Hardware book like "Code Complete"?

Started by Davy July 20, 2006
I read the whole thread and no one recommended "The Art Of Electronics"
by Horowitz and Hill??

BobG wrote:
> I read the whole thread and no one recommended "The Art Of Electronics" > by Horowitz and Hill??
That's more of an electronics book than an RTL book. -- Mike Treseler
It _is_ an electronics book. There is one mention of RTL, but it's 'resistor-transistor logic'. Not quite the same thing. A bientot Paul -- Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth) Surgery: ennobled Gerald.
KJ wrote:
> > Many hands make light work. Get a couple of dozen of > > experienced designers, a bunch of proof reading fact > > checkers and one decent editor and you got yourself > > an open source book writing project. > > > > Put it out on sourceforge for free and make it useful for any > > digital designer at any stage in their career or hobby.Do > > a really good job and it can become the "bible" of the > > industry that everyone has in the library. > > > Certainly an interesting idea. > > > > Do we have the critical mass to pull something like this off? > > > Always a big question...the other important question is finding the > 'leader' to prod this along to get it going in the first place. > > KJ
A few months ago a similar Idea was posted on an ASIC and Digital design community at Orkut. The basic Idea was a) To collect class notes/Presentation on a particular topic and expand it to a book or b) A person will come up with the book outline and others will submit articles on specific topics and flesh it out The final goal being to get a set of books on hardware design. You can check the details at http://edaindia.com/books/ Regards H.H.I Tracy ....
vijayvithal jahagirdar wrote:
> A few months ago a similar Idea was posted on an ASIC and Digital > design community at Orkut. The basic Idea was > a) To collect class notes/Presentation on a particular topic and expand > it to a book or > b) A person will come up with the book outline and others will submit > articles on specific topics and flesh it out > The final goal being to get a set of books on hardware design. You can > check the details at http://edaindia.com/books/ > > Regards > H.H.I Tracy
Why not go with Wikipedia? It's so easy for anyone to add to. Just host the wikipedia software on some other server, if Wikipedia's policies aren't satisfactory. -Dave

One could use http://wikibooks.org or http://wikia.com/ for hosting. I too think that such a book project is doomed if the hurdle for contributing is too high. Cheers, Colin
Colin Marquardt wrote:
> David Ashley <dash@nowhere.net.dont.email.me> writes: > > > > Why not go with Wikipedia? It's so easy for anyone to add to. > > Just host the wikipedia software on some other server, if > > Wikipedia's policies aren't satisfactory. > > One could use http://wikibooks.org or http://wikia.com/ for hosting. > I too think that such a book project is doomed if the hurdle for > contributing is too high. > > Cheers, > Colin
Most of the contributors to this thread seem to agree that writing a Speciality book does not justify the effort that needs to be put in. The reasons stated are 1> Small number of Digital designers. 2> Long time required to finish writing the book. As an example suppose I decide to write a document on "VHDL/Verilog coding style for Low Power mixed signal designs" which basically collates the various material available on this topic in Public domain and presents it in an easy to read and implement format. Out of the estimated 10,000 Digital design engineers only a couple of hundreds engineers (for e.g. those working on chips for handheld applications) will actually find the book useful to the work at hand and will be actually interested in buying the book. This makes the effort put in writing the book commerically unviable. Now suppose as a part of my normal work(either academic or otherwise) I come up with a similar document which my funding organisation allows me to put in public domain. I would rather prefer to put it as is(ppt,word,pdf,ps,html etc.) and move on to the next pending work, rather than rewrite the document in the format required by wiki. I think in such a situation one of the following approach may be suitable 1> Upload the document to my personal website and post the url to usenet and other forums. 2> Upload the document to a common repository(Some place for electronic documents similar to what CPAN is for Perl code or CTAN for tex macros) say a sharepoint or a twiki or an interface similar to CPAN. Collecting a set of similar articles, say on the topic of "digital design in a low power mixed signal design" written by different authors would give those 200 engineers working in this field a standard reference. Due to the different formats and writing styles it would not be a proper book but it can act as a loosely bound reference material At a later date if this does turn out to be a hot topic and a demand exists for a published text then it should be possible to get the proper permissions form the respective authors and cleanup the formatting linearise the content and publish the book. Regards Vijay

Speaking as someone who's written three speciality-ish engineering books (go to www.larwe.com and look down the left-hand column for links to the books), the point of writing a volume like this is one of two things: 1. Get it picked up as a textbook or training book in college or by one of the major semi manufacturers. 2. Treat it as advertising. Route 1 can lead to respectable direct profits. Route 2 leads to indirect profits through consultancy and so forth. Do not expect to make your fortune through route 1; the real money is in route 2 but requires more work to realize. Your book is the dynamite that exposes a seam of gold. Significant pick-work is necessary to extract the gold and bring it to town for conversion into cash.
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Andy Glew wrote: > >> Care to estimate the size of the market? >> >> I.e. how much would the author expect to make, given typical >> publishing contracts? > > Speaking as someone who's written three speciality-ish engineering > books (go to www.larwe.com and look down the left-hand column for > links > to the books), the point of writing a volume like this is one of two > things: > > 1. Get it picked up as a textbook or training book in college or by > one > of the major semi manufacturers. > > 2. Treat it as advertising. > > Route 1 can lead to respectable direct profits. Route 2 leads to > indirect profits through consultancy and so forth. Do not expect to > make your fortune through route 1; the real money is in route 2 but > requires more work to realize. > > Your book is the dynamite that exposes a seam of gold. Significant > pick-work is necessary to extract the gold and bring it to town for > conversion into cash. >
Must it always be about the money? Won't somebody think of the children ;-)

Memfault Beyond the Launch