PICF877 usb interface?

Started by tony November 12, 2004
Hello embedded systems gurus ;)  I have a general question about the
PICF877.  I was wondering if there is a way  to interface it with mini
USB through software, meaning i dont wanna have to buy a mini-USB to
RS232 adapter.  Thanks in advance
-Tony
tony wrote:
> Hello embedded systems gurus ;) I have a general question about the > PICF877. I was wondering if there is a way to interface it with mini > USB through software, meaning i dont wanna have to buy a mini-USB to > RS232 adapter. Thanks in advance > -Tony
Tell me more about the mini-USB to RS232 adapter that can do this job? I need one. mike -- Return address is VALID. 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 $2200 http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121 Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below. http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
There are NO pins on the F877 that would be compatible with USB.
There is NO software solution for this hardware problem.

( where do these people come from ??? )

tony wrote:

> Hello embedded systems gurus ;) I have a general question about the > PICF877. I was wondering if there is a way to interface it with mini > USB through software, meaning i dont wanna have to buy a mini-USB to > RS232 adapter. Thanks in advance > -Tony
The simplest way is the get an FDTI chip.
"tony" <tdusek@engineering.uiowa.edu> wrote in message
> Hello embedded systems gurus ;) I have a general question about the > PICF877. I was wondering if there is a way to interface it with mini > USB through software, meaning i dont wanna have to buy a mini-USB to > RS232 adapter. Thanks in advance > -Tony
Do you mean how to communicate with a pc ? You could use the pics usart via rs232 and use a usb to rs232 adaptor to talk to the pc or as someone else suggested ftdi usb to rs232 chip You could talk with usb via a bit banging routine but would be very slow and not really worth the effort. Better to use a usb pic like 16c745 or 16c765 or 18f4550 / 4455/2550/2455 pics supposedly available in december http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=111&mid=10&lang=en&pageId=74 Alex

From USA ? No wonder USA outsource every little bit to India. Pozdrawiam. -- RusH // http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019 Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.
hamilton <hamilton@deminsional.com> wrote in message news:<419562ef$1_2@omega.dimensional.com>...
> There are NO pins on the F877 that would be compatible with USB. > There is NO software solution for this hardware problem. > > ( where do these people come from ??? ) > > tony wrote: > > Hello embedded systems gurus ;) I have a general question about the > > PICF877. I was wondering if there is a way to interface it with mini > > USB through software, meaning i dont wanna have to buy a mini-USB to > > RS232 adapter. Thanks in advance > > -Tony
hamilton: OK, thats what i was wondering...thats why i asked. No need to be all pissy about it.
Hi Tony,

	In groups like these, it is good netiquette to at least look on the
manuals before just asking question that would have been obvious if you
spent any time at all.

It is obvious that you never even tried.

I enjoy helping a student or fellow engineer with simple and difficult
problems. But this was just dumb.

I hope something was learned.

I could have just said "dumb a**" and just let you figure it out yourself.

hamilton

"hamilton" <hamilton@deminsional.com> skrev i meddelandet news:4196b41f$1_3@omega.dimensional.com...
> Hi Tony, > > In groups like these, it is good netiquette to at least look on the > manuals before just asking question that would have been obvious if you > spent any time at all. > > It is obvious that you never even tried. > > I enjoy helping a student or fellow engineer with simple and difficult > problems. But this was just dumb. > > I hope something was learned. > > I could have just said "dumb a**" and just let you figure it out yourself. > > hamilton
http://www.cesko.host.sk/IgorPlugUSB/IgorPlug-USB%20(AVR)_eng.htm Not 100% USB compatible, but it is pure S/W and appears to work It uses an AVR though! -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This is a personal view which may or may not be share by my Employer Atmel Nordic AB
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:21:35 +0100, "Ulf Samuelsson"
<ulf@atmel.nospam.com> wrote:
>http://www.cesko.host.sk/IgorPlugUSB/IgorPlug-USB%20(AVR)_eng.htm > >Not 100% USB compatible, but it is pure S/W and appears to work >It uses an AVR though!
Wow, that is pretty awesome. His site is not too clear, but he claims 100% compatibility with Low speed usb. What is not compatible? It has got to be pretty tough running at 12 Mips to bit bang 1.5Mbit per second USB, which requires differential signaling AND bit stuffing. The processor would have 8 instructions per bit. The maximum packet size is 8, so the max number of bits is 8 (sync) 8 (data0/1) and 8*8 data bytes plus 16 bits crc. So worst case it is 96 bits of transfer plus bitstuffing which could worst case add 16 bits to a total of 112 bits. This has to be sent without gaps in 75 microseconds. I haven't looked at his code, and I don't know the avr, but maybe an inline chunk of code could do that? I bet he does have some problems in meeting spec for the ACK packet which has to follow reception of a data packet in a few bit times. Especially if he checks the crc. When I get some time I'll look at his code, but it still is an achievement with that slow a processor. Regards, Steve