Good Hardware Tools

Started by Rick C October 30, 2020
On Mon, 04 Jan 2021 04:09:06 -0800, Rick C wrote:

> On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 4:03:54 AM UTC-5, Brett wrote: >> Mat Nieuwenhoven <mni...@zap.a2000.nl> wrote:
>> > Well, I've measured the fridge's energy use for 25 days. Extrapolated >> > to a year it used 118 kWh, let's say 130 because in summer our >> > kitchen is warmer.
>> Times 11 cents a kWh in Texas that&rsquo;s about 14 dollars a year if I have >> done the math right. Never going to be cost effective to replace. >> >> Can I assume no kids at home as that could multiply the result by four.
Indeed no kids at home normally. But the result doesn't get much higher even then. I saw a minor increase over the festive season when it was used much more.The cooler door bleeps if is it is open for longer than a short time (a minute or so).
>> > It ran 38% of the time. If I take freezer and cooler volume together >> > (330 liter), then it comes out to 0.39 kWh per liter per year. > This is a very small refrigerator, approx 11 cu ft. But even so, this > energy usage is very, very low, about 13.5 watts.
You mean on average over the year if it were running continuously? White- good equipment like a fridge or washing machine in the EU must be specified in kWh/year based on a prescribed use pattern. Our model is specified for 167 kWh/year. It was not even the most efficient in the catalog, there were other considerations too. It is this model without the no-frost: https://home.liebherr.com/en/deu/products/household-appliances/floor- mounted-appliances-for-households/freestanding-fridge-freezers/details/ cnp-4813_89392.html I guess for most households here this is upper middle class fridge/cooler with vertically stacked cool/freeze section. About 60 cm wide which is a standard here for kitchen cabinets. You can buy side-by-side freeze/ coolers, but they are much less efficient and not many people have the space for it. Those who want a large freezer frequently have a box-type (lid on top) freezer in the cellar of garden shed. Our kitchen is 250x250cm exactly, and I guess that is about normal for standard houses. But you don't really need much storage because the supermarkets are usually close (walking or bicycling distance). I guess if you buy things once a week for the whole week you'd need more. But if we have a three- course meal for 9 persons, indeed space is tight.
> When you open the > door and the light bulb comes on the energy use quadruples.
3.6 W according to my power meter. The light is a bright LED at the top front shining downwards, which illuminates the cooling section very well. But even on older fridges we had the bulb was only 5W or so.
> I believe > he already said his unit has no defrost cycle, so that
alone makes it > very different from 99.9% of the units sold in the US. The cooling section doesn't need one, because it's minimum temperature is + 1 centigrade, and like I wrote before, there is no air connection between freezing and cooling sections. We could get almost the same model with no-frost in the freezer section, but it used like 50% more energy, and that's not worth it for us. There's not much ice accumulating there anyway.
> Even so, I find the numbers to be surprising.
Energy efficiency is very important here. Most people would pay 23 eurocent/kWh . In test of consumer organizations energy use is a major point for any product. Cheaper models are usually worse on energy use per liter. I don't think there are double-door models that rely on airflow from freezing to cooling section. Mat Nieuwenhoven