Cheapest ethernet controller

Started by Pelos January 16, 2007
Hi,
I'm looking for a cheapest ethernet controller (MAC + PHY) on the market.
The main goals are :
* 10/100Mbit
* Non-PCI Data BUS, connection with microcontroller (16bit or 32bit width)

I have my favourite but any other suggestions are welcome :-)

Best regards

--
Pelos
http://twarm.pelos.pl

"Pelos" <pelos@pelos.pl> writes:

> I'm looking for a cheapest ethernet controller (MAC + PHY) on the market. > The main goals are : > * 10/100Mbit > * Non-PCI Data BUS, connection with microcontroller (16bit or 32bit width) > > I have my favourite but any other suggestions are welcome :-)
My favorite is the Freescale ColdFire MCF5223x which includes both a microcontroller, SRAM, FLASH, MAC and PHY for ca. $10. Petter -- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Petter Gustad wrote:
> > My favorite is the Freescale ColdFire MCF5223x which includes both a > microcontroller, SRAM, FLASH, MAC and PHY for ca. $10.
Have you found a distributor which actually has them? I've had an eval board since May, and our own boards waiting for chips since this summer, but none of our distributors seem able to get us even prototype quantities of parts to solder on them. MAJOR dissapointment! I'm concluding the part is in practical terms, vaporware...
cs_posting@hotmail.com writes:

> Petter Gustad wrote: > > > > My favorite is the Freescale ColdFire MCF5223x which includes both a > > microcontroller, SRAM, FLASH, MAC and PHY for ca. $10. > > Have you found a distributor which actually has them?
No, I haven't tried. I'm still working on my EVB and I expect to do so for several months...
> I've had an eval board since May, and our own boards waiting for chips > since this summer, but none of our distributors seem able to get us > even prototype quantities of parts to solder on them. MAJOR > dissapointment! > > I'm concluding the part is in practical terms, vaporware...
Alarming! What is their explanation? Have they given you any estimated delivery time? Petter -- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Pelos wrote:
> I'm looking for a cheapest ethernet controller (MAC + PHY) on the market. > The main goals are : > * 10/100Mbit > * Non-PCI Data BUS, connection with microcontroller (16bit or 32bit width)
Your options for non-PCI 10/100 are very limited, so "cheap" may be asking too much. This is the full set of options I've found, short of an MCU with it integrated... http://www.asix.com.tw/emb-non_ax88796.htm http://www.davicom.com.tw/eng/products/dm9000.htm http://www.smsc.com/main/catalog/lan91c111.html http://www.micrel.com/page.do?page=product-info/embedded_control.jsp So, what's your favorite, and why keep us in suspense? Cheers, Richard

  USB is king , it killed FireWire and ethernet .

 USB fixed the cable problem ,  Its differential , balanced
 line has no coupling  , as Cat5e DOES !

  I do transmission lines ,

   Public demand is USB .

    Im building an ARM9 pocket PC .

  GP2X game box , plus a

   DigiMate II ( HDD +card readers )

   a clever "softkey" KB and some 8aHr Lithiums and

   i will operate for 16 hours on a charge !

    GP2X has 2D video accel' , 1024 by 768 , 24bit color .

    It   has a 3.5" QVGA .

    Ill add PSRAM to boot Linux in 0.1 seconds  .

Uzytkownik "Richard H." <rh86@no.spam> napisal w wiadomosci
Hi Richard, My favourite is dm9000. Thanks to your email - I forgot about micrel company ;) Best regards, -- Pelos http://twarm.pelos.pl
"werty" <werty@swissinfo.org> wrote in message
> > GP2X game box , plus a > > DigiMate II ( HDD +card readers ) > > a clever "softkey" KB and some 8aHr Lithiums and > > i will operate for 16 hours on a charge ! > > GP2X has 2D video accel' , 1024 by 768 , 24bit color . > > It has a 3.5" QVGA . > > Ill add PSRAM to boot Linux in 0.1 seconds .
Why don't you concentrate your efforts on squeezing more out of the batteries the GP2X already has? If you're as great as you say you are then I'm sure the GP2X community will be delighted to receive your insight. However, you only seem to talk about what you're going to do rather than what you've done....
Uzytkownik "werty" <werty@swissinfo.org> napisal w wiadomosci
Yeah. And they lived happily ever after. -- Pelos http://twarm.pelos.pl
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:07:33 +0100, "Pelos" <pelos@pelos.pl> wrote:

> >Uzytkownik "werty" <werty@swissinfo.org> napisal w wiadomosci >news:1169008619.426019.323480@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... >> >> >> USB is king , it killed FireWire and ethernet . >> >Yeah. And they lived happily ever after.
He/She is a funny Guy/Gal. Made me chuckle. Last i checked though ethernet was still alive a doing very well.