802.11b Wireless Chip?

Started by Clif February 6, 2005
"Pygmi" <bronco_castor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:wHqOd.285$Sx6.268@read3.inet.fi...
> I know that in Finland Digi Connect WiMe is around 150-160 EUR. > Digi Connect Me around 50-60 EUR > While WLAN adapters (PCMCIA/PCI/USB/...) are around 20 EUR.
That is not a fair comparison. First, numbers are smaller. Second, WiMe contains the entire TCP/IP stack and several servers in a small but powerfull micro, whereas with a PCMCIA/PCI/USB thingy the hosts CPU does all that.
> Does anyone know of reasonably priced alternatives to > Digi Connect WiMe??
Checkout the Lantronix WiPort. Similar thing, but somewhat cheaper. Meindert
"Meindert Sprang" <mhsprang@NOcustomSPAMware.nl> wrote in message
> "Pygmi" <bronco_castor@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:wHqOd.285$Sx6.268@read3.inet.fi... > > I know that in Finland Digi Connect WiMe is around 150-160 EUR. > > Digi Connect Me around 50-60 EUR > > While WLAN adapters (PCMCIA/PCI/USB/...) are around 20 EUR. > > That is not a fair comparison. First, numbers are smaller. Second, WiMe > contains the entire TCP/IP stack and several servers in a small but > powerfull micro, whereas with a PCMCIA/PCI/USB thingy the hosts CPU does
all
> that.
Ok, you are right about that. Not a fair comparison...
Seems to be a bit less expensive. My first hit with Google found http://www.gridconnect.com/wiport.html with 120 USD And hey, it says that "Serial Baud rates up to 230KMBaud" So, it seems to be targeted outside US as baud rates are not specified in mileBauds... ;-) Pygmi
Robert Lacoste wrote:
> If your target volume is under 10000 to 50000, then just buy standard Wifi > PCMCIA adapters (may be 20-25$ in volume). Using prism chipset based modules > is easier as source code for drivers is available from Linux, as a starting > point...
Its worth pointing out that many of the people who make the pcmcia cards and routers actually just use pcmcia cards in fancy packaging for everything. Also, there are compactflash and other small form factor wifi systems which are showing up. + Thumb drive sized USB.... There's plenty of options out there for pre-built systems. Myren