Security chip for replacing smartcard?

Started by Matthias July 26, 2006
Frank-Christian Kruegel wrote:

> On 26 Jul 2006 23:56:35 -0700, "Matthias" <news@ingbh.de> wrote: > >The iButtons seem to be very close to our requirements, but > >unfortunately they have a case that does not allow soldering them on > >the PCB. One could consider a kind of socket, but I do not think that > >is the way we will choose. > > All iButtons are also available as chips. Look at: > > DS28E01-100 http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4766 > DS2432 http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2914
That's an even better pointer, thanks! This seems to be what I was looking for. If there are still other options I would like to know, though, to be able to compare prices and capabilities. Thanks, Matthias
Matthias <news@ingbh.de> wrote:

> in our design we would like to replace a smartcard by a kind of > security chip or security module. The chip has to provide:
> - unique ID / serial number > - secure key management
This begs one question, and suggests one answer. The question is: why on earth would you want to do that? The answer is: you seem to be looking for a TPM. That's exactly the kind of chip you're after, and it's in the process of becoming a standard part on PC mainboards. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote:

> Matthias <news@ingbh.de> wrote: > > > in our design we would like to replace a smartcard by a kind of > > security chip or security module. The chip has to provide: > > > - unique ID / serial number > > - secure key management > > This begs one question, and suggests one answer. > > The question is: why on earth would you want to do that?
To do what: Replacing the smart card or requesting those features? ;-) The answer to the first one is mainly "reducing total costs" (before there is another question: to elaborate this I would have to go into details I do not want to disclose here). To answer the second one, I recommend the maxim application note 3675 (http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/3675) where the basic concept is described.
> The answer is: you seem to be looking for a TPM. That's exactly the > kind of chip you're after, and it's in the process of becoming a > standard part on PC mainboards.
No. If a TPM was the most cost-efficient and easy-to-implement solution for our requirements, then I would consider using a TPM. But as it seems, that is not the case... Regards, Matthias
Matthias wrote:
> Frank-Christian Kruegel wrote: > > > On 26 Jul 2006 23:56:35 -0700, "Matthias" <news@ingbh.de> wrote: > > >The iButtons seem to be very close to our requirements, but > > >unfortunately they have a case that does not allow soldering them on > > >the PCB. One could consider a kind of socket, but I do not think that > > >is the way we will choose. > > > > All iButtons are also available as chips. Look at: > > > > DS28E01-100 http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4766 > > DS2432 http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2914 > > That's an even better pointer, thanks! This seems to be what I was > looking for. > > If there are still other options I would like to know, though, to be > able to compare prices and capabilities. >
>From this point, thank you very much, do your own research,
you lazy asshole. You lazy f**king asshole. What a jerk!