ARM LPC22xx development tools

Started by okalex February 7, 2007
Hi folks,

Instead of using a Coldfire core (as I wrote in a previous post), I've
decided to use the NXP (Philips) LPC2210, as it's cheap and has a
large enough memory bus to handle the 4MB SRAM we're going to use.  I
now need to decide upon a development kit and software tools.  The
dev. board has to have Ethernet capabilities, preferably using an
RTL8019AS, though a CS8900A would be okay, RS-232, on-board flash
(512kB should be enough) and RAM (4MB would be nice, but not
necessary), and all of the useful pins (memory bus, I2C, GPIO) should
be brought out on headers to interface with the other devices in the
system.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  Preferred vendors?
Which vendors are known for best quality/support?

In addition, I'll need to decide upon software development tools.
Would anyone care to chime in regarding their preferred toolset, and
their reasons for that preference?

Thanks in advance,
Alex Parkinson

On Feb 7, 3:02 pm, "okalex" <oka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks, > > Instead of using a Coldfire core (as I wrote in a previous post), I've > decided to use the NXP (Philips) LPC2210, as it's cheap and has a > large enough memory bus to handle the 4MB SRAM we're going to use. I > now need to decide upon a development kit and software tools. The > dev. board has to have Ethernet capabilities, preferably using an > RTL8019AS, though a CS8900A would be okay, RS-232, on-board flash > (512kB should be enough) and RAM (4MB would be nice, but not > necessary), and all of the useful pins (memory bus, I2C, GPIO) should > be brought out on headers to interface with the other devices in the > system. Does anyone have any recommendations? Preferred vendors? > Which vendors are known for best quality/support? > > In addition, I'll need to decide upon software development tools. > Would anyone care to chime in regarding their preferred toolset, and > their reasons for that preference?
I can tell you that I have tried the Keil tools from ARM and was not impressed. The watch window in one case would not display a variable. In several (many) cases a local variable would display wrong values when the register assignment changed in mid routine. I have not done enough with the IAR tools to say if they work better, but that is what we use at work.
In article <1170878535.599185.5550@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
okalex@gmail.com says...
> Hi folks, > > Instead of using a Coldfire core (as I wrote in a previous post), I've > decided to use the NXP (Philips) LPC2210, as it's cheap and has a > large enough memory bus to handle the 4MB SRAM we're going to use. I > now need to decide upon a development kit and software tools. The > dev. board has to have Ethernet capabilities, preferably using an > RTL8019AS, though a CS8900A would be okay, RS-232, on-board flash > (512kB should be enough) and RAM (4MB would be nice, but not > necessary), and all of the useful pins (memory bus, I2C, GPIO) should > be brought out on headers to interface with the other devices in the > system. Does anyone have any recommendations? Preferred vendors? > Which vendors are known for best quality/support?
I used a Phytec phyCORE development board (equipped with an LPC2294) for development until my LPC2210 board was ready. It can accept up to 8MB SRAM and 16MB flash, though the "base" board I used has 1MB SRAM and 2MB flash standard. It is TINY, but brings all signals out to fine-pitch connectors. I got Phytec's carrier board for the phyCORE, which brings all the I/O out to standard connectors, and an optional breadboard that plugs onto the carrier board. Phytec will sell you the board, or package it with either Keil or IAR tools. Their documentation of the board is first rate. http://www.phytec.com/products/sbc/ARM-XScale/phyCORE-ARM7-LPC229x.html The 2294 is very similar to the 2210, with the primary differences being CAN support and on-chip flash, so it was pretty simple to port to the 2210 when the time came.
> In addition, I'll need to decide upon software development tools. > Would anyone care to chime in regarding their preferred toolset, and > their reasons for that preference?
I use Rowley CrossWorks for ARM, along with the Rowley CrossConnect JTAG adapter. It is a custom IDE and debugger around the GCC compiler, and I have found it excellent in all respects, and Rowley support very responsive. It is also approximately 1/3 the cost of the IAR or Keil tools. http://www.rowley.co.uk/arm/index.htm --Gene
"rickman" <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Feb 7, 3:02 pm, "okalex" <oka...@gmail.com> wrote: >> Hi folks, >> >> Instead of using a Coldfire core (as I wrote in a previous post), I've >> decided to use the NXP (Philips) LPC2210, as it's cheap and has a >> large enough memory bus to handle the 4MB SRAM we're going to use. I >> now need to decide upon a development kit and software tools. The >> dev. board has to have Ethernet capabilities, preferably using an >> RTL8019AS, though a CS8900A would be okay, RS-232, on-board flash >> (512kB should be enough) and RAM (4MB would be nice, but not >> necessary), and all of the useful pins (memory bus, I2C, GPIO) should >> be brought out on headers to interface with the other devices in the >> system. Does anyone have any recommendations? Preferred vendors? >> Which vendors are known for best quality/support? >> >> In addition, I'll need to decide upon software development tools. >> Would anyone care to chime in regarding their preferred toolset, and >> their reasons for that preference? > > I can tell you that I have tried the Keil tools from ARM and was not > impressed. The watch window in one case would not display a > variable. In several (many) cases a local variable would display > wrong values when the register assignment changed in mid routine. > > I have not done enough with the IAR tools to say if they work better, > but that is what we use at work.
IAR can sometimes struggle with register variables, and even file scope statics. On ARM it seems to just tells you that the variable does not exist, whereas on 8051 it displays an incorrect value. Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org + http://www.SafeRTOS.com for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051, PIC24 & dsPIC .... and soon AVR32
