What kind of cell is there in a Serial flash?

Started by York May 17, 2006
"Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote in message
> >> How about the Bad Block Management. > >> Is it neccessary? > > > > If the blocks are not power-of-two sized eg 528 then the extra bytes are > > intended for error correction, which means errors are to be expected. > > > > Peter > > > That is a load of dingos kidneys...
What happened to proper attribution. If I'm talking dingo's kidneys then at least tell everyone who said it!
> Errors are to be expected in NAND flash devices, but not in NOR flash > devices. > The device organisation has nothing to do with how the memory cell
operates. No, of course not, but it is a hint at how the manufacturer expected the device to be used. Now it code be that the device is a NOR device that emulates a NAND part... And... OK... do you know of any NOR parts that use non-power-of-two sectors or NAND parts that use power-of-two but don't internally do the error correction?
> There is a finite number of erase cycle on any flash memory. > Errors are ALWAYS to be expected when you are close to the limit on erase > cycles
Indeedly-doo!
> The errors that will occur, results in bits not beeing able to erase > properly. > > The AT45 is NOR based and not NAND based so there should be no difference
in
> errors > compared to a standard parallel flash memory. > Adding extra bytes (like in the AT45 series) will allow you to extend the > life of the device BEYOND > the 50,000-100,000 cycles specified in the device (never devices are
better
> than the original devices).
OK, so that answers my question above.
> Some other key AT45 advantages are > * Small sector size (256-1024 bytes + extra) > * Dual SRAM databuffers allows fast read/modify write > * Common pinout from 1 Mbit to 64 Mbit. > > > Wear leveling is required for any flash.
Yep.
> Again the extra bytes helps because you can keep wear leveling info inside > the block. > Simplifies a lot
Can be very useful. Peter
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>>> How about the Bad Block Management. >>> Is it neccessary? >> If the blocks are not power-of-two sized eg 528 then the extra bytes are >> intended for error correction, which means errors are to be expected. >> >> Peter >> > > That is a load of dingos kidneys... > Errors are to be expected in NAND flash devices, but not in NOR flash > devices. > The device organisation has nothing to do with how the memory cell operates. > > There is a finite number of erase cycle on any flash memory. > Errors are ALWAYS to be expected when you are close to the limit on erase > cycles > The errors that will occur, results in bits not beeing able to erase > properly. > > The AT45 is NOR based and not NAND based so there should be no difference in > errors > compared to a standard parallel flash memory. > Adding extra bytes (like in the AT45 series) will allow you to extend the > life of the device BEYOND > the 50,000-100,000 cycles specified in the device (never devices are better > than the original devices). > > Some other key AT45 advantages are > * Small sector size (256-1024 bytes + extra) > * Dual SRAM databuffers allows fast read/modify write > * Common pinout from 1 Mbit to 64 Mbit. > > > Wear leveling is required for any flash. > Again the extra bytes helps because you can keep wear leveling info inside > the block. > Simplifies a lot >
In summary, Peter said that flash with non power-of-two block sizes has extra space per block to allow for error correction and other metadata to take into account bad bits. You, Ulf, said this was a load of dingos' kidneys because the Atmel serial flash has non power-of-two block sizes to allow for error correction and other metadata to take into account bad bits beyond the typical error-free lifetime of the flash. In other words, Peter is entirely correct. It's just that the AT45 has a longer expected error-free lifetime, being NOR flash rather than NAND flash.
> In summary, Peter said that flash with non power-of-two block sizes has > extra space per block to allow for error correction and other metadata to > take into account bad bits. You, Ulf, said this was a load of dingos' > kidneys because the Atmel serial flash has non power-of-two block sizes to > allow for error correction and other metadata to take into account bad > bits beyond the typical error-free lifetime of the flash. >
Please read his post again. He said that any parts which has the extra bytes are inherently unreliable. I.E. reading from a parallel flash with power of two are more likely to succeed without errors than reading from a part with non-power of two and THAT is a load of ... The dataflash without use of extra bits should be as reliable as a normal parallel flash with 64 kB sectors.
> In other words, Peter is entirely correct. It's just that the AT45 has a > longer expected error-free lifetime, being NOR flash rather than NAND > flash.
-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may bot be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
> > > In summary, Peter said that flash with non power-of-two block sizes has > > extra space per block to allow for error correction and other metadata
> > take into account bad bits. You, Ulf, said this was a load of dingos' > > kidneys because the Atmel serial flash has non power-of-two block sizes
> > allow for error correction and other metadata to take into account bad > > bits beyond the typical error-free lifetime of the flash. > > > > Please read his post again. > He said that any parts which has the extra bytes are inherently
unreliable.
> I.E. reading from a parallel flash with power of two are more likely to > succeed > without errors than reading from a part with non-power of two > and THAT is a load of ...
Well that wasn't quite what I meant, even if thats how you take it. The point was that the extra bytes in a sector are often intended for error detection and correction. I that case errors might be expected in use. NAND memories are less reliable the NOR, so NAND is more likely to need the bytes. Of course the is just a guide, and of course you could do the correction in power-of-two sectors, and of course you can do it with parallel Flash, even on the fly, with a 32+7 ECC (say).
> The dataflash without use of extra bits should be as reliable as a normal > parallel flash with 64 kB sectors.
NOR.
> > In other words, Peter is entirely correct. It's just that the AT45 has
> > longer expected error-free lifetime, being NOR flash rather than NAND > > flash. >
I don't think that I am entirely correct, wish I were. Now, when is my appointment with the antipodian canine urologist... Peter