PicForth 1.0 is released

Started by Unknown November 9, 2004
Samuel Tardieu <sam@rfc1149.net> wrote in message news:<87oei63r7x.fsf@beeblebrox.rfc1149.net>...
> [...]
Funny, I am looking at your page in Internet Explorer and it looks just fine. I guess it is easier to write quality products for the Mac. :) And I concur. As consumers we should demand quality in our software, as with any other product. Well done on getting to 1.0! Now if only it supported the 18xx PICs we could use it on our rocket.... (http://psas.pdx.edu/) Ian Osgood
Ian Osgood wrote:

>Funny, I am looking at your page in Internet Explorer and it >looks just fine. I guess it is easier to write quality >products for the Mac. :)
I know you meant it as a joke, but it turns out to be true. When I study bug lists for MS IE, MS Office, etc. I often find a note saying that the Mac version works fine. I hardly ever find the opposite.

Jaguar owners are like that too. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
"Guy Macon" <http://www.guymacon.com> wrote in message
> > Ian Osgood wrote: > > >Funny, I am looking at your page in Internet Explorer and it > >looks just fine. I guess it is easier to write quality > >products for the Mac. :) > > I know you meant it as a joke, but it turns out to be true. > When I study bug lists for MS IE, MS Office, etc. I often find > a note saying that the Mac version works fine. I hardly ever > find the opposite.
Windows is a fiendishly difficult OS to write programs for (and don't even think about mentioning device drivers). When I started working on my Windows Forth system, I expected to spend maybe a few weeks (or at most a few months) learning what I needed to know. I can get a handle on most operating systems is a few days. It took months to learn enough to even know where to start. If I had even dreamed that it would take several years, I would have run away screaming before I started. Microsoft's motto should be "complex answers to simple problems". -- -GJC [MS Windows SDK MVP] -Software Consultant (Embedded systems and Real Time Controls) - http://www.mvps.org/ArcaneIncantations/consulting.htm -gchanson@mvps.org
"Gary Chanson" <gchanson@No.Spam.TheWorld.net> wrote in message news:<iLAkd.2911$4U1.1760@trndny05>...
> > Microsoft's motto should be "complex answers to simple problems".
Maybe they have two separate sets of documentation: The simple stuff used by their own programmers and the obfuscated mess they ship to outside developers. Brad
"Gary Chanson" <gchanson@No.Spam.TheWorld.net> writes:
> "Guy Macon" <http://www.guymacon.com> wrote > > Ian Osgood wrote: > > > > >Funny, I am looking at your page in Internet Explorer and it > > >looks just fine. I guess it is easier to write quality > > >products for the Mac. :) > > > > I know you meant it as a joke, but it turns out to be true. > > When I study bug lists for MS IE, MS Office, etc. I often find > > a note saying that the Mac version works fine. I hardly ever > > find the opposite. > > Windows is a fiendishly difficult OS to write programs for (and don't > even think about mentioning device drivers). When I started working on my > Windows Forth system, I expected to spend maybe a few weeks (or at most a > few months) learning what I needed to know. I can get a handle on most > operating systems is a few days. It took months to learn enough to even > know where to start. If I had even dreamed that it would take several > years, I would have run away screaming before I started. > > Microsoft's motto should be "complex answers to simple problems".
The Evil Empire reincarnate! M$ likes to produce a complicated, overblown, buggy, klooj solution to problems that others have solved a decade or more previously. The hardware manufactuers' must love M$, though.
"Brad Eckert" <nospaambrad1@tinyboot.com> wrote in message
> "Gary Chanson" <gchanson@No.Spam.TheWorld.net> wrote in message
Yes and no. They use the same database but there are some articles which are only available to insiders and bigger customers (and MVPs). The only real difference seems to be that the more restricted articles cover things which are less stable and harder to support. They don't intentionally obfuscate anything. They do make a substantial effort to document as much as possible (within the limits of what they're willing to support) and make it as clear as possible. Most of the bug reports I file are on errors or omissions in the public documentation and most result in improvements being made. Probably the biggest difference between what information is available to independent developers and insiders is that insiders have direct access to the source code. Outsiders (including MVPs) at best get very limited access to it. I have access to only the source for the core of the operating system and then only with tools that are almost unusable (which reminds me that I need to get my smart card renewed). If Microsoft developers really did have access to significantly better documentation, I expect that the quality of their code would be substantially better. On the other hand, throwing away numerous levels of complexity would make even more difference. -- -GJC [MS Windows SDK MVP] -Software Consultant (Embedded systems and Real Time Controls) - http://www.mvps.org/ArcaneIncantations/consulting.htm -gchanson@mvps.org
Gary Chanson wrote:
> Probably the biggest difference between what information is available > to independent developers and insiders is that insiders have direct > access to the source code. Outsiders (including MVPs) at best get > very limited access to it.
The worst thing that happend was with Windows 95 and the corresponding MS Office. This replaced about half of the operating system, because Windows 95 was too buggy to run MS Office (hey, they even had an off-by-one error in the polygon fill routine!). -- Bernd Paysan "If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself" http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/

I'd rather be on my feet than on my back. -- Mike Page BEng(Hons) MIEE www.eclectic-web.co.uk "Ask a Liberal Democrat, while he still knows everything"
Mike Page wrote:
> Kelly Hall wrote: > >> Guy Macon wrote: >> >>> The website does NOT have any quality issues. It is well-written >>> XHTML that validates perfectly, and the design has a nice clean CSS >>> based approach. >>> >>> It is Internet Explorer that has quality issues. IE doesn't follow >>> the standards. Alas, a lot of people use it, so the web designer >>> must find workarounds for Microsoft's buggy code. >> >> >> >> Oh my! The most common HTML rendering tool doesn't follow the >> "standard". Whatever shall we do? I guess we'll just stamp our >> little feet and cry. > > > I'd rather be on my feet than on my back.
That must make it hard to sleep. Anyway, when I encounter problems in IE that affect pages I write, sometimes I attempt to express the same notion using different syntax -- still adherent to the W3C recommendation (XHTML Strict is my preferred flavor), but rendered correctly by IE. In one case, although the problem was manifested only on IE due to a bug in that browser, I found that there really was an error in my page that triggered it. Specifically, it had to do with the so-called IE "feature" of identifying the encoding and specifically ignoring the declared encoding. In my case, both my page and IE were technically incorrect. Ed

Memfault Beyond the Launch