Have a look at www.oasistech.co.in Thanks and regards Harshal shete
"Gene S. Berkowitz" <first.last@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <1170878535.599185.5550@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>, > okalex@gmail.com says... > > I use Rowley CrossWorks for ARM, along with the Rowley CrossConnect > JTAG > adapter. It is a custom IDE and debugger around the GCC compiler, and > I > have found it excellent in all respects, and Rowley support very > responsive. It is also approximately 1/3 the cost of the IAR or Keil > tools. > > http://www.rowley.co.uk/arm/index.htm
Seconded.
Of course, if you want to use the GNU ARM tools, you don't have to buy them anywhere. You can download them free at www.gnuarm.com
> On Feb 8, 5:15 am, "Tom Lucas" > <news@REMOVE_auto_THIS_flame_TO_REPLY.clara.co.uk> wrote: >> "Gene S. Berkowitz" <first.l...@comcast.net> wrote in >> messagenews:MPG.203478efb733fe0a989821@newsgroups.comcast.net... >> >> > In article <1170878535.599185.5...@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>, >> > oka...@gmail.com says... >> >> > I use Rowley CrossWorks for ARM, along with the Rowley CrossConnect >> > JTAG >> > adapter. It is a custom IDE and debugger around the GCC compiler, >> > and >> > I >> > have found it excellent in all respects, and Rowley support very >> > responsive. It is also approximately 1/3 the cost of the IAR or >> > Keil >> > tools. >> >> >http://www.rowley.co.uk/arm/index.htm >> >> Seconded. > > Of course, if you want to use the GNU ARM tools, you don't have to buy > them anywhere. You can download them free at www.gnuarm.com
This is true but the small outlay for Rowley's IDE is definitely worth it. Of course, "worth" is all relative to the available budget. Also I'm pretty sure it is cheaper than 1/3 of the cost of the other two.
On Feb 8, 8:38 am, "Tom Lucas"
<news@REMOVE_auto_THIS_flame_TO_REPLY.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> > Of course, if you want to use the GNU ARM tools, you don't have to buy > > them anywhere. You can download them free atwww.gnuarm.com > > This is true but the small outlay for Rowley's IDE is definitely worth > it. Of course, "worth" is all relative to the available budget. Also I'm > pretty sure it is cheaper than 1/3 of the cost of the other two.
To be worth it, it would need to save me about a week of development time (I'm young and just started freelancing, so I don't charge very much) over the life of a six-month project, as opposed to using the free version of the tools combined with Eclipse. In what ways could the Rowley development tools save me time? I imagine imagine most of the time is saved by having a support system available if I ever have any problems and by reducing the amount of time required to set the tools up, correct? It was brought to my attention that the microcontroller I use will need an SDRAM controller, since 4MB of SRAM is expensive (compared to $1 for SDRAM, at least). I've narrowed my search down to a few microcontrollers, and I'd love it if I could get some feedback from the anyone and everyone regarding the merits and pitfalls of these processors. Leading the pack, is the Sharp LH79525. This has everything we need, is fairly inexpensive, and seems to have a decent amount of online support. However, I've seen a few random postings on the internet stating that Sharp is discontinuing the BlueStreak line (for instance, http://www.revely.com/). Is the 79525 a member of the BlueStreak family, and, if so, is there any truth to these rumors? It seems like a fairly new chip, so I'd be amazed if they're end-of-lifing it already. Next up, we've got the OKI ML674001 and 675001. This chip seems pretty good, and the price is great, but I've read that OKI's support for smaller manufacturers is pretty terrible. Also, I couldn't find much of an online community for this chip, so I'm a bit concerned that I'll spend a lot of time troubleshooting problems. The Freescale MCF5270 would be a suitable controller, as well. The only real problem is that I haven't been able to find a low-cost ($300 or less) development board for it. I know that NetBurner makes inexpensive boards for them, but they seem to want you to use they're bundled software, but you have to either use their modules which my employer doesn't want to do for various reasons, or purchase a site license, which is out of our price range. Has anyone had success using their development board for non-NetBurner-based projects? If so, what tools did you use for debugging? The NetBurner engineer I wrote to said that they don't have a BDM header on board. The Freescale MCF5208 would also work well, but I haven't been able to find a distributor who has the QFP version in stock. All I could find was a small number of BGA devices at Digikey. I don't want to go through with the design only to find out later that the QFP is unavailable. Anyone know of a source for these chips? Similarly, the Samsung S3C4510 would work well, but again, I haven't been able to find a vendor who has them in stock. I haven't even found a vendor who has them in their database, so I don't know how much they cost, if I could get a hold of them. The Atmel AT91RM9260 seems like a good part which fits our specifications. It would probably be overkill for our application, but at $11 a piece (in quantities of 100), that's perfectly fine. Like the MCF5270, however, I haven't been able to find an inexpensive development board. The only one I've found is the evaluation kit manufactured by Atmel, which costs nearly $700. Lastly, we've got the NXP LPC2468...sort of. As far as I can tell, this part is only just being released. None of the major distributors have them in stock, so I'm assuming that it's still sampling and hasn't been put into full production yet. I could develop on a LPC2378, but my main concern is relying on a brand-new chip. I've read the NXP has a reputation for their Rev. 0 silicon being extremely buggy (for example, the LPC2378 cannot write to it's external bus). Thoughts or comments on any of the above microcontrollers would be greatly appreciated, and will likely be handsomely rewarded in the afterlife, your next life, or through good karma (depending on your beliefs). Cheers, Alex

Memfault Beyond the Launch