IAR v/s KEIL for 8051

Started by Unknown June 30, 2005
Hi All,

I will be using 8051 based micro-controller for my project.
I want to choose C complier for it between Keil and IAR.
Anybody who has experience on these compilers please help me in doing this
and
share your experiences with these compilers. Let me also know any
benchmarks, comparisons
about the performances of these compilers.

Thank you.

Regards,
Shailendra

Keil is an welll-integrated toolkit.Now its name is uVersion 2.Once I
used SyncMOS 51 chipset to build a voice terminal. I think you can do
everything in Keil uVersion 2, coding, compiling, debugging, managing
your project file. There is one issue, when I use hardware emulator to
debug , I can't debug in source code level because all the source code
is invisible.

The performance of compiler, how to evaluate it? I think the code we
design decide the performances.Ineffective code causes poor
performance.

Maybe you can lookup 8051 microcontroller FAQ in www.faq.org, it
include detailed info.

Good luck

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:23:15 +0200, "Mehta Shailendrakumar"
<shailendrakumar.mehta@de.bosch.com> wrote:

>Hi All, > >I will be using 8051 based micro-controller for my project. >I want to choose C complier for it between Keil and IAR. >Anybody who has experience on these compilers please help me in doing this >and >share your experiences with these compilers. Let me also know any >benchmarks, comparisons >about the performances of these compilers.
I used a version of IAR back around 1990, and a version of Keil around 1999. Based on that experience, I'd lean towards Keil, if given the choice. However, both products have advanced in the intervening years, and I don't think you'll go much wrong by choosing either one. Regards, -=Dave -- Change is inevitable, progress is not.
"robbie chen" <robbiecn@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Keil is an welll-integrated toolkit.Now its name is uVersion 2.Once I > used SyncMOS 51 chipset to build a voice terminal. I think you can do > everything in Keil uVersion 2, coding, compiling, debugging, managing > your project file. There is one issue, when I use hardware emulator to > debug , I can't debug in source code level because all the source code > is invisible. > > The performance of compiler, how to evaluate it? I think the code we > design decide the performances.Ineffective code causes poor > performance. > > Maybe you can lookup 8051 microcontroller FAQ in www.faq.org, it > include detailed info. > > Good luck >
Keil is now uVision 3. I highly recommend it. The built-in simulator is fantastic. Scott
"Mehta Shailendrakumar" <shailendrakumar.mehta@de.bosch.com> wrote in
message news:da06l4$r72$1@ns2.fe.internet.bosch.com...
> Hi All, > > I will be using 8051 based micro-controller for my project. > I want to choose C complier for it between Keil and IAR. > Anybody who has experience on these compilers please help me in doing this > and > share your experiences with these compilers. Let me also know any > benchmarks, comparisons > about the performances of these compilers. > > Thank you. > > Regards, > Shailendra
Both are well thought of. IAR are notorious for restrictions such as; dongle required and a special code that takes a week to get, you don't buy the IAR compiler, you buy the right to use it ... meaning you can not resell it. Keil is much less restricted and has put out a quality product for many years.
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:19:52 GMT, bitmaster wrote:

> "Mehta Shailendrakumar" <shailendrakumar.mehta@de.bosch.com> wrote in > message news:da06l4$r72$1@ns2.fe.internet.bosch.com... >> Hi All, >> >> I will be using 8051 based micro-controller for my project. >> I want to choose C complier for it between Keil and IAR. >> Anybody who has experience on these compilers please help me in doing this >> and >> share your experiences with these compilers. Let me also know any >> benchmarks, comparisons >> about the performances of these compilers. >> >> Thank you. >> >> Regards, >> Shailendra > > Both are well thought of. IAR are notorious for restrictions > such as; dongle required and a special code that takes a week to get, > you don't buy the IAR compiler, you buy the right to use it ... meaning > you can not resell it. > > Keil is much less restricted and has put out a quality product for many > years.
I have used Keil for the past two years and am quite pleased with it. I recommend spending the extra bucks and getting the uV3 IDE as well. I used to use the Keil tool set with Silicon Labs' IDE and it didn't work as well. Bob
My Keil came with a dongle :-(

"bitmaster" <geek@micros.xxx> wrote in message
> > "Mehta Shailendrakumar" <shailendrakumar.mehta@de.bosch.com> wrote in > message news:da06l4$r72$1@ns2.fe.internet.bosch.com... >> Hi All, >> >> I will be using 8051 based micro-controller for my project. >> I want to choose C complier for it between Keil and IAR. >> Anybody who has experience on these compilers please help me in doing >> this >> and >> share your experiences with these compilers. Let me also know any >> benchmarks, comparisons >> about the performances of these compilers. >> >> Thank you. >> >> Regards, >> Shailendra > > Both are well thought of. IAR are notorious for restrictions > such as; dongle required and a special code that takes a week to get, > you don't buy the IAR compiler, you buy the right to use it ... meaning > you can not resell it. > > Keil is much less restricted and has put out a quality product for many > years. > > >
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 08:16:29 +0000 (UTC), "Bill Davy"
<Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote:

>My Keil came with a dongle :-(
Five or six years ago, when I was using Keil 5.5, it did not have any use prevention, er, I mean "copy protection", but I heard complaints on usenet about the European version being dongled. You are apparently in England. I don't know if the U.S. version is still dongle (and other impediment) -free, but if it is, that would be more than enough to recommend it above IAR, if IAR is dongled. Version 5.5 was more than "good enough," and I hear the newer versions are even better. Regards, -=Dave -- Change is inevitable, progress is not.
On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:41:25 GMT, Dave Hansen wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 08:16:29 +0000 (UTC), "Bill Davy" > <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote: > >>My Keil came with a dongle :-( > > Five or six years ago, when I was using Keil 5.5, it did not have any > use prevention, er, I mean "copy protection", but I heard complaints > on usenet about the European version being dongled. You are > apparently in England. > > I don't know if the U.S. version is still dongle (and other > impediment) -free, but if it is, that would be more than enough to > recommend it above IAR, if IAR is dongled. Version 5.5 was more than > "good enough," and I hear the newer versions are even better. > > Regards, > > -=Dave
I have version 7.50 (US) and there is no dongle or other impedimentia. Very pleased with it, too... Bob
iddw@hotmail.com (Dave Hansen) wrote in news:42c545ae.670161500
@news.aioe.org:

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 08:16:29 +0000 (UTC), "Bill Davy" > <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote: > >>My Keil came with a dongle :-( > > Five or six years ago, when I was using Keil 5.5, it did not have any > use prevention, er, I mean "copy protection", but I heard complaints > on usenet about the European version being dongled. You are > apparently in England. > > I don't know if the U.S. version is still dongle (and other > impediment) -free, but if it is, that would be more than enough to > recommend it above IAR, if IAR is dongled. Version 5.5 was more than > "good enough," and I hear the newer versions are even better.
The US version is still dongle free, and we have been extremely happy with it for developing 8051 code. -- Richard

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference