Why does two channels of ADC give different outputs?

Started by Frank November 29, 2005
"Meindert Sprang" <mhsprang@NOcustomSPAMware.nl> wrote in message
> "Frank" <Frank@Frank.com> wrote in message > news:dmk525$34f$1@reader01.singnet.com.sg... > > Ah! I understand what you mean now. PHY_EN is a stable signal, while my > > clock > > period is 25ns, in each frame, digital side is sending some 1200 I/Q > > samples, > > one pair of samples each cycle and unchanged throughout the clock cycle. > > > > From the datasheet of ADC, I don't see there is any Rd or CD signal,
it's
> as > > plain as ADC outputs are hold stable and change every 25ns. > > That is correct. The rising edge of ENCa and b (clock) sample the signal
and
> on the falling edge, a valid word can be read from the databus. So your > analyzer should trigger on the falling edge of the ENC signal > > > Meindert > >
I was aware of this, however now I am asynchronously sampling at 400MHz, thus I am expecting each I/Q sample to be stable and correct for at least 22.5ns assuming the LA has miscaptured for one 2.5ns cycle.
"Frank" <Francis.invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I was aware of this, however now I am asynchronously sampling at 400MHz, > thus > I am expecting each I/Q sample to be stable and correct for at least
22.5ns
> assuming > the LA has miscaptured for one 2.5ns cycle.
Are you saying that within one ENC cycle, the data is not stable around the falling clock edge? Meindert
"Frank" <Frank@Frank.com> wrote in message
> > "Meindert Sprang" <mhsprang@NOcustomSPAMware.nl> wrote in message > news:11oqpeup6ur1k50@corp.supernews.com... > > "Frank" <Francis.invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message > > news:438d4f5d$1@news.starhub.net.sg... > >> In my digital side, I have a PHY_EN pin which is high when the digital > >> circuit repetitively sends > >> out same data, and the digital circuits work for 30us and idle for
10us.
> > On > >> logic analyzer, I set > >> the LA to start filling in the internal memory (256K) once PHY_EN is > >> high, > >> thus I can capture > >> 20 repetitions. I am sure the data capture is correct. > > > > And I am not. this PHY_EN signal, what does it drive on the processor? > > I can imagine that it just signals the processor data is available and > > that > > consequently, the processor issues bus cycles (set an address or CE, > > activate RD, read data, deactivate Rd and CE) to read the data. This
means
> > that data on the bus during this 30us is not data from the ADC all the > > time. > > Only when the ADC is read during the bus read cycle, valid ADC data is > > readable on the bus. > > > > Meindert > > > > > > Ah! I understand what you mean now. PHY_EN is a stable signal, while my > clock > period is 25ns, in each frame, digital side is sending some 1200 I/Q > samples, > one pair of samples each cycle and unchanged throughout the clock cycle. > > From the datasheet of ADC, I don't see there is any Rd or CD signal, it's
as
> plain as ADC outputs are hold stable and change every 25ns. > > After all is done, I think I had better flag a "faulty ADC board" message
> the up layer. since even when I disconnect ADC input, many of the pins > mentioned > below still to high level, sampled by a logic analyzer's 400MHz clock. > > Left channel, > bit 7,5 stick to 0, bit 9,4 switches during active, stick to 1 in idle
mode,
> bit 8,6,3,2 switches during > active, stick to 0 during idle (I expect 9:2 of both channel to behave in > this manner), bit 1:0 are > switching during idle and active (noise during idle mode). > > >
Sigh! What should I say!!! After working a number of times, I realized that the god damned LA strobes are broken, and managed to sort out the broken ones with an everchanging pin. With this discovery, I think I will get on much easier.