i2c galvanic isolation

Started by Henry December 19, 2003
rickman wrote:
> Tauno Voipio wrote: > >
... snip ...
> [...]
Simplify :-) You want a one wire path that detects collisions, can be 'wire or' connected, opto-isolated, etc. Go back further than open collectors and, presto: Current loop. Think mark/space. I have driven 20 mA current loops, opto-isolated, through literally miles of extremely noisy environments, surrounded by elevators, diathermy, x-rays, you name it. -- Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@worldnet.att.net) Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems. <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!

Take look at http://www.esacademy.com/faq/i2c/q_and_a/faq/i2cqa3.htm. This circuit should do the job (although I haven't tested it). j.
"Jacek R. Radzikowski" <jacek+maqmba@spamer.die.die.die.piranet.org> wrote
in message news:bs4ltb$mki$1@www.itl.waw.pl...
Did you notice that there is a severe speed restriction? The circuit does not go over 10 kHz, but the bus is 100 kHz or faster. Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi
Tauno Voipio wrote:
> > "Jacek R. Radzikowski" <jacek+maqmba@spamer.die.die.die.piranet.org> wrote > in message news:bs4ltb$mki$1@www.itl.waw.pl... > > Tauno Voipio <tauno.voipio@iki.fi.spambait_remove.invalid> wrote: > > > > > "Henry" <otc_friend@gmx.net> wrote in message > > > news:3fe373ce_1@news.arcor-ip.de... > > >> Hi! > > >> I need a i2c bus isolation with optocouplers or another technology. > Google > > >> doesn't know interesting hits. Any hints other than the Philips > solution > > >> with i2c bus drivers and optocouplers? An integrated solution as a > cheap > > >> sockable DIP or SMD device would be great. > > >> I wonder that none of the big semiconductor producers is interested > > >> producing such a device many people need. Hey marketing engineer, where > > > are > > >> you?? > > >> Greetings - > > >> Henry > > > > > Did you just ask for isolation of Maxim/Dallas single-wire bus? > > > > > The basic problem is the same: the bus is essentially an open-drain > > > bidirectional bus, but the available isolators are unidirectional. You > need > > > to bridge both the clock and the data line with two isloators each, one > for > > > each direction. To prvent inventing an isolating flip-flop, the isolator > has > > > to understand pretty deeply the bus protocol to select the direction > > > properly. The contention mechanisms in I2C make this a challenging > > > situation. > > > > Take look at http://www.esacademy.com/faq/i2c/q_and_a/faq/i2cqa3.htm. > > This circuit should do the job (although I haven't tested it). > > > > Did you notice that there is a severe speed restriction? > > The circuit does not go over 10 kHz, but the bus is 100 kHz or faster.
I don't see any obvious reason why this circuit won't work at higher speeds than 10kHz. But I do see a problem which would result in a glitch when both sides are driving the bus and one side releases. As the released side rises, it has to reach a voltage of around 3.4 volts before the opto cuts off enough to let the other side turn on to drive back. This will be a short glitch and it is likely that the side doing the release will not be watching. But if any transactions are edge detected, this is likely to cause a false edge. Perhaps this has something to do with the speed limitation? -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
We speak about i2c ! Having the benefit of directly interface to a mass of
different chips. Current loops is another field.

Surely.
The Philips 82B96 does isolation for i2c with a little help. What you
describe is more like Ethernet or other "networks".
You can directly add chips to the bus and that is the benefit of i2c.

Hi!
I feel a strong need for a i2c newsgroup, webpage or yahoo group. Exists?
All the webpages I know a very limited in parts to the subject i2c.

82B96 background info from Philips is here (interesting as they show other
vendors circuits and historical info)
http://my.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat/other/mcu/notes_82b96.pdf
Yes, I think the 82B96 doesn't know anything about the protocol. As I
understand it the device works by sensing a differential voltage between
external and internal signal. The Philips block diagram shows voltage
sources of 0.6 volts in-line (= diodes?).

I didn't notice any further discussion to the subject but would like that!!
Hopefully it goes on ...

Henry <otc_friend@gmx.net> wrote:
> I didn't notice any further discussion to the subject but would like that!!
Ask new question, then ;-) The old ones seem to be considered settled by everybody else. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
Difficult to ask a unknown question :)

Memfault Beyond the Launch