What microcontroller to buy?

Started by Unknown December 13, 2005
Kadir Solid Gold Suleyman wrote:

> MCF5282 eval board from axman.com > *< 1w > *64k ram on chip + flash > *rs232, CAN Ethernet > *gdb from ocdemon.com with insight tcl/tk wrapper > *gcc > *$149 wiggler cable for flashing microcontroller and debugging
Maybe I am missing something but I can find no reference to Insight or ocdemon on the axman website. And the price is listed as $329 which with the $149 for the wiggler cable makes it a tad expensive. Ian
I very much would not recommend using any 8051 variant, considering what is
now available.  Those are very inefficient processors that offer nothing
other than their ubiquity.

The MSP suggested below is a good choice for low power apps, but runs at
only 8Mhz (16MHz for a few).

Andrew wrote:
> I very much would not recommend using any 8051 variant, considering what is > now available. Those are very inefficient processors that offer nothing > other than their ubiquity. > > The MSP suggested below is a good choice for low power apps, but runs at > only 8Mhz (16MHz for a few).
Is there a MSP430 with USB ? - plenty of 80C51 variants with USB, at 1/12/480Mbd..... Also, you'll find SPI _and_ UART are sparse/non existant on the smaller MSP430's -jg
Andrew wrote:

> I very much would not recommend using any 8051 variant, considering what > is > now available. Those are very inefficient processors that offer nothing > other than their ubiquity. >
First, please do not top post. Second the 8051, despite its age, is still the most used 8 bit microcontroller. It is not inefficient - it has many bit level instructions ideal for embedded applications and the fastest variants are capable of 100 MIPS. Ian
Jim Granville wrote:
> Andrew wrote: > >> I very much would not recommend using any 8051 variant, considering >> what is now available. Those are very inefficient processors that >> offer nothing other than their ubiquity. >> >> The MSP suggested below is a good choice for low power apps, but runs >> at only 8Mhz (16MHz for a few). > > > Is there a MSP430 with USB ? - plenty of 80C51 variants with USB, at > 1/12/480Mbd..... >
Whick 80c51 variant has 480Mb ??
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 05:59:11 -0700, Donald <donald@dontdoithere.com>
wrote:

> [...]
Cypress FX2 has full 480Mbit/sec
Vic wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 05:59:11 -0700, Donald <donald@dontdoithere.com> > wrote: > > >>> Is there a MSP430 with USB ? - plenty of 80C51 variants with USB, at >>>1/12/480Mbd..... >>> >> >> Whick 80c51 variant has 480Mb ?? >> >> > > > Cypress FX2 has full 480Mbit/sec
WOW, thank you. donald