$3 in 1k qty > > easy to buy in 100's or 1000's > > > > > > > Any others that I should look at? I bet there are tons of low cost > > automotive 8051s. > > I think that you can get some Atmel Flash 8051s (at least the T89C51CC01 CAN > version) > in full Automotive temp but I do not have the full list. > Check with your local Atmel FAE.
I sent an email to Dan Ujvari, but I have not received a reply. Of the 8051s I saw on the Atmel site, they were not very well suited to this app.
Since this chestnut is a common one, I did see Atmel have posted new data on their ATAM893-J http://www.atmel.com/dyn/general/tech_doc.asp?doc_id=7529 This has both wide Vcc (1.8-6.5V) and Wide Temp (-40'C..+125'C) and good low power operations of 32Khz clock engine (< 1uA). Would make a good extremes system power sequencer / wdog / general health monitor... -jg
"Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> skrev i meddelandet
> Ralph Malph wrote: > > I am looking at replacing several hardware chips with an MCU. I > > considered this once before but was looking for a lot more in the way of > > IO than I am now. Also, this time the MCU has to operate over the full > > automotive temp range of -40 to +125C. > > Since this chestnut is a common one, I did see Atmel have > posted new data on their ATAM893-J > http://www.atmel.com/dyn/general/tech_doc.asp?doc_id=7529 > > This has both wide Vcc (1.8-6.5V) and Wide Temp (-40'C..+125'C) > and good low power operations of 32Khz clock engine (< 1uA). > Would make a good extremes system power sequencer / wdog / > general health monitor... > -jg
The AT89C51CC01 is also coming in Automotive temp. -- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
Jim Granville wrote:
> > Ralph Malph wrote: > > I am looking at replacing several hardware chips with an MCU. I > > considered this once before but was looking for a lot more in the way of > > IO than I am now. Also, this time the MCU has to operate over the full > > automotive temp range of -40 to +125C. > > Since this chestnut is a common one, I did see Atmel have > posted new data on their ATAM893-J > http://www.atmel.com/dyn/general/tech_doc.asp?doc_id=7529 > > This has both wide Vcc (1.8-6.5V) and Wide Temp (-40'C..+125'C) > and good low power operations of 32Khz clock engine (< 1uA). > Would make a good extremes system power sequencer / wdog / > general health monitor...
This is of interest to me. I looked at this data sheet and could not find any significant differences to the ATAM893-V. Both are wide temp and the rest seems to be the same except for notes about how the -J version has a 5% faster clock (on the average) compared to the ROM parts and the -J version the lack of selectable high drive outputs on the -J version, again compared to the ROM versions, not the -V. Anyone see a significant difference between the -J and the -V versions? Did I miss something big? -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